Infotainment System Completely Dead

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, 5,500 miles on my Touring and today I turned it on and the whole touch screen system is dead. No power to it, nothing happens when I touch it. No radio, nav, backup camera, etc. It was a quiet ride to work. They got me an appt. on Friday and I'll let you all know what they find. Anyone else have theirs die entirely?
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Yes, this is not an uncommon occurrence. After some time the head unit will restart, and you will see an error message about losing power / losing satellite signal. Then when you go to your service appointment and explain to them what happened, they will tell you that nothing is showing up in the logs, and since they can't reproduce it, you can go pound sand.

But please, do report it the problem to Honda.

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
Yes, this is not an uncommon occurrence. After some time the head unit will restart, and you will see an error message about losing power / losing satellite signal. Then when you go to your service appointment and explain to them what happened, they will tell you that nothing is showing up in the logs, and since they can't reproduce it, you can go pound sand.

But please, do report it the problem to Honda.
That sounds like Honda alright. They are worse than Hyundai when it comes to service. It took less than 2 months of ownership to make me realize I will never buy a Honda again.

OP
OP
LBug

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was also told when I purchased the car any repairs I need they provide loaner cars. The service person on the phone today says "Oh, we don't do loaner cars," like I was nuts. What dealership doesn't provide loaner cars esp for service on a brand new car? I spoke to the sales guy and he's going to make sure I get a loaner because I have the extended warranty. Glad I got that, I guess if you buy a brand new car without the extended warranty you're chopped liver.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hoping my system will re-set itself like you said. I was about to throw out my 6 year old Magellan Roadmate GPS but I think I'll hang onto it. If this happens and I need directions I'm SOL.

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I had this happen to me one evening. The service desk was still open so I drove to the dealership and showed the receptionist that the infotainment unit would NOT turn on no matter how many times I tried restarting the car. It was just before they closed so she set me up with an appointment the next morning. When I got in my car the next morning to bring it to the dealership the infotainment started right up with the message on the screen that it had lost power. Then they tried to get me to cancel the appointment because it was working properly again. It hasn't happened again since but like has been said, it doesn't give anyone warm+fuzzies to think a brand new car can have such a crucial piece of electronics stop working at any time.

virtual888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Well it is crazy this happens to a new car. I haven't got the car yet but this seems like it's going to cause problem in the future. Hopefully a restart will fix it. Do you have all the latest system update from Honda yet? Ask dealer to get that done if they haven't, it could fix the problem...hopefully

OP
OP
LBug

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, I started up the car after several hours at work and you all were right, it worked after giving me a signal failure message and told me to hold the power button down for a few seconds. It's working but will keep my appointment. Hopefully the updates help, but if it's anything like our programmer 'updates ' at work, for every one thing fixed, another breaks.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
Keep us updated, think I'm glad I got the extended warranty now

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I was also told when I purchased the car any repairs I need they provide loaner cars. The service person on the phone today says "Oh, we don't do loaner cars," like I was nuts. What dealership doesn't provide loaner cars esp for service on a brand new car? I spoke to the sales guy and he's going to make sure I get a loaner because I have the extended warranty. Glad I got that, I guess if you buy a brand new car without the extended warranty you're chopped liver.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hoping my system will re-set itself like you said. I was about to throw out my 6 year old Magellan Roadmate GPS but I think I'll hang onto it. If this happens and I need directions I'm SOL.
As a GPS backup, if you don't want to hold onto the old Magellan Roadmate, if you have an Android phone, Google Maps is really pretty good for navigation. If you want one that you can download the maps to your phone so it doesn't use cellular data, HERE or Co-Pilot are pretty good, too. I'd guess iPhone has something similar, if you have an iPhone.

OP
OP
LBug

LBug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, they said they updated the system. So far so good, but we'll see how it does going forward. The issues were so sporadic it's hard to tell. Still in love with my car...

virtual888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
that's great, hopefully that will fix your problem. I finally got my car, WOP looks amazing. The service manager told me everything is up to date so I took his words. My software version is 1.F186.69. Also I read somewhere that deleting error history periodically also can help with the problem because of low internal memory. You can find those info under "settings". I play with infotainment system too much today, it feels like getting a new smartphone lol.
Sponsored