First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I own a 2018 SI and have been doing some serious thinking about upgrading to a CTR. I drove a CTR once and I loved it, felt like an SI on steroids. I just have a few concerns before I pull the trigger.

1. Price, most CTR in my area (Michigan) have been around 35,000 - 38,000 used to new. Would buying a used CTR be a mistake compared to a new one? (if the carfax report is clean). What has everyone been paying recently?

2. Reliability, Haven't seen too many issues with this car besides the gear grinds and rear brakes squealing, any owners have issues? I understand that reliability isn't a major focus with this car but I'd like to know for some things to look out for during ownership.

3. Wheels, I plan on putting on a different set of wheels due to the fact that my city has awful roads and I don't want to crack my rim. Anyone know a good place to get some aftermarket ones?

4. Options? Haven't really looked outside of my brand but any other recommendations for this class?

many thanks in advance everyone
Sponsored

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
I've only driven a CTR once so I can't speak to questions #2 and #3, but on price I'd recommend buying new if you can negotiate and not pay a big unnecessary markup.

In my opinion, the CTR is not a car people buy and drive "softly"... I'd rather pay an extra $3k - $5k and have the peace of mind knowing I did a proper break-in period, didn't stress the brand-new engine etc.

Outside of Honda, the only cars I could recommend you look at are ones that are very similar (power, manual trans, fun to drive)
- Subaru STI
- Nissan 370z
- Hyundai Veloster N
- Volkswagen GTI

Out of all these, I would still way rather have the CTR.

jaco

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI, 99 Miata
Country flag
I drove a coworkers CTR this morning. The power difference is immense and and the rev match was awesome.

I'd buy new since values are holding so well. I'd grab some rims off someone parting out their CTR or get a 18" set off Tire rack with some all seasons for all year utility.

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've never driven one, but I'm sure the difference is night and day.

What this boils down to is your financial situation and what you're willing to pay etc., and do you owe on your Si? If money isn't an issue then I'd say go for it. Personally I wouldn't buy a Type-R coming from an Si I would just mod the fuck out of it.

But if my pockets were that deep I'd have both.:D

OP
OP

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I've never driven one, but I'm sure the difference is night and day.

What this boils down to is your financial situation and what you're willing to pay etc., and do you owe on your Si? If money isn't an issue then I'd say go for it. Personally I wouldn't buy a Type-R coming from an Si I would just mod the fuck out of it.

But if my pockets were that deep I'd have both.:D
I owe a decent amount, a couple friends wanna buy my SI off me (SI models aren't common around me). I have gotten an appraisal on my SI when I was looking at a couple CTR and they all offered me up to around a 1,000 difference and one offered to buy me out completely. I wish I could mod mine but I drive its my daily as of right now.

OP
OP

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
In my honest opinion...... Pay off your civic si as fast as possible, use the Si for a down payment on the CTR make sure your credit is up to date & i have a feeling youll walk away very happy.
Probably the safest advice, wish I was patient :doh:

Hoang_Honda

First Name
Hoang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Accord V6 Touring. 17 Civic Si Coupe.
Country flag
1: Price is hug different here in California my Si OTD price is 23k, and my brother's CTR OTD price is 44k

2: Probably as reliable as other Hondas

3: My bother first mod on his CTR is Enkei's 18 inch wheels. why 18"? Because Hes going to daily his car. There are many websites to order wheels just google it. I ordered mine from Kenji Garage

4: is there any cars in its class have better MPG? 4 doors 4 real seats? Hatchback? Reliable? See its why Type R still have mark up after 2 years+

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I was in your same shoes a few months ago and had a $200 deposit on a CTR for sticker. Do not pay more than sticker whatever you do, you will be getting ripped off, there’s plenty of dealerships selling them at sticker. My CTR came in about a month after I gave them a deposit and I told them I’m not gonna buy it. They gave me back my $200. The reason why I decided not to buy it was I can’t see myself paying $40K for a 14 second 1/4 mile Civic that I don’t think looks that great. I say get a 485 HP Mustang for $33K.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've only driven a CTR once so I can't speak to questions #2 and #3, but on price I'd recommend buying new if you can negotiate and not pay a big unnecessary markup.

In my opinion, the CTR is not a car people buy and drive "softly"... I'd rather pay an extra $3k - $5k and have the peace of mind knowing I did a proper break-in period, didn't stress the brand-new engine etc.

Outside of Honda, the only cars I could recommend you look at are ones that are very similar (power, manual trans, fun to drive)
- Subaru STI
- Nissan 370z
- Hyundai Veloster N
- Volkswagen GTI

Out of all these, I would still way rather have the CTR.
Nice recommendations. I still miss my 2001 Integra gsr. Bought it brand new and put 233k miles on it before I slid on ice and wrecked it.

Still my favorite car I ever owned.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I was in your same shoes a few months ago and had a $200 deposit on a CTR for sticker. Do not pay more than sticker whatever you do, you will be getting ripped off, there’s plenty of dealerships selling them at sticker. My CTR came in about a month after I gave them a deposit and I told them I’m not gonna buy it. They gave me back my $200. The reason why I decided not to buy it was I can’t see myself paying $40K for a 14 second 1/4 mile Civic that I don’t think looks that great. I say get a 485 HP Mustang for $33K.
What mustang has 485hp for only 33k? I wonder what kind of times it does in the 1/4.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
1: Price is hug different here in California my Si OTD price is 23k, and my brother's CTR OTD price is 44k

2: Probably as reliable as other Hondas

3: My bother first mod on his CTR is Enkei's 18 inch wheels. why 18"? Because Hes going to daily his car. There are many websites to order wheels just google it. I ordered mine from Kenji Garage

4: is there any cars in its class have better MPG? 4 doors 4 real seats? Hatchback? Reliable? See its why Type R still have mark up after 2 years+
44k for the ctr?? Your brother must make good money because thats a lot to pay for that car.
Sponsored