Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
i have installed my gntx 453 mirror it has auto dimming, homelink and compass with the exact pigtail harness in the pic.

since the stock harness only had 3 wires - switched power - ground - and reverse power.

i didnt want the homelink on constant power so i connected the batt and ign wire together to the red wire on the honda harness, the ground to ground and the blue reverse wire to the white reverse + wire on the harness.

my question is how to program the homelink? I have press both outer homelink buttons for 20 secs until i see the rapid blink to clear the settings.

when i hold the homelink button down and the button on the chamberlain remote i never see the mirror homelink light flash, am i doing something wrong?

Just to clarify, would this exact connection for the two harnesses still work?
Sponsored

Iilac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lilac,
Do you have a picture of your Gentex mirror connector ( wire side )?

Sorry for the delay response. Here is a picture of the pigtail I got with my Gentex.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_20190223_220108

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_20190223_221212

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry for the delay response. Here is a picture of the pigtail I got with my Gentex.

IMG_20190223_220108.jpg

IMG_20190223_221212.jpg
Hi lilac,
In your harness the Black wire will be ground. The Black wire with the Red stripe will be +12 volts constant (BATTERY), and the Yellow wire is +12 volts switched (IGNITION).

Some people opt to connect both 12 volt wires to the IGNITION source. This gives the extra security of needing the key to operate the Homelink. That would be your option.

The Brown & Blue wires are unusual, but they were a feed to a dimming side view mirror and do not need to be connected. You should insulate them ( tape them off ) somewhere in your harness.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Deepak J

First Name
Deepak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatch, 2014 Audi A7 Sportback Premium
Country flag
The Brown & Blue wires are unusual, but they were a feed to a dimming side view mirror and do not need to be connected. You should insulate them ( tape them off ) somewhere in your harness.

Hope this helps.
One of the 2 wires is reverse brown or blue, what happens is that in reverse it turns off the auto dimming

Iilac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi lilac,
In your harness the Black wire will be ground. The Black wire with the Red stripe will be +12 volts constant (BATTERY), and the Yellow wire is +12 volts switched (IGNITION).

Some people opt to connect both 12 volt wires to the IGNITION source. This gives the extra security of needing the key to operate the Homelink. That would be your option.

Hope this helps.
One of the 2 wires is reverse brown or blue, what happens is that in reverse it turns off the auto dimming
Thank you guys! So in my case, to clarify

I connect the black wire to #6,
I connect the yellow wire to #7
I would like the homelink to be usable without the need for a key, where can I connect the black/red stripe wire to?

Also I can connect the brown or blue wire to #5 to see which one works to turn off reverse auto dimming?

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic 111

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thank you guys! So in my case, to clarify

I connect the black wire to #6,
I connect the yellow wire to #7
I would like the homelink to be usable without the need for a key, where can I connect the black/red stripe wire to?

Also I can connect the brown or blue wire to #5 to see which one works to turn off reverse auto dimming?

111.jpg

The reverse override wire would be pin 7 ( right next to the yellow wire in your Gentex harness, lilac ).
I don't see a wire in that position in the picture of your harness.

As for the unswitched power for the Homelink, I found a constant 12 volts in the overhead map lights and spliced into that circuit.
I have a 2016 Touring model, and that wire was a red wire in the connector plugged into the map lights.

Iilac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks!

Also on the stock harness, is

the Teal wire # 5?
the black wire # 6?
the white wire # 7?

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic 111

Deepak J

First Name
Deepak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatch, 2014 Audi A7 Sportback Premium
Country flag
Thanks!

Also on the stock harness, is

the Teal wire # 5?
the black wire # 6?
the white wire # 7?

111.jpg
Look into the pins on the connector the white would be in the 5th spot as the first four are empty, black in 6th and teal in 7th pin

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Hate to be the one to revive this thread but I am in need of some serious help ASAP. I purchased a Gentex 453 autodim without compass/temp. I connected the 4 wires to the Honda wire harness. (I’ll post a picture with how I connected). I plugged everything in and the mirror has no power and no autodim. Only thing that lights up are the Homelink buttons. To make matters even worse now my car won’t start. Won’t even turn over. I’ve disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while and tried again to only fail again. I checked the codes and it’s giving me a “P0102 Mass or Air Flow Sensor A Circuit Low” and “P0560 system voltage”.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic 1AFDC053-B752-4EA5-AA85-40984250BDF0

Last edited:

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
Have you tried switching red and orange wires?