BigCivic87

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Im looking into getting the Injen cold air intake and i wanted to get some feedback, like or dislike?, did it add Horsepower? How long have you had it on and were there any complications?
Sponsored

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I've read that Injen is to be avoided with our platform. There have been a lot of complaints about their quality lately. At least one of their intakes has some goofy mess going on with the MAF housing that will throw off your fuel trims, which can lead to engine damage, and just isn't worth it. I'm not sure if there even is an easily available tune for it to keep the fuel trims correct with Injen.

Some relevant links:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/ktuner-with-injen-intake-question.22495/#post-380537
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/injen-or-prl-cai.43125/#post-709568

If you want a high-quality true cold air intake, get the PRL Cobra. The "Street MAF" retains the factory MAF housing dimensions and does not require a tune. Plug and play. The "Race MAF" has a 50% larger MAF housing and does require a tune, with the TSP Stage 1 Race MAF tune being the most commonly recommended. I have a PRL Cobra with the Race MAF housing and the appropriate TSP Stage 1 tune, and have been monitoring my fuel trims, AFR, knock control, etc and everything has been spot on.

I believe that there are some variables you can set in KTuner and Hondata to correct MAF readings without buying a new tune, at least for the PRL Cobra. I am not sure if these variables are available for Injen.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Generally it's best to avoid Injen or any other company that mass produces intakes for every platform under the sun. They basically put no actual engineering into what they do. Just throw a MAF housing onto a piece of tube and call it a day. In addition to the PRL, the 27won is excellent as well. My fuel trims have been spot on.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
Generally it's best to avoid Injen or any other company that mass produces intakes for every platform under the sun. They basically put no actual engineering into what they do. Just throw a MAF housing onto a piece of tube and call it a day. In addition to the PRL, the 27won is excellent as well. My fuel trims have been spot on.

Just a question About the 27Won:
Why does it have this 2 slots on the upper part, if it called "CAI"?
It has the long section to take air from the lower part, but I think that the 2 slots allow to take air even from the higher part as the OEM airbox.
What is their purpose?

Honda Civic 10th gen Injen Cold air intake 1588086617427

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Just a question About the 27Won:
Why does it have this 2 slots on the upper part, if it called "CAI"?
It has the long section to take air from the lower part, but I think that the 2 slots allow to take air even from the higher part as the OEM airbox.
What is their purpose?

1588086617427.png
Yes, some air gets pulled in through those 2 slots, but in the event that you submerge the lower intake in water, the slots will prevent water from getting sucked into the intake.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
Yes, some air gets pulled in through those 2 slots, but in the event that you submerge the lower intake in water, the slots will prevent water from getting sucked into the intake.
Thanks a lot for the explanation, do you know how high is the air entry from the ground?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Ha, I was just looking at it the other day to adjust it slightly to get rid of a vibration. I'd say the bottom edge is a few inches above the skid tray. We don't get a lot of standing water where I live, so regardless of intakes this was never really my concern.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
Ha, I was just looking at it the other day to adjust it slightly to get rid of a vibration. I'd say the bottom edge is a few inches above the skid tray. We don't get a lot of standing water where I live, so regardless of intakes this was never really my concern.
Do you mean the amount of the water on the street ?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Correct. Not a lot of super flat areas around where I live for water to stand and get deep.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
I think that you need about 20cm of water level on the street to aspirate it with a classic CAI.

IntoTheApex

First Name
John!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si / 2002 Camaro SS
Country flag
I have the injen, my only mod, I like it and I have no problems with it even when I drive it in the rain.
Itt sounds nice and it might have helped a bit more on the top end, but I noticed the most difference was in part throttle acceleration due to the increased air velocity from removing the factory air box with its baffles and silencers.
I got a great deal on it used. If I had a bigger turbo I'd get a race prl or make my own but it's my daily so it will suffice for now. I didn't even have to remove my bumper to install it, I just took the wheel liner off.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
Does it require a tune to properly work with all the stock car? ?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Does it require a tune to properly work with all the stock car? ?
The 27won uses a stock size MAF housing, so no tune required. (there is an Si version and non-Si version, so make sure you get the appropriate one). My LTFT has been spot on w/ the 27won intake so far.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Yeah, I would say stay away from Injen. One member on clublexus put an Injen intake on his IS250 and is throwing codes for fuel trims being off

coxbenjamin

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2015 Lexus RCF
Country flag
I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just joined civicx today - bought my '18 si coupe new and just getting around to doing any work on it. I had an Injen CAI on my Integra back in the day, so I just ordered the same brand for this daily driver. Big mistake.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as a lot of you on here, so my car has been at the dealer for a week. All of the warning lights on my dash were flashing...turns out the car is returning fuel-too-rich code. So instead of putting the OEM system back on, I decided to have them do a dealer flash with Hondata instead, because, why not? The base mapping didn't solve the problem so they're trying to apply other maps for intakes to see if that works.

I'm guessing Injen isn't going to give my money back so I'm hesitating to swap it out for PRL or 27won. And not really wanting to spend the cash on a custom tune.

Anyone been through this dance before, and what did you do?

Honda Civic 10th gen Injen Cold air intake IMG_0546
Sponsored