• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Insane market value adjustments everywhere

andyg

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why is it they do this in the US? I've lived in the UK and currently live in Canada and never seen dealerships add markups like that.
Are dealers in those countries owned/operated by the manufacturer? Here in the US dealers are considered franchises and can do just about whatever they want with pricing unfortunately.
Sponsored

Jimi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2019
Are dealers in those countries owned/operated by the manufacturer? Here in the US dealers are considered franchises and can do just about whatever they want with pricing unfortunately.
Canadian laws prevent dealerships selling above MSRP in Canada for a vehicle sold as new.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
They're franchises here in Canada too.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Why is it they do this in the US? I've lived in the UK and currently live in Canada and never seen dealerships add markups like that.
Great question, it's a horribly unregulated industry here in the U.S. some states much worse than others. U.S. car lots are also some of the most depressing/soulless places on earth. Almost every one is the exact same. I bought my Si private party, I vow to NEVER step on a dealer lot ever again.

djlythium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Great question, it's a horribly unregulated industry here in the U.S. some states much worse than others. U.S. car lots are also some of the most depressing/soulless places on earth. Almost every one is the exact same. I bought my Si private party, I vow to NEVER step on a dealer lot ever again.
Honestly, I deal with dealers knowing Iā€™m going to get into a psychological fight with them, and Iā€™m like ā€˜try me!ā€™ ?. I act all innocent, like Iā€™ve never purchased a brand new car before, then casually deny them the pleasure of all the shady, slimy, insidious tricks they try. Itā€™s kinda funny to watch them get all flustered. ? Then, we haggle about price, get to a ā€˜goodā€™ compromise, and I say I need a day to think about it, and leave. If I cannot get them to budge, then āœŒ?.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Honestly, I deal with dealers knowing Iā€™m going to get into a psychological fight with them, and Iā€™m like ā€˜try me!ā€™ ?. I act all innocent, like Iā€™ve never purchased a brand new car before, then casually deny them the pleasure of all the shady, slimy, insidious tricks they try. Itā€™s kinda funny to watch them get all flustered. ? Then, we haggle about price, get to a ā€˜goodā€™ compromise, and I say I need a day to think about it, and leave. If I cannot get them to budge, then āœŒ?.
Recently, there's not much psychological fighting anymore. For most vehicles the tables have turned on us consumers. Now you pay MSRP or they'll say āœŒ to you, as they can easily find someone else who will.

djlythium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Recently, there's not much psychological fighting anymore. For most vehicles the tables have turned on us consumers. Now you pay MSRP or they'll say āœŒ to you, as they can easily find someone else who will.
Oh, yeah, that was before the current times. Wow, these times.

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Freedom, baby, why else?

joking aside, as long as there are people willing to pay for these markups, why not? When I sold my 2010 Civic a couple of months ago, I honestly didn't think I'd get more than $2,000 for it, because of the high mileage, bad paint, multiple accidents, and on and on. Guess what? People were willing to pay waaay more than that. So why would I turn someone away who is giving me $5,000 on my janky Civic? Same with dealerships charging $4,000 over MSRP. AS long as people are willing to pay for it, dealerships will be selling them at markup.

I'm not saying this is right, it's just the reality of it.

squish72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ss camaro and soon 22 hatchback civic
11th Gen Honda Civic Insane market value adjustments everywhere a.JPG

This is why I put money down to get the first one in that area

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si

mills_\nm/

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HRV
Hey guys, looking to buy a new civic. Every dealer on Oahu is currently adding $3-5,000 dollars on to the purchase price for ā€œmarket value adjustmentā€ Iā€™ve never seen this with regular model civics. I would understand if it was an SI or CTR, but a regular civic? make it make sense. Are you guys having these Insane MVAā€™s at your dealers or is it just the curse of being on an island? Chip shortage?
Did you end up getting the civic? if so, what was the markup as I'm on Oahu and currently looking.

Whitboy82

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST
Thereā€™s major supply chain issues not just chip shortages, but equally important is all the stimulus in many forms. During Covid nobody was driving but everyone was flush with government cash and buying cars. The Fed has also inflated the stock market to insane levels so many are feeling frisky and vehicles are probably the top discretionary purchase in the US.
I get what youā€™re trying to say, but this is over exaggerated. I received stimulus checks, like everyone else, and I wasnā€™t ā€œflush with cash buying carsā€. There are 350 million people in the US, itā€™s hard to make a generalized statement like that, when what you are really referring to is maybe 1-5% of the population.
Sponsored