Inside Trunk Release Intermittent

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Sometimes the inside trunk release works & sometimes not.

I pickup my wife from shopping & press the release & nothing happens. Engine was running & car in park. I press a few more times & then the trunk opens. I don’t use the inside release a lot but when I do it’s always random if it’s going to work or not.

Is there some secret series of events that has to occur? Or is the button probably just defective?
Sponsored

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
you gotta hold it. idk exactly when they changed it but my 2017 touring had an instant pop when i hit the button. once i hit it on accident and didnt realize the trunk was open until the warning came up. on the other hand, my 2020 si i gotta hold it for a solid second. i like it that way.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
you gotta hold it. idk exactly when they changed it but my 2017 touring had an instant pop when i hit the button. once i hit it on accident and didnt realize the trunk was open until the warning came up. on the other hand, my 2020 si i gotta hold it for a solid second. i like it that way.
Thanks - that works.
Just thinking about things, I pressed the unlock button on the driver’s armrest to let my wife in. Shouldn’t that have also unlocked the trunk for her?

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i think ...? idk i never think about it too much. if i'm letting someone in the car my habit from my old glitchy '03 silverado kicks in: spam unlock until they open the door.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
So I have a 2017 and they had to replace the multiplex control for the windows/locks etc. The right rear window was not always going up/down when the button was pressed. Anyhow I get the car back and I'm like damn the trunk button isn't working. I take it to the dealer and wasn't watching and the guy pops the trunk using the button, I'm like WTF? HE says you have to hold it and I said no it never worked that way before, turns out the multiplex is the latest one and low and behold you have to hold it now, it's too annoying now so I just use the button on the trunk itself.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Thanks - that works.
Just thinking about things, I pressed the unlock button on the driver’s armrest to let my wife in. Shouldn’t that have also unlocked the trunk for her?
No. Because it's a soft switch, the design is intended to prevent someone from opening the trunk from outside. The delayed opening is to prevent accidental opening of the trunk from the inside.
Sponsored