FriedRicer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Ok so last year I bought a brand new OEM ECU for my 2019 CTR. The originally installed ECU in my car has not been jail broken/tuned. My plan initially was to have my new spare ECU jail broken/tuned to Prevent voiding warranty on my originally installed ECU. Well needless to say that didn’t work out since Hondata required purchasing ECUs directly from them and would not accept me sending the spare ECU I bought.. I would like to know if I am now able to jailbreak this spare ECU by purchasing this Kit? And/or what options am I left with is being able to do something in the spare ECU I purchased?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You would have to get Honda to update the brand new ECU with your VIN so it could be jailbroken. You'd also have to get them to match the vehicle immobilizer to the new ECU, which means the original ECU would no longer work as the vehicle can only be matched to one ECU at a time.

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
Hondata, I have a question for you guys.

I have just purchased Flashpro for my european FK8 and when it arrives I will order the remote jail-brake also. I have started to look into the 93 map that from what I understand should be the best match for me using 98 octane RON. I friendly forum member posted the 93 base map found in the software, it looks like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Instant Jailbreak 93-

Then we have the dyno made with this map from your website:
Honda Civic 10th gen Instant Jailbreak 93-

If we assume now that base map (stock) actually reaches 425NM (target value for stock map) in steady state mid-range this means approximate max engine torque target in you dyno above should be around 425/447*404*1,356=520Nm. Looking in your 93 map, the target for torque at this RPM with 100% throttle is 480Nm. I have a few questions regarding this.

1. There are many unrealistic torque figures in the 93 map, there is no way the engine could deliver this and there will be other factors limiting the power (boost etc). Is it really good to still have those hight numbers there?

2. What is your explanation to the torque peak at 3000rpm that is around 40Nm above target at that RPM? (see question below also)

3. You now request 480NM at full throttle from idle to 7000rpm it is first at about 3000rpm that engine can produce torque that high since boost is not avilable before that.Will this not cause a wind-up of the regulators so when you hit boost at 3000rpm it will overshoot and create the peak you are seeing? If you look on the stock map this is accounted for so target values are lower to avoid peaks when they hit boost.

I do not know exactly how these regulators/controllers work, but probably you guys have access to the code and can check if you get wind-up when this occurs. In my opinion it would be safer to have realistic torque values in the maps, this will help the control system to perfrom as good as possible instead of just maxing out all the time.Now you are asking the engine to produce 470hp at 7000rpm, which is of course not possible with our stock fuel system and turbo.

Any comments are much apprieciated!

FriedRicer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You would have to get Honda to update the brand new ECU with your VIN so it could be jailbroken. You'd also have to get them to match the vehicle immobilizer to the new ECU, which means the original ECU would no longer work as the vehicle can only be matched to one ECU at a time.
Ok that makes sense. At this point I think I should just buy the flashpro kit/software and Jailbreak kit and use on my installed factory ECU. Would that be all that I would need to do to jailbreak/tune my ECU?

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok that makes sense. At this point I think I should just buy the flashpro kit/software and Jailbreak kit and use on my installed factory ECU. Would that be all that I would need to do to jailbreak/tune my ECU?
Yes. Sorry about the new ECU.

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If we assume now that base map (stock) actually reaches 425NM (target value for stock map) in steady state mid-range this means approximate max engine torque target in you dyno above should be around 425/447*404*1,356=520Nm. Looking in your 93 map, the target for torque at this RPM with 100% throttle is 480Nm. I have a few questions regarding this.

1. There are many unrealistic torque figures in the 93 map, there is no way the engine could deliver this and there will be other factors limiting the power (boost etc). Is it really good to still have those hight numbers there?

2. What is your explanation to the torque peak at 3000rpm that is around 40Nm above target at that RPM? (see question below also)

3. You now request 480NM at full throttle from idle to 7000rpm it is first at about 3000rpm that engine can produce torque that high since boost is not avilable before that.Will this not cause a wind-up of the regulators so when you hit boost at 3000rpm it will overshoot and create the peak you are seeing? If you look on the stock map this is accounted for so target values are lower to avoid peaks when they hit boost.

I do not know exactly how these regulators/controllers work, but probably you guys have access to the code and can check if you get wind-up when this occurs. In my opinion it would be safer to have realistic torque values in the maps, this will help the control system to perfrom as good as possible instead of just maxing out all the time.Now you are asking the engine to produce 470hp at 7000rpm, which is of course not possible with our stock fuel system and turbo.

Any comments are much apprieciated!
1. The ECU takes the lowest figure from the throttle based target torque, overall torque limit, air charge limit, pressure ratio limits and some other inputs. But I think you are aware of that. Two things. If the throttle based target torque is too high then the ECU might throw an error code P0299 when means the turbo can't make as much boost as is commanded. We disable this in most calibrations as it is easier to just keep the torque torque values high then re-tune to find the torque spool up value for each gear. Second thing is that the ECU gets upset if the comfort mode targets are radically different than stock so generally I leave them alone. Bumping the top couple of columns seems ok.

2. Some of that is the dyno clamping back a little after spool up, but I think the calibration used for the dyno had 500 NM as a target. Also remember that the target torque value is something the ECU is calculating, not measuring, so I would not expect it to be exactly the same as the dyno.

3. Some of the answer is in #1 (P0299) but I think what you're asking is about the PID control getting windup from not meeting the set point. If the ECU uses PID applied on top of forward feed tables and other algorithms then you don't get windup. The torque curve is the shape it is from the intersection of two curves - the turbo spool up and the underlying engine VE / friction etc. Pretty much all turbocharged engines have the same shape torque curve but normally, stock at least, the top of the torque curve is flattened by output limiting so it does not look as peaky.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
@Hondata hybrid racing sells the flash pro for $940 which includes the jailbreaking cost. Would I be able to do the instant jailbreak if I buy from them instead of sending my ecu in to you like it states on their site?

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really glad to see this feature rollout. We are now able to stock Flashpro's for the FK8.

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Please do not fully quote this post as it will be updated.

Most people know that from the factory FK2/FK8 ECUs cannot be programmed over OBDII and must be unlocked ('jailbroken'). Previously this involved sending you ECU to Hondata or visiting one of our traveling jailbreak meetings around the country.

Now you can do your own jailbreak in a matter of minutes.

You will need a FlashPro and the FlashProManager software V3.4.9 (or higher) installed on a laptop.

1. Make sure your FlashPro is registered

2. Plug the FlashPro into your vehicle, switch on the ignition. Open the 'FlashPro' window and select the 'Jailbreak' tab. Check the vehicle VIN is shown.

3. Copy the VIN (to the computer clipboard).

4. Purchase this product 'Instant Jailbreak' using your vehicle VIN.

5. Enter the order number from your online purchase.

6. Click 'Instant Jailbreak'. The process takes 30 seconds.

Notes:
  • The software was released today.
  • You need a FK2/FK8 FlashPro.
  • This works for all FK2/FK8 vehicles.
  • It does not matter if the FlashPro is locked to the ECU or not.
  • This is available 24/7. As soon as you purchase the jailbreak from the store you can jailbreak the ECU.
  • You need an internet connection during the jailbreak.
  • The jailbreak process takes 30 seconds.
  • ECU clone jailbreaks will still be available from our website.
For the first couple of days we are going to limit the number of jailbreaks available for sale per day.
@Hondata yesterday i purchased your FlashPro and Instant jailbreak, also installed PRL decatted downpipe. Uploaded you the attached tune, while driving home CEL P0140 and p0136 came on, i disabled the 2nd O2 sensor and did not reinstalled it on the downpipe. Since its been disabled. Should i have reinstalled it even though its disabled? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Honda Civic 10th gen Instant Jailbreak 6F49F567-A213-406B-9844-60DB922B8E55

OP
OP
Hondata

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I answered on our forum - if the so2 is not even plugged in then you'll need to disable those error codes.