Infotainment System... Officially a lemon!

Hatchback207

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback ex
Vehicle Showcase

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I do and haven't had any issues either . I have three different ways to change the volume None are a knob thank goodness.
Me too. It's funny how people don't complain about a lack of a volume knob on computers, or even tvs - although I suspect they did when they first were introduced without a physical knob and reliance on the remote (which doesn't have a knob either). Times change and it takes a while to adjust for some people.

DeftSalmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try: http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/

Check the compatibility of your phone with HandsFreeLink. I presume the HandsFreeLink underlies the BT in the infotainment console. Or something like that.

Example: Lumia 950 on AT&T is "Compatible with MOST features"

The head units are designed for iPhone and Android, I'd have to check the manual again, but I don't think it said Windows Phone.

Windows Phones are great devices (Continuum is awesome) but remember WP market share is less than 1% worldwide (http://www.windowscentral.com/just-1-market-share-why-are-oems-choosing-windows-10-mobile) so you have to realize Honda probably won't bother making their system fully compatible if less than 1% of their customers will sport one.

BAM!!!

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Me too. It's funny how people don't complain about a lack of a volume knob on computers, or even tvs - although I suspect they did when they first were introduced without a physical knob and reliance on the remote (which doesn't have a knob either). Times change and it takes a while to adjust for some people.
Computers require much less volume adjustments or they probably would have a knob. Remotes are not physically possible to have a knob.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do the 10th gens use HandsFreeLink? If so, I'll be totally content.

I dunno what the fuss over the volume knob is. Taking away the aux port is a much bigger offense. There's a volume control right on the steering wheel which is much quicker and safer anyway; once I got used to it, I never thought to use the knob again.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
Hatchback and Rayve,
You are entitled to your opinion ... and I am sure you love the touch screen vs the physical knob, but fyi, your tone sounds arrogant. Please take a moment to read this well written comment posted on another thread by Xenu. There is a wee bit of a difference between a remote control in your living room vs. driving and paying attention to the road.
from,
http://www.civicx.com/threads/your-dont-need-a-volume-knob.2599/page-10
I love that we have a heated thread here since March 2016 asking why people complain there is no volume knob.
This car is so awesome that all that's left to nitpick is a) no volume knob and b) volume knob supporters by swipe supporters

To reply to the OP, removing the volume knob in favor of touch does not necessarily make it more modern. IMHO in order for a touch sensitive volume control to be more modern, it must be able to respond with enough speed and precision to surpass the volume knob. I guarantee if you pick a random volume number, and timed acquiring that volume level by both methods, the volume knob would win. At this moment, to implement a touch control with that much precision would be cost prohibitive, so while the idea is modern, the implementation is not modern. Additionally, as a user interface, a volume knob provides tactile feedback allowing precision, whether by a little skill or a stepping click, after all, modern electric guitars don't have a touch slider, nor do all professional audio engineer mixing boards.

I am not saying those who prefer no-knob to be wrong, just that a touch slider does not automatically make an input method more modern, therefore those that lament the loss of the volume knob cannot be invalidated nor dismissed.

Additionally, the knob is a tried-and-true interface. As input devices Dvorak keyboards are technically superior to QWERTY, but technically right doesn't always prevail. An example of swiping to not be a be-all-end-all input method is why most people don't own a large trackpad instead of a mouse for their desktops, or why you would not prefer the rotary dial on your mouse to be touch swipe.

I agree with DavidJBrooks' points, especially when aesthetics, cost, and real estate come into play. Honestly, I'm sure at some point designing the center stack there was an argument about it, and cost and aesthetics won.

In the end, it doesn't make or break the car, after all we all own a CivicX. I applaud the passion on both sides (not the dismissivity), and by the fact that this thread survives certainly proves this is hardly an open and shut case.

Last edited:

Rayven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
Computers require much less volume adjustments or they probably would have a knob. Remotes are not physically possible to have a knob.
Actually I have several remotes with sliders and knobs for volume and channel change - they are 'pro' remotes for vcr / tv combos from the late 1970's.

Maybe something like this would be useful to some people - a bluetooth mounted rotary volume controller.

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/manuals/WW-BT-VC-manual.pdf

It's able to control system volume as well as phone volume / pause. / next track. Designed for boats I guess but should work in car too.

Last edited:

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
As I have posted in another thread having no physical volume knob is such a minute issue with me. however, the f...uped Bluetooth is ridiculous with the cutting out nonsense. how does Honda screw this up and still in cy2017 haven't done a thing about it.

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Try: http://automobiles.honda.com/handsfreelink/

Check the compatibility of your phone with HandsFreeLink. I presume the HandsFreeLink underlies the BT in the infotainment console. Or something like that.

Example: Lumia 950 on AT&T is "Compatible with MOST features"

The head units are designed for iPhone and Android, I'd have to check the manual again, but I don't think it said Windows Phone.

Windows Phones are great devices (Continuum is awesome) but remember WP market share is less than 1% worldwide (http://www.windowscentral.com/just-1-market-share-why-are-oems-choosing-windows-10-mobile) so you have to realize Honda probably won't bother making their system fully compatible if less than 1% of their customers will sport one.

BAM!!!
Not exactly up to date list, unless Honda decided not to support IOS 10 or iPhone 7 & 7 Plus.

Correction, Honda only supports IOS 10 and iPhone 7 & 7 Plus if you have the LX model. I've owned three Hondas since 2000 but this will be my last.

Last edited:

DeftSalmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not exactly up to date list, unless Honda decided not to support IOS 10 or iPhone 7 & 7 Plus.

Correction, Honda only supports IOS 10 and iPhone 7 & 7 Plus if you have the LX model. I've owned three Hondas since 2000 but this will be my last.

Not exactly :) I just did a quick Google search (was at work)

I've had no issues between my 2017 LX Hatch and my Nexus 6p (android auto works flawless for me) but i had big issues with my 2015 Fit EX-L. Same phone but BT was flaky and no Android Auto, what a pain!!!

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I brought it in to get the firmware updated - for the sixth time unsuccessfully- and they managed to see it green/black blink - they have to replace the ENTIRE unit.

Let's hope that unit comes with the latest firmware. It should not be this hard to get a software update.