Infotainment System... Officially a lemon!

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Wellll, he probably bought the car because he assumed the stereo would work. Music is important to many people. In the case of his car ... it sounds like more than a glitch. Why is he mad at Honda? lol Why are you & others defending Honda's infotainment system?
Sooo has he taken it to honda for the information system update that they have? Has he taken it to the dealership for them to fix?
Sponsored

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
Sooo has he taken it to honda for the information system update that they have? Has he taken it to the dealership for them to fix?
LOL, you should be a politician ... redirecting the question. I have no idea if he has, but that doesn't change the fact Honda should take a "wee bit" more pride in their infotainment system. I wonder why they don't have more pride in their infotainment system in the lower end vehicles? It's not like this is a problem with only this generation civic. Audio has never been great for Honda in general. (luckily in my old integra I could just replace it) They seem to care in most of the Acura lineup, although the 2nd gen TSX was a horrible system. They seem intent on marketing to millennials who I presume would like decent audio but maybe I've answered my own question here. Millennials raised on mp3's and computer issues think this is normal so Honda is just taking advantage of them thinking a touchscreen is all they need to provide.

Sean2903

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
LOL, you should be a politician ... redirecting the question. I have no idea if he has, but that doesn't change the fact Honda should take a "wee bit" more pride in their infotainment system. I wonder why they don't have more pride in their infotainment system in the lower end vehicles? It's not like this is a problem with only this generation civic. Audio has never been great for Honda in general. (luckily in my old integra I could just replace it) They seem to care in most of the Acura lineup, although the 2nd gen TSX was a horrible system. They seem intent on marketing to millennials who I presume would like decent audio but maybe I've answered my own question here. Millennials raised on mp3's and computer issues think this is normal so Honda is just taking advantage of them thinking a touchscreen is all they need to provide.
i should be a politician thank you thats very kind. I asked because what is going to be fixed if he sits on an internet site and complains rather than bring it in to honda to have them fix it? Also i am a millennial lol so yea i am fine with just a touch screen. Actually i think the problem is older generations that are close minded and have no want for progress. How can we have progress without making some mistakes along the way? Oh right i have an answer for that we can't. I also love how you put LOL but you are obviously not laughing as this is bothering you and the OP a lot that you must hate something so much. Honestly thats what is wrong with this world unless people have something to hate they aren't happy.

OP
OP
KillTeamSix

KillTeamSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T WOP, 2001 Saturn Sl1
i should be a politician thank you thats very kind. I asked because what is going to be fixed if he sits on an internet site and complains rather than bring it in to honda to have them fix it? Also i am a millennial lol so yea i am fine with just a touch screen. Actually i think the problem is older generations that are close minded and have no want for progress. How can we have progress without making some mistakes along the way? Oh right i have an answer for that we can't. I also love how you put LOL but you are obviously not laughing as this is bothering you and the OP a lot that you must hate something so much. Honestly thats what is wrong with this world unless people have something to hate they aren't happy.
I'm 27 bro. I fall into your demographic. Quit falling into the mold of a hive mindset. Mistakes along the way is fine but do you think Honda or the dealer would sell you the car if you showed up 500 dollars short of an agreed to price? No they would stand firm and not sell you the car. Oppositely if I make good on bringing every single dollar promised to purchase the vehicle it should be delivered in perfect condition including the stereo functionality and reliability.. Anything less is again from the technical standpoint, broken.. failure Not a glitch.

I understand things can break or fail early or were overlooked but this is an out the door problem and Honda is completely responsible. In fact I am surprised there is not a class action suit against them for the amount of concurrent issues surrounding the infotainment system and its complete inability to be swapped out. No one has a temper in here. Sorry I speak with big boy words and know how to catch peoples attention. You guys are admittedly saying I mindfucked you into opening the thread. Sorry about that.. Guess I'm smart. Older generations don't have some mindset where they think they are owed something when you buy a 24k car... You just expect everything to work that comes with it. I guess you wouldn't understand since everything made these days is complete garbage, breaks faster and ships from China. Oh and everyone gets trophies! Even Honda for the winner attempt at making da bluetoof touch screen radio navigator stereo!

(Edit) By the way I don't hate my car, Honda, any of you or my broken infotainment turd... Maybe I love my car a lot and want to enjoy it a little more by having everything work.
*Also the infotainment system can't be classified as a qualifying defect under lemon laws unless there is a state/province that specifically has it written in. Your best bet here is for Honda to be a good company or sue the fuck out of them class actions status. Should have added the [self] tag at the beginning of my post that signals to you all you big brain high post counters out there my thread was regarding my experience. Also of note it was posted in the "general discussion" area. Anything official or regarding recalls or lemons etc would be in the correct category of the forum.

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not arguing that there isn't an underlying software issue here, but given that the BT issue is sporadic, I wouldn't rule out a hardware issue.

It's possible that a significant number of the head units were slightly defective. Most likely a bad solder joint on the BT antenna connection, not enough to be caught in a QC check, but certainly enough to cause problems in the real-world; perhaps even being aggravated by the software issue.

We had a MacBook with a similar WiFi connection issue. Apple thought it was drivers, but once they got enough complaints they discovered that it was indeed a batch of defective WiFi/BT cards.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL actually I was LOL at your political response. You are correct I am ticked off with Honda's entertainment system. I am being 100% honest about their dumb ass system and the idea that major mistakes are acceptable with a 1/40th of a million dollar vehicle. You are correct that issues will arise as we progress along, and change is good. This infotainment issue is going "a bit" beyond what is a reasonable "mistake". They are a 154 billion dollar company that can buy the best programmers in the world. This is simply arrogant negligence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KillTeamSix

KillTeamSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not arguing that there isn't an underlying software issue here, but given that the BT issue is sporadic, I wouldn't rule out a hardware issue.

It's possible that a significant number of the head units were slightly defective. Most likely a bad solder joint on the BT antenna connection, not enough to be caught in a QC check, but certainly enough to cause problems in the real-world; perhaps even being aggravated by the software issue.

We had a MacBook with a similar WiFi connection issue. Apple thought it was drivers, but once they got enough complaints they discovered that it was indeed a batch of defective WiFi/BT cards.
Exactly! Like I said, I work in IT and this is not an acceptable issue! It would be different if after a few years a majority of all the early infotainment systems started failing and experiencing intermittent connectivity... Every single owner would be demanding it to be replaced. Until Honda realizes the potential for the bad PR and sales hits they would take, there will be no fix. Does not help you have literal deniers and defenders of Honda on this problem.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You make a great point here. My brother in-law worked as a tech at Nortel and they had a wireless unit (I don't know what it was, but it was big time)... worth over $30 000 and they were having issues in the field. Customers were very upset and they had several emergency meetings of engineers flown in from around the planet ... they couldn't figure it out. The project lead decided to ask his friend (my brother in-law who worked on another production line) to see what he thought. It was the first time they approached him ... so he said, ok, give me a day with some of the faulty units. Turns out it was bad soldering on one tiny circuit that only showed up with physical inspection/testing. Of course you can throw in any bad Nortel jokes you want ... but they were a major player and this happened.

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The OP's complaint that his Windows phone will not connect via cable is silly, but as a person experiencing Bluetooth issues with last year's Moto X Pure, I agree that the system is broken in some way. My phone runs pretty close to stock Android, and two days after buying the car, I had the stuttering issue with any audio coming via Bluetooth - different apps yielded the same skipping result.

Rebooting the head unit did no good. Turning off Apple Car Play did no good. The handful of "fixes" I've been able to find did no good. The only thing that worked was me turning off Bluetooth on my phone, trying to connect to another phone (which wasn't in the car,) and re-pairing my phone. Then it happened again the very next time I got in the car.

There is a problem with Honda's BT connection. It isn't an Android, Apple, or Microsoft issue, and it isn't necessarily a phone model issue. It is, however, a Honda issue, and having to remove and re-pair a phone every time I get in the car is not an acceptable fix. Fortunately, Android Auto does work with my phone, so I'm able to get by, but that really isn't a resolution to the problem, as I don't always want to take my phone out and plug it in, and 50% of the time forgetting the phone in the car when I get out .
I wonder if it's a phone issue. My iPhone 7Plus will not work with hands free calling unless I'm plugged in to USB Port with Car Play running. I have no problem using my Galaxy S7 via Bluetooth in using hands free, and I do not have to be connected via USB port and Android Auto running.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ugh. This is what happens when you take out the aux port. Why'd you take out the aux port, Honda?

I'm worried cause I have a windows phone as well. The BT works fine in my 2015, but the 10th gen audio systems are apparently married to the other brand(s). I'd really rather not put allllll my music on a thumb drive unless the UI in the car is really good.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CiviC EX W/Sensing '16, Integra '98
Country flag
@ Original Poster:

1. Your Bluetooth problem seems really bad. It is Honda's fault.

2. Honda is not bound to ensure connectivity to all types of phone OS, period. The infotainment USB connection is for Apple and Android, not for Winphone and Blackberry. Honda never said you would connect a Windows phone and enjoy the infotainment. Why did you assume that since it is USB, you will connect, and it will work? Have you tried connecting a Windows tablet to a laptop via USB. Physical connection is a condition, but not an assurance that data transfer will work. There are many good apps that are for iOS & Anrdoid only; Win users are not calling those apps jokes. They know that smaller market share of Windows is not significant enough to inspire the developers to put any efforts.

Your argument is silly and childish.

It is like: I buy a 50lb kettle bell for exercise, and when I fail to lift it with one hand -I start blaming the kettle bell for being too heavy. I should have known how heavy that 50lb is. You cannot buy skinny or Tall/large t-shirt and whine if it does not fit you. Everything is not designed to fit everything. I did not see any promise from Honda that the USB will work with Windows phone. If a salesperson told you such things -ask him again.

In this case, it is not Honda's fault. Though I know how irritated you are, but you are expecting things that Honda did not promise when you bought the car.

Have a nice day!

OP
OP
KillTeamSix

KillTeamSix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ Original Poster:

1. Your Bluetooth problem seems really bad. It is Honda's fault.

2. Honda is not bound to ensure connectivity to all types of phone OS, period. The infotainment USB connection is for Apple and Android, not for Winphone and Blackberry. Honda never said you would connect a Windows phone and enjoy the infotainment. Why did you assume that since it is USB, you will connect, and it will work? Have you tried connecting a Windows tablet to a laptop via USB. Physical connection is a condition, but not an assurance that data transfer will work. There are many good apps that are for iOS & Anrdoid only; Win users are not calling those apps jokes. They know that smaller market share of Windows is not significant enough to inspire the developers to put any efforts.

Your argument is silly and childish.

It is like: I buy a 50lb kettle bell for exercise, and when I fail to lift it with one hand -I start blaming the kettle bell for being too heavy. I should have known how heavy that 50lb is. You cannot buy skinny or Tall/large t-shirt and whine if it does not fit you. Everything is not designed to fit everything. I did not see any promise from Honda that the USB will work with Windows phone. If a salesperson told you such things -ask him again.

In this case, it is not Honda's fault. Though I know how irritated you are, but you are expecting things that Honda did not promise when you bought the car.

Have a nice day!

My argument is silly? I believe my original post was targeting the bluetooth issues and not so much the USB connection at all. Even still I have already made the point that cheap Sony Xplod stereos could read music files off of ANY device through a USB connection. I have even tried USB sticks to play music and movies on the civic and reliability is at an all time low. That just the icing on the cake because I would prefer bluetooth or aux over USB. Forgetting the bluetooth issues this was just pointed out to solidify the idea that infotainment system is broken and the single biggest joke about the car.

Your example is trash too. The idea that I would buy a kettle bell that I am incapable of lifting is stupidity. A good comparison relevant to our car situation and your retarded example would be if I was only 3 feet tall and could not reach the pedals. Although I was aware of my disadvantage in being able to safely operate the vehicle, I purchase it, I struggle to drive it and try to blame Honda for me not being able to operate the vehicle. That is close to what your example embodies. Either way you can eventually lift a 50 lb kettle bell with practice and hard work. There is no amount of hard work, patience and practice that will ultimately get my infotainment system to function. Thanks for you input but you completely missed.

The idea here really is that there is no universally accepted medium for music connectivity on this car. Let's just face it. Regardless of how you connect or if you are having loads of issues with the civic infotainment system... it could have all been avoided just by the inclusion of an Aux port. Quit trying to deny that real customers are having hardships with this system regardless of the phone platform they are using. Even if your stereo/system is functioning 100% would you at least not like the idea of a Honda developed upgrade to it?

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Round and round she goes. Someone needs to close and lock this thread already!

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I find it hard to listen to you talk about how broken the head unit is when you also made a post about how you didn't know how to reset the trip counter on your car.
Sponsored