Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters)

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200730_195614
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200730_195603

Mounting 5-1/4 speakers in the rear coupe deck isn't impossible, or even very difficult. It's mostly just a lot of work to custom-fabricate mounting adapters.

One stipulation I had was I refuse to make permanent modifications to the car's chassis. This meant I would not expand the rear deck holes. Due to very tight clearance of the speaker basket to the deck cutouts, I had to modify the speaker slightly. I bent the wire mounting tab down so it would clear the cutout rim. This area is where I apply liquid electrical tape to later.

At first I thought I could carve out the OEM speaker baskets, but they had holes and were very, very fragile after removing all the material necessary.

I settled on making adapters, and ended up choosing 1/2" PVC sheeting in gray I ordered from Amazon.

I also bought a Lennox 4.5 inch (114mm) hole saw to cut out the speaker mounting holes, as this was the exact size of my Alpine S-S50s and many other 5-1/4 speakers. I wanted to ensure I had a perfect circle and that I would not remove too much material trying to cut it with a jigsaw.

I also had to buy a jigsaw, but the important thing is the blade selection - Bosch T102H clean for PVC jigsaw blades. I could cut as fast and long as I wanted and it did not melt the PVC and it left a nice, clean smooth cut finish.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200719_173447

I marked out the general size and shape and the center and cut out the holes first with the Lennox hole saw.

I then cut them out in a large oval shape. After several cuts and test fits I finally got them to the shape that would fit with the least material removed.

I pre-drilled 3 holes for the speaker and mounted it in the bracket, and dropped it into place. I then marked where the OEM bolt hole is to drill out the 4th speaker mounting hole, which would use the OEM bolt to also mount the bracket.

After getting all 4 speaker holes drilled, I then dropped the bracket back into place and partially installed the mounting bolt. I then marked from the underside where the two square holes the OEM bracket fit into were.

I drilled holes out in the outer corners for the two square holes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200723_192721
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200723_192727

After getting all the holes setup and double checking they were aligned correctly, I lined the bracket with 1/4 x1/16 foam strip to seal the speaker to the bracket and the speaker to the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200725_130309

The last step was to line the edges of the rear deck that were very close to the tinsel leads with liquid electrical tape. 3 coats and it was ready to go.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200730_211122

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200730_211115
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200730_211144

All in all, it didn't give much of an improvement because the signal to the rear sucks. If you're going to install better amps and signal correction, or if you are going to install the Axxess DSP interface that bypasses the touring amp, it would be very worthwhile.

I suppose if you have a model without the upgraded stereo you can probably get a decent signal to the rear by disabling the DSP in the head unit.

On a side note, I de-soldered the coaxial tweeters because I installed Alpine 1" tweeters into the rear deck cover and wanted the 5-1/4 woofer to receive full power on its dedicated channel.

Last edited:

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
It wasn't much of an improvement for me either.
As for fixing that, how could I go about it, short of replacing the stereo? I have the stock stereo in an LX-P Coupe. Is there an easy, cheap improvement option?

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im curious how your mounts will fit underneath the rear deck cover, if it pokes out or if u have to trim the tunnels at all. Im worried about the foam of the speaker rubbing against those and wearing down the speaker early

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
im curious how your mounts will fit underneath the rear deck cover, if it pokes out or if u have to trim the tunnels at all. Im worried about the foam of the speaker rubbing against those and wearing down the speaker early
The OEM speakers are something like 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick. With the 1/2 inch PVC and the speakers flushly mounted in them, there's around a 1/4-3/8 gap between the speaker and the rear deck cover tunnels.

Plenty of space, no chance of contacting the rear deck cover.

If you used 3/4" PVC instead you would probably have the issue you describe.

I took off the rear deck to do this subwoofer so I'll snap a shot of the clearance after I reinstall it this weekend.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be interested to buy those from you if you made more. I'm sure alot more would also be intrested as 4 inch aftermarket speakers are lackluster and almost always combined units

Last edited:
OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'd be int interested to buy those from you if you made more.
Unfortunately the amount of time it took me to make the set I'm using would make it cost-prohibitive to make and sell some here.

Unless you want to buy a $120 set of speaker adapters.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
heh... everything does have a price that's for sure. And I'm sure it could be streamlined in some way too. Yea i don't think that would be worth it for that price. Figured id ask anyway. $50-60 sure

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
heh... everything does have a price that's for sure. And I'm sure it could be streamlined in some way too. Yea i don't think that would be worth it for that price. Figured id ask anyway. $50-60 sure
The real problem is you're paying software engineer time to cut some plastic with a jigsaw ;)

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
haha.. yea.. i gotta say though, your method is by far the prettiest / cleanest looking / most professional solution to this problem. So hats off to you sir.

OP
OP
JT Si

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Installing 5-1/4 Speakers In Coupe Rear Deck (Custom Adapters) IMG_20200801_182648__01

The gap looks small in the photo, but the actual silo is larger than the surround and the speaker is pretty much perfectly centered. Looking at it with eyes instead of snapping the photo, you can tell it's got tons of room inside there.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Unfortunately I have the other head unit :(
Other folks look at that as a huge advantage as it allows many more options for buying an aftermarket unit. I understand the not wanting to replace the thing. But I specifically bought a 2018 LX because I could replace the thing.

But I tried just about everything in my devoid-of-bass Del Sol and RSX to pump up the volume. Short of installing a tuned speaker cabinet (like a bookshelf speaker); It only got better with a better amp/head unit.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i wouldnt mind replacing the radio with a better unit - but loosing that volume knob would be a killer to me
Sponsored