Installed my leather steering wheel today

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
While driving around I noticed my steering wheel was getting worn out at about the 7'o clock area due to the way I hook my thumb around the wheel while cruising. When the sun hit that spot on the wheel it made my car l look like a worn out taxi cab or the clunkers I was so fond of before I bought this car. Upon further investigation I noticed that the silver trim was also down to the grey plastic, damn.

So I went on eBay and picked up a leather wrapped wheel from an almost new donor with paddle shift controls and trim, basically new. I sat on in for months afraid to disconnect the air bag and worrying about getting the wheel back on straight. In the meantime I removed the controls from the leather wheel so I would be ready when I worked up the nerve. Today the sun was shining and I felt brave.

This was the easiest job ever. I did not disconnect the battery, took the two T30 screws out of the airbag bracket, unclipped the electrical connectors and bam, I was steering at the mega hex in the centre of the wheel. With a bit of straining I got it out, took the worn wheel into the shop, swapped out the controls and the harness and boom leather.

Easiest mod ever. Took about an hour and a half redoing it, trying to get the wheel straight, but the geniuses at Honda notched the steering tube at 12 o' clock and marked the steering wheel as well. So freaking easy.

I also put a ceramic finish on the plastic trim to prevent it from wearing down to the plastic. The wheel feels so much nicer than the plastic, feels warmer to the touch sooner than the plastic wheel.

i used my old steering wheel controls just incase, so I have an extra set of paddles, radio and cruise controls as well as the rear plastic trim and that tiny harness, let me know if you are interested.
Sponsored

Last edited: