Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'll preface this with I picked a bunch of alpine speakers to upgrade my Si stereo.

Unfortunately Alpine doesn't make a 3.5" speaker to install for the center, so on the recommendation of many here I bought the JL C2-350X.

The JL was far louder and much more abrasive than the alpine tweeters, so I knew it had to go. I had bought Alpine 4" coax speakers for the rear and since I decided to upsize the rear to 5.25" I figured I'd try one for the center.

Luckily, with just plugging the Alpine 4" into the center, it was much quieter and more pleasant, blending into the front soundstage and matching the sound of the tweeters.

I studied the center channel mount and decided I'd give it a try.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200718_162258

First I cut down the stock ring that mates to the OEM center. Then I cut off the corner screw mount.

I had to make sure to cut a clear path for the Tom Kap 4" ring to seat correctly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200718_162312

I used a hacksaw to cut down the Tom Kap 4" ABS ring and test fit it. It definitely looked doable, so I moved forward. Minor tweaks to the plastic OEM cover to make sure it seated flat

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200718_162328

Test fitting the speaker.

I knew It was going to work, so I filed down the ring until it was an appropriate thickness. About 22mm for the screw side that I left attached and 20mm for the corner mount I cut off to remount.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200719_135905

I had to file out the speaker side of the ring a fair amount to open it up enough to not press against the surround of the speaker.

A generous amount of JB plastic bonder and I got the ring seated well and the corner screw mount in place.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200719_142850

I soldered the Metra harness to the speaker.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200719_155820

Mounting the speaker up to the new ring and screw hole spacing. A perfect fit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200719_160528__01

Installed back in the dash. A small gap where it won't seat for whatever reason. Either the heat will eventually seat it, I'll forget about it since it's barely noticeable, or I'll try to reinforce the cover to make sure it won't bend.

Sounds awesome, perfectly blends in with the front Alpines, the S-S65C I installed for the front door and tweeters.

I am in the middle of making rear deck adapters for the Alpine S-S50 5.25" speakers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing An Upgraded 4" Coax Into The Center Channel IMG_20200719_173447

Last edited:

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
i cant wait to see the 5.25s go in the back, it is a pain in the butt to get in there.....

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
i cant wait to see the 5.25s go in the back, it is a pain in the butt to get in there.....
It's not looking easy. I've had to modify the speakers themselves slightly and I'll be applying liquid wire tape to the rear deck cutout to ensure it doesn't contact and short. I'll put up another thread once it's all done.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Great write up! I'm not impressed with the speakers in the SI, especially the sub which rattles the deck at default settings ?‍♂ wtf Honda?

Are you just running the alpine speakers off the stock amp? And can you link the PVC ring you used?

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Great write up! I'm not impressed with the speakers in the SI, especially the sub which rattles the deck at default settings ?‍♂ wtf Honda?

Are you just running the alpine speakers off the stock amp? And can you link the PVC ring you used?
Yeah, I'm running everything off the stock amp so far. I'm not ready or willing to add the weight and inconvenience of discrete amps for all 10 channels to use the bypass interface.

Apparently it's ABS, not PVC. My bad.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-Tom-Kap-4-in-ABS-DWV-Slip-Cleanout-Adapter-97484/100208091

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If you're wanting to sell it I'd be willing to buy it off you and cover shipping costs.
I appreciate the offer but I'm keeping it around to tinker with audio, amps, etc.

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
No, I have the aformentioned JL C2-350x in the center. I like it better than stock. Added a foam baffle around it during install, too.
I don't know how you can like it. It stands out as very sharp and piercing against the Alpine tweeters, and the foam baffle worsens its sound.

I tried it both with and without the foam baffle, and I couldn't deal with it.
Sponsored