Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Nothing is worse than clipping an obnoxious garage-door remote control on the sun visor and in the case of the well equipped Honda Civic with remote start, it's inexplicable why HomeLink was omitted.

Thankfully, Gentex mirrors with HomeLink remote controls are readily available for super cheap. I used to think they were in the $250+ price range but turns out, they're about $45 with wiring harness included. Besides being able to open the garage via the mirror's HomeLink feature, the Gentex's auto-dimming feature is worth its weight in gold. How many times has anything taller than you, which is everything, stopped right behind you with its headlights searing into your skull?

Nowadays, there's no excuse to having one and after discovering my Civic EX-T's lack of this basic necessity despite remote start, I decided to remedy this problem. As I said, the Gentex can be had cheap on eBay and turns out, they're the preferred choice for many OEMs.

In fact, the mirror I ordered is exactly the same as the one in my Mazda6 I'm sure I was charged a premium for. There are several models of Gentex mirrors and if you want one with the goofy compass, it'll cost more and you'll have to drive around in circles trying to calibrate it. Much easier to use your own sense of direction or handy Google maps on the screen. So, if you're on the fence in terms of cost, let me reiterate that this is genuinely a cheap mod that yields dividends.

Here is the basic $45 kit as ordered: mirror and wiring harness.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3465%20eml_zpstuq8qvtw

Civic's craptastik rear view mirror. Using a Torx screwdriver to loosen it and simply slide it up and off.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3466%20eml_zpsdav3pqoz

The mirror mount is a generic "V" shape that conforms to most manufacturer's tapered windshield slugs. The Civic uses a Torx tightening screw and the actual mount is a typical V-shaped windshield slug, hence the aftermarket Gentex will fit just fine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3473%20eml_zpsbtv8ah3c

Typical windshield slug.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3467%20eml_zps7qity69r

Also included is the wiring cover with little tabs that snug into the headliner. If the length is too much, just cut it down with a hack saw.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3474%20eml_zpsjj8c7pbt

Here is a Civic A pillar. Notice the side-curtain airbag assembly (Whew! It's not Takata!):For the Civic and ND Miata, there is a side-curtain airbag present which is no obstacle as long as you run your wiring behind the airbag assembly. I can't stress this enough. Make sure to run your wires behind the airbag. It's both prudent and necessary.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3503%20eml_zps3jli3u1

Now run the wiring behind it. It's just common sense really. If the wires are in front, the airbag can't protect you. If they're behind, they won't interfere during an accident. Use extra zip ties to run the mirror wiring past the airbag harness, not at its mounting point.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic upload_2016-4-22_20-10-24

Where applicable, always apply foam padding or other device to prevent wires from rattling. In this case, I just cut pieces of foam from a yoga mat and stuffed into any crevice I suspect wire rattling could happen.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3506%20eml_zps83rm9h6h

Of course, the mirror needs to be powered in two ways and that requires running power and ground to it. Since the mirror requires a 10-pin harness (included in the kit when purchased that way), one source of power is the dome light but since the harness calls for both a +12v switched (and for some reason) a +12 constant source, a wired connection will be required from the fuse box.

This is not a terribly difficult thing but will require accessing the A-pillar and running a wire through to the fuse box. Personally, I think the switched source could be eliminated so long as the mirror is getting constant power from the dome light but I figure the Gentex engineers have their reasons so I follow them. If you don't want to use a T-tap on the dome light wiring, just follow along and run the wiring through the A-pillar and down to the fuse box for both switched and constant power.

If you run the wiring harness down to the fuse box, make sure to have a couple of Add-A-Fuse type devices. In my case, I ran two: one for switched and one for constant power. Well that's it! Any questions, just post.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic IMG_3613%20eml_zps2t8tubm3

Review: I've been driving around with my new Gentex setup for a couple weeks now and the garage door opener is indispensable! I love opening my garage door while I'm a block away. The auto dimming is super nice since I've had several opportunities to use it. The side view mirrors remain are a little bright but the Gentex rear view works as advertised. Very comfortable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pearl

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Admin, please delete thread. Thanks!

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
Where did you get that mirror so cheap?

vincelatz

Vince L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T w/Sensing Metallic Steel/Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure where he found the mirror for $45, but it's available on eBay for about $60.

I have the sensing package and my mirror mounts differently. People don't realize Gentex makes the same homelink system to build into visors of all colors. Those are on eBay for about $30 and look like below. You could theoretically mount this into anyplace you wanted to such as either visor of even the headliner. (that would require some cutting which most likely won't want to do - the visor would at least be easily replaceable if you ever wanted to take it out again!)

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic s-l500

aaronw630

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Quick question. I have a Touring with Honda Sensing and I really miss my HomeLink more than I thought I would. I found the mirror on eBay for $65 with auto dimming and HomeLink. Does anyone know if that mirror would fit with the sensing package on the windshield or would I have to go with the one that mounts in a visor?

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
The mirror for the sensing package uses an extended mounting base in order to clear that housing on the windshield.

I added a Gntx-453 Homelink mirror to my touring model, but it was definitely a bit of a pain.
First, I tried to fit a standard length mirror, but the stem ( gimbal?? ) hit the housing and limited adjustability. My second attempt was to mount the mirror with a 50-BRKTEXT extension I had bought on eBay. Unfortunately, that extension was too tall, so the housing wouldn't snap down over it.

My ultimate answer was to disassemble both mirrors, ( the factory & the new gentex ), and swap the stems and mounting bases. If you search the internet, you can find out how to open the mirror cases. It can be done, but.. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK..!! It's not the easiest procedure, and there's the possibility of damaging both mirrors..!!!

So.. it's possible, and it's working perfectly for me, but it's definitely not the easiest upgrade.

Last edited:

chedda7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T + Sensing
The mirror for the sensing package uses an extended mounting base in order to clear that housing on the windshield.

I added a Gntx-453 Homelink mirror to my touring model, but it was definitely a bit of a pain.
First, I tried to fit a standard length mirror, but the stem ( gimbal?? ) hit the housing and limited adjustability. My second attempt was to mount the mirror with a 50-BRKTEXT extension I had bought on eBay. Unfortunately, that extension was too tall, so the housing wouldn't snap down over it.

My ultimate answer was to disassemble both mirrors, ( the factory & the new gentex ), and swap the stems and mounting bases. If you search the internet, you can find out how to open the mirror cases. It can be done, but.. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK..!! It's not the easiest procedure, and there's the possibility of damaging both mirrors..!!!

So.. it's possible, and it's working perfectly for me, but it's definitely not the easiest upgrade.
Thanks for the info on installing a GNTX-453 with sensing. I took the time last night to go ahead and do what you mentioned and take apart each mirror so I can get the "stem" off the OEM mirror.

He did warn you and so will I, this is a hack job so it is involved.

NOTE: Wear eye protection! If the mirror breaks (like mine did) shards go flying!!

Tools I used:
Philips + Flat s
crew driver - Used to pry and put in new screws
2x plastic(or metal) wedge/shims - Needed for taking apart mirrors
Hex driver (forgot the size) - Needed for taking out two screws
Side cutter - Great at removing some plastic
Hacksaw - Also great at removing plastic
Drill - Needed for making holes for the new screws

Opening the GNTX-453 was a pain and I could not find a guide. I was able to use shims to get in on the top side (recommend starting there so if it gets chewed up you won't see it when installed). After you get a a couple plastic tabs popped they all start to come undone with a little work. The two shims pictured were the only tools needed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic TB4SwEw
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic tOnbpnI

I didn't take pictures of the OEM mirror but basically you have have to shim out the mirror from the plastic housing. I used a flat head screw driver as well as my shims to get a good start but after a little to much pressure the mirror snapped in half. I didn't really care and honestly it helped speed things up. Here is the part you are after:
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic QPKANvq

As you can see it is very chunky on one end I trimmed it up:
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic S1vCtBG

This will make it so it fits in the area where the original stem went on the GNTX-453. Also, I drilled two holes for the screws to go in and I trimmed the bottom corners to make it fit better:
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic bkWQkNz

I also drilled another hole in the metal backplate after I knew where it lined up. This helped the screws thread into it and get a tight grip.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic D6LxCq

And all screwed in:
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink into a '16 Civic Y2dMidT

On the drive in to work this morning everything looked good, now I just need to wire it up!

tk_chatt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring
Country flag
Nice job chedda7...

I wasn't aware that the mounting system for the manual day/night mirror was different from the factory auto-dimming version.

Those of you with the factory auto-dimming mirror will be pleasantly surprised if you try this mod, as the stem is attached to that mirror body by a single torx bolt (inside the mirror case), and bolts to the gentex with no other mounting mods.

Update .... You will need to provide a constant 12 volt source to power the Homelink. My touring model came with the auto-dimming mirror installed, so I used those three wires ( ACC, REVERSE & GROUND ) then tapped into the dome light for the constant 12 volts. I connected all 4 wires with a 4-pin / .062 Molex connector and hid it inside the sensor housing.

I has been a couple of months now, and everything works & looks like it was installed at the factory.!!!
:)

Last edited:

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Nothing is worse than clipping an obnoxious garage-door remote control on the sun visor and in the case of the well equipped Honda Civic with remote start, it's inexplicable why HomeLink was omitted.

Thankfully, Gentex mirrors with HomeLink remote controls are readily available for super cheap. I used to think they were in the $250+ price range but turns out, they're about $45 with wiring harness included. Besides being able to open the garage via the mirror's HomeLink feature, the Gentex's auto-dimming feature is worth its weight in gold. How many times has anything taller than you, which is everything, stopped right behind you with its headlights searing into your skull?

Nowadays, there's no excuse to having one and after discovering my Civic EX-T's lack of this basic necessity despite remote start, I decided to remedy this problem. As I said, the Gentex can be had cheap on eBay and turns out, they're the preferred choice for many OEMs.

In fact, the mirror I ordered is exactly the same as the one in my Mazda6 I'm sure I was charged a premium for. There are several models of Gentex mirrors and if you want one with the goofy compass, it'll cost more and you'll have to drive around in circles trying to calibrate it. Much easier to use your own sense of direction or handy Google maps on the screen. So, if you're on the fence in terms of cost, let me reiterate that this is genuinely a cheap mod that yields dividends.

Here is the basic $45 kit as ordered: mirror and wiring harness.

Civic's craptastik rear view mirror. Using a Torx screwdriver to loosen it and simply slide it up and off.

The mirror mount is a generic "V" shape that conforms to most manufacturer's tapered windshield slugs. The Civic uses a Torx tightening screw and the actual mount is a typical V-shaped windshield slug, hence the aftermarket Gentex will fit just fine.

Typical windshield slug.

Also included is the wiring cover with little tabs that snug into the headliner. If the length is too much, just cut it down with a hack saw.

Here is a Civic A pillar. Notice the side-curtain airbag assembly (Whew! It's not Takata!):For the Civic and ND Miata, there is a side-curtain airbag present which is no obstacle as long as you run your wiring behind the airbag assembly. I can't stress this enough. Make sure to run your wires behind the airbag. It's both prudent and necessary.

Now run the wiring behind it. It's just common sense really. If the wires are in front, the airbag can't protect you. If they're behind, they won't interfere during an accident. Use extra zip ties to run the mirror wiring past the airbag harness, not at its mounting point.
upload_2016-4-22_20-10-24.png

Where applicable, always apply foam padding or other device to prevent wires from rattling. In this case, I just cut pieces of foam from a yoga mat and stuffed into any crevice I suspect wire rattling could happen.

Of course, the mirror needs to be powered in two ways and that requires running power and ground to it. Since the mirror requires a 10-pin harness (included in the kit when purchased that way), one source of power is the dome light but since the harness calls for both a +12v switched (and for some reason) a +12 constant source, a wired connection will be required from the fuse box.

This is not a terribly difficult thing but will require accessing the A-pillar and running a wire through to the fuse box. Personally, I think the switched source could be eliminated so long as the mirror is getting constant power from the dome light but I figure the Gentex engineers have their reasons so I follow them. If you don't want to use a T-tap on the dome light wiring, just follow along and run the wiring through the A-pillar and down to the fuse box for both switched and constant power.

If you run the wiring harness down to the fuse box, make sure to have a couple of Add-A-Fuse type devices. In my case, I ran two: one for switched and one for constant power. Well that's it! Any questions, just post.

Review: I've been driving around with my new Gentex setup for a couple weeks now and the garage door opener is indispensable! I love opening my garage door while I'm a block away. The auto dimming is super nice since I've had several opportunities to use it. The side view mirrors remain are a little bright but the Gentex rear view works as advertised. Very comfortable.

I ordered a Gentex 313 on ebay, mostly excited about the homelink, but miss the auto dim from my accord

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I picked up a Gentex 313 mirror and got it all wired up. This morning was my first time driving it in the dark and I was definitely not satisfied with the auto-dimming. It seemed that the mirror would dim as intended when a truck was behind me and bright lights shining in. If the truck backed off about 20-30' tho, the mirror would completely un-dim itself and it was very bright.

Is there any adjustment to this thing? I've been unable to find any information via Google.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Received my mirror today, mounted it, gonna wire in with those wire taps, just going to figure out what fuse location to use...do I have to use one that has something in it, or can I use one of the blanks? I don't mind using one that has something in it since I have the same fuse taps listed above, just curious...I will wait to put the plastic cover over the wire until I get my dash cam wired, thinking of this one...not sure how it will turn out, but one that looks the same goes for more on amazon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391490870070

I may try to wire this weekend, supposed to be mid 90s, so may wait till it cools down too

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I
I picked up a Gentex 313 mirror and got it all wired up. This morning was my first time driving it in the dark and I was definitely not satisfied with the auto-dimming. It seemed that the mirror would dim as intended when a truck was behind me and bright lights shining in. If the truck backed off about 20-30' tho, the mirror would completely un-dim itself and it was very bright.

Is there any adjustment to this thing? I've been unable to find any information via Google.
I just wanted to post an update on this issue. I had my mirror positioned towards the lower end of the arm articulation. I think this was putting the light sensor too low, so cars behind me weren't shining it very well.

I moved the mirror as high as I possibly could and it's much better now. I think the 3rd brake light hump by the back window was casting a shadow on the mirror.

TomB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Can you post a picture of how it looks like after the install? I'm curious as to how the lose? wires look. I have one of these mirrors in my Outback and love them, but they have a nice plastic cover to conceal the wires.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you post a picture of how it looks like after the install? I'm curious as to how the lose? wires look. I have one of these mirrors in my Outback and love them, but they have a nice plastic cover to conceal the wires.
I'll take one when I get home, drove the other car today. I wrapped my wires in heat shrink and straightened them out to route straight into the headliner. I honestly haven't even noticed the wire since my install.
Sponsored