Installed Dash Cam on Rearview Mirror

Ravenkeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX, 2019 Mercedes Benz GLC300, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado Midnight Edition
Country flag
Mounted it to the mirror arm and routed the USB cable up across the headliner/windshield (RH) and thru the "Lane Keep" camera body and out where the mirror mounts to the assembly.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installed Dash Cam on Rearview Mirror IMG_2778.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed Dash Cam on Rearview Mirror IMG_2777.JPG

The USB cable starts from the DC Outlet, along the center console crevices, under the glove box to the front passenger door jam, and up the A-Pillar, across the top end of the RH A-Pillar to the headliner, along the headliner to the "Lane Keep" Camera, and out the hole where the rear-view mirror mounts. Ran a similar setup in my wife's CR-V, so we can move the camera from one vehicle to the other, until she picks a more permanent camera.
Honda Civic 10th gen Installed Dash Cam on Rearview Mirror IMG_2779.JPG

I'm planning replacing the DC Outlet with a 2-Slot USB outlet.

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if there’s a way to change out those wingnuts for nuts locked by a custom key in order to counter dashcam theft. It’s a thing.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I wonder if there’s a way to change out those wingnuts for nuts locked by a custom key in order to counter dashcam theft. It’s a thing.
Dashcam locks are more to prevent employees from uninstalling it from the vehicle. Any thief is just gonna yank it off.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Try Nylon Lock Nuts (like the kind used on Skateboard hardware).. ?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dashcam locks are more to prevent employees from uninstalling it from the vehicle. Any thief is just gonna yank it off.
Right, it’d have to be something more complex.
Try Nylon Lock Nuts (like the kind used on Skateboard hardware).. ?
Nah, those can be removed with a simple wrench. I was thinking something keyed.

OP
OP
Ravenkeeper

Ravenkeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX, 2019 Mercedes Benz GLC300, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado Midnight Edition
Country flag
Right, it’d have to be something more complex.

Nah, those can be removed with a simple wrench. I was thinking something keyed.
Yeah, wingnuts seem to be easily undone with your fingers, but finding the right size nuts and wrenching them on would be a little more of a deterrent for thieves. HOWEVER, if they are wanting this little cheap P.O.S. dash cam, they're going to just rip it out of my vehicle, even if it means breaking my rear-view mirror. I remove it from our Civic and put it in our CR-V without moving the mount from vehicle to vehicle, as I have two mounts, one in each. The camera just slides on/off the mount, and I have a USB cable already ran in both vehicles, too.

Product Review: The Uniden DC115 iWitness camera SUCKS. It only records when the G-sensor says to, otherwise you have to manually command it to record. More than likely, I will be replacing it with a better Dash Cam, preferably one that constantly records, like my Vantrue N4 (in my truck).

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Yeah, wingnuts seem to be easily undone with your fingers, but finding the right size nuts and wrenching them on would be a little more of a deterrent for thieves. HOWEVER, if they are wanting this little cheap P.O.S. dash cam, they're going to just rip it out of my vehicle, even if it means breaking my rear-view mirror. I remove it from our Civic and put it in our CR-V without moving the mount from vehicle to vehicle, as I have two mounts, one in each. The camera just slides on/off the mount, and I have a USB cable already ran in both vehicles, too.

Product Review: The Uniden DC115 iWitness camera SUCKS. It only records when the G-sensor says to, otherwise you have to manually command it to record. More than likely, I will be replacing it with a better Dash Cam, preferably one that constantly records, like my Vantrue N4 (in my truck).
I went with Cobra SC201, been flawless..

OP
OP
Ravenkeeper

Ravenkeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I went with Cobra SC201, been flawless..
I turned off the G-sensor, and it's been recording the way that I want it to. I still have to re-adjust and resecure the mount tho.
Sponsored