Infotainment software update?

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag
My head unit in my 2016 EX sedan is in a bad state. I was having annoying issues with reboots and the unit not coming on when the car was cold (usually stopping and starting the engine fixed this) so I tried factory reset and updating from 197.00 -> 197.60. The update seemed to go ok, but now the unit is basically unusable.

It boots, so it’s not exactly bricked. On powerup I still see the H logo, and it does start Bluetooth because it connects to my phone, but it only boots to a black screen (no graphics) and the left side buttons are not working but the backlight is on. However, if I put it in reverse the backup camera comes on and seems to work, but once that “disconnects” the last frame stays stuck on the screen until the unit is rebooted again. The steering wheel controls don’t do anything either (they still work, just nothing related to the head unit).

At this point I’ll try anything since the car is way out of warranty. I saw some references to being able to completely reset using a restore.rom (unfortunately I don’t have one from mine, so if someone has one that should work I’d appreciate it) but I haven’t been able to find a procedure for restoring it. Does anyone know how to do that, or have any ideas what else I could possibly try?

Thanks
Any updates? Have the same problem.

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Found this on: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/how-to-do-a-hard-reset.1525/

"The Quick Service guys said that to do a hard reset of the infotainment system, you need to hold down the dimmer switch while pressing the audio off and menu buttons at the same time. Hold them down for a long time, until the screen asks if you want to reboot. (You may have to let go and hold them down more than once.) Select yes, and the system will reboot. The guy said that they recommend doing this every six months or so, since a lot of data can cache in these systems, and the reboot clears it. Hope this is useful."

By "dimmer switch" I believe it's the physical button on top of the unit that changes the display mode.

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You shouldn't have updated to 1.F197.00. that was not meant for the sedan, 1.F197.60 was. That's the version I flashed and it's been smooth sailing on my 2016 Touring.

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Maybe a stupid question:

Do I need to order a complete head unit with display, or can I just order a radio receiver head unit (https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem-parts/honda-unit-assembly-audio-rmd-mitsubishi-39101tbca32rm) and use my old display?

Logically, the firmware is installed on the head unit and can be simply replaced. If I'm wrong, please tell me how to do it right
All you would need to replace is the head unit, not the touch screen. When you upgraded the firmware, did you wait the full 45 minutes for the new firmware to initialize? That's very important. You also should have removed any software first (Honda Hack, any apps that were side loaded). Additionally, you needed to have about 1.2GB of free space on the head unit to complete the upgrade.

Last edited:

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag
All you would need to replace is the head unit, not the touch screen. When you upgraded the firmware, did you wait the full 45 minutes for the new firmware to initialize? That's very important. You also should have removed any software first (Honda Hack, any apps that were side loaded). Additionally, you needed to have about 1.2GB of free space on the head unit to complete the upgrade.
Do I only need to order this head unit: https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/oem-parts/honda-unit-assembly-audio-rmd-mitsubishi-39101tbca32rm

Yes, I did everything according to the instructions: hard reset, installed it, then rolled around the city for an hour, etc.

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R Sonic Pearl Grey R-43285
Country flag
Any updates for the hatchback? My infotainment be fuckin up again

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
We’re you able to sort your issue?
Or did you buy a new head unit?

has anyone updated successfully from .70 to 1.F197.60 without having problems?

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag
We’re you able to sort your issue?
Or did you buy a new head unit?

has anyone updated successfully from .70 to 1.F197.60 without having problems?
Hey, I was lucky to find a new head unit on ebay for $80. I put my display on a new head unit, it took about 2 hours to change it. Now everything works perfectly and without problems.

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
I found a good dealer that actually works on cars Route 23 in New Jersey. They said that they can only switch out the infotainment if you have a video of it happening and after that he said that even after the switch they still fail. But the dude said that the more people that do it it will force Honda to fix the issue. They said that a majority of the cars they get in are failed infotainment

GWX777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2018
Country flag
Hi, anybody here successful in rebooting this headunit to recovery mode as follows?

Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment software update? UpdateMode-MY16ADA

I know following would work if you have USB Debugging enabled.
Code:
adb reboot recovery
I recall someone has accidentally stumbled upon this menu, but I want to know if we can get to this screen via a button touch combination like for a typical android phone (VOL DOWN + POWER etc.).

Many thanks in advance.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
yes, I've seen it done on the 10th gen, and I've done it on accident as well. It's a combo of holding the top "brightness button, + or - and power. I don't recall the exact details though. Been too long. Hondahack has been running on my 10th gen for a long time without issues. Ain't broke....

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Hi, anybody here successful in rebooting this headunit to recovery mode as follows?

UpdateMode-MY16ADA.jpg

I know following would work if you have USB Debugging enabled.
Code:
adb reboot recovery
I recall someone has accidentally stumbled upon this menu, but I want to know if we can get to this screen via a button touch combination like for a typical android phone (VOL DOWN + POWER etc.).

Many thanks in advance.
what car is that?