Install CD player or Aux input

norcal415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, in the market for Civic EX-T
I'm surprised there isn't any thread about installing a CD player. It seems to be one thing the car doesn't have. If I get a new Civic I know I would really want one. There is a lot of room in the center console area (under the elbow rest) and it seems like you could fit a CD player in there possibly against either the left or right side without taking up to much of this storage room. Also it would be cool to just be able to plug in a Aux audio cable into any headphone jack and play music that way. I know my friend makes beats and often has them of his laptop so the Aux cable is really convenient for that type of situation. I don't know about plugging in a laptop into the car thru USB would work with the size of today's laptop hard drives and all the different folders and everything but if someone has tried I'd like to know how it went.
So does anyone know how doable it would be to run a CD player from the storage area under the elbow rest or even from the glove box or trunk area, to the head unit (assuming that's where you would hook it up). Also I am interested in how you could choose the CD player from the head unit or if you would need some kind of button somewhere to select the CD player.
Any ideas or thoughts on installing either a CD player or Aux input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading :)
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I think it's almost guaranteed that there are no connections on the back of the head unit for hooking up any more sources. Years ago when trunk-mounted CD changers were an option on cars, the headunits often did have an input for those that could sometimes be adapted for something like this, but those are a thing of the past. Honda just wouldn't waste the money to include a hookup like that, and write the software code to make the headunit handle switching to it, when only a tiny fraction of buyers would use it.

If you want to keep the stock headunit, your only hope will be an add-on processor or amplifier that has an auxiliary input on it. That is, you'd have to add a piece of equipment in between the Honda headunit and the speakers. It would have two inputs - one coming from the headunit's outputs, and one coming from an aux cable. Then there'd be a remote or something to switch between one input and the other. It's not a perfect solution. For instance, when you're on the aux input, you won't hear bluetooth or navigation interruptions coming from the headunit.

Adding in an AudioControl LC8i would give you an aux input, for instance. You'd also have to add amps, though, since it would essentially nullify the headunit's internal amp.