Initial impressions from a first-time Si owner

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Well mileage wasn't any factor in my buying decision. My WRX got 24 on a good day. I was surprised by the difference between this and my 15 Si which got around 31 on the same driving route. I assume it will be over 40 later on.
Sponsored

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Strangely the Altima gets better highway mileage than the Sentra. The Nismo Sentra (SI competitor) is rated at 31 highway, 7 less than an SI.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
DP

Last edited:

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The MPG is part gearing and part power delivery.
Isn't this one of the reasons why they made the power band narrow in between 3-6? I had always thought that was for fuel efficiency.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Isn't this one of the reasons why they made the power band narrow in between 3-6? I had always thought that was for fuel efficiency.
It's more a function of the turbo/sizing than anything else.

The Si's turbo has a more efficient inlet/impeller for better flow in the mid range.

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Congratulations on the new Si!

It looks simply STUNNING in red! Glad you're liking it more every day!

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's more a function of the turbo/sizing than anything else.

The Si's turbo has a more efficient inlet/impeller for better flow in the mid range.
Is this also the reason the 2015 SI requires premium fuel as opposed to the 10th gen just recommending premium fuel? Because of the size of the engine and turbo?

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I was curious about why I could run 87 in my new SI too. I assumed the knock sensor is set up to let you do that.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Actually, I'm not too impressed with the MPG of the Si. Sure it makes about 20hp/tq more than my Altima, but weights 200lbs less, and has almost 1/2 the engine size (2.5 vs 1.5) I'm not really great with physics, but I expected it to be rated better. On the Highway, I regularly get in the mid 40's, and I get about 26 around the city. I'm also doing it on 87.

Maybe it's due to the Manual being less MPG focused than my CVT? Not sure. Either way for the Si MPG I feel shouldn't be the driving factor. I'd give up a few MPG for a bit more fun.
Yes manuals at one time were the fuel efficient choice. Now autos are that choice. Can't wait until honda uses the new 10 speed auto in an si type engine. Omg that be perfect

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Probably a few variables ranging from the knock configuration to the Direct Injection setup. We'd have to ask Honda lol.
That's almost exactly what it is. It's why Mustang GT's have run 87/91 that since like 2007 and for a while had 2 power ratings.

Joker33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Wrangler, '03 Civic, '06 Mustang, '15 F150
Yes manuals at one time were the fuel efficient choice. Now autos are that choice. Can't wait until honda uses the new 10 speed auto in an si type engine. Omg that be perfect
Why would you want an automatic in a "sports" car? I absolutely hate automatic and cant ever see myself with another automatic of any sort other than a truck as that's virtually all they make in a truck!

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Is this also the reason the 2015 SI requires premium fuel as opposed to the 10th gen just recommending premium fuel? Because of the size of the engine and turbo?
The 2015 Si recommends, but does not require premium fuel - just like the 2017 Si. The computer will adjust timing to minimize detonation when using lower octane fuel, but with a decrease in performance and only by a limited amount. You're not at risk of damaging the engine or warranty denial unless you use less than 87 octane.

With that said, you'll get better fuel economy and full performance by using the recommended fuel grade. There's little excuse not to use what is recommended. It's also worth noting that unless a vehicle is designed to take advantage of premium fuel, it is a waste of money and can decrease fuel economy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Initial impressions from a first-time Si owner 2017 Civic Fuel Informatio

Honda Civic 10th gen Initial impressions from a first-time Si owner 2015 Civic Fuel Informatio

Last edited: