elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
Is there any updates? would rather try an update than to take it to the dealership. Been having carplay issues. Says the build number is 1.F1A6.81
I just bought a ‘21 type r and have the same update and have extremely annoying issues
Sponsored

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
My head unit in my 2016 EX sedan is in a bad state. I was having annoying issues with reboots and the unit not coming on when the car was cold (usually stopping and starting the engine fixed this) so I tried factory reset and updating from 197.00 -> 197.60. The update seemed to go ok, but now the unit is basically unusable.

It boots, so it’s not exactly bricked. On powerup I still see the H logo, and it does start Bluetooth because it connects to my phone, but it only boots to a black screen (no graphics) and the left side buttons are not working but the backlight is on. However, if I put it in reverse the backup camera comes on and seems to work, but once that “disconnects” the last frame stays stuck on the screen until the unit is rebooted again. The steering wheel controls don’t do anything either (they still work, just nothing related to the head unit).

At this point I’ll try anything since the car is way out of warranty. I saw some references to being able to completely reset using a restore.rom (unfortunately I don’t have one from mine, so if someone has one that should work I’d appreciate it) but I haven’t been able to find a procedure for restoring it. Does anyone know how to do that, or have any ideas what else I could possibly try?

Thanks
Did you ever end up taking it to the dealer?

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I wouldn't use the 1.F197.00 file unless your car is a hatchback, as it seems it can cause issues if the firmware isn't made for your specific configuration. You can use the Honda Firmware Downloader to get the latest version of firmware for your model and trim, but you have to have the correct TSB number and input your VIN in order to do so (the old downloader no longer works and the new one requires dealer/service login). For the 2016 Civic Touring Coupe, the 19-101 TSB (for the 2016-2017 sedans and coupes) was the most recent one with an infotainment firmware update that I could find. I did this a few months ago, so I don't know if there is anything newer available now. Anyway, I was able to successfully update my firmware from 1.F186.69 to 1.F197.60 (the firmware version number is different for the sedans 2017 models) by following the instructions in the TSB.

Note: If your current firmware version is higher than the one listed on the most recent TSB, I wouldn't try to update it, as it may brick the head unit.

Edit: I believe I still have the files for the 1.F197.60 update (see below). The firmware I'm putting here is good only for 2016 Civic coupes and sedans (EX, EX-T, Touring). It lists 1.F196.39 for the 2017 models, which I don't have. The files are linked below:

TSB 19-101 (has instructions on how to update infotainment)
1.F197.60 firmware update (only for 2016 Civic coupes and sedans with EX, EX-T, or Touring trim)
Has anyone upgraded to this firmware on a 2016 Touring, and if so, does Android Auto work? If you previously updated to 1F197.00 I know that had issues, but that wasn't meant for the 2016 Sedan, while 1F197.60 is.

kruuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
Yeah I can't get the infotainment working on the old head unit. Is there a way to force a flash? I already replaced mine but ice got the HU if someone wants it

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Has anyone upgraded to this firmware on a 2016 Touring, and if so, does Android Auto work? If you previously updated to 1F197.00 I know that had issues, but that wasn't meant for the 2016 Sedan, while 1F197.60 is.
That file seems right. If you are having issues I'd try it. If your system is working okay though I wouldn't mess with it. Too many bugs out there.

Mixail

First Name
Mixail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was updating Touring 2016, but with one SwUpdate.mdt file (it's in the 1110 folder). Android auto works.

exlhpstudent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2020
Country flag
I have Si 2020 without Nav. Is it poosible to upgade / flash a firmware from touring model that would enable Nav? TIA

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I flashed 1.F197.60 to my 2016 Civic Touring this afternoon, everything works as expected, including Android Auto. I had to get with the author of Honda Hack to get my authorization code working again with the new firmware. For those of you wondering, this version is correct for the 2016 Sedan.

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag
Updated to 1.F197.60, Civic EX-T 2016 and now I just have a black screen, nothing works except the rear camera ?
Need to find a new/used head unit.

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Updated to 1.F197.60, Civic EX-T 2016 and now I just have a black screen, nothing works except the rear camera ?
Did you factory reset the unit prior to the upgrade? I did that, and the upgrade went off without a hitch.

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When you flashed the update, did you wait the 45 mins for the update to apply. You have to keep your car on the entire time. Again, you also want the 4GB thumb drive formatted to FAT32. You could try pulling the battery and trying again.

AV-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2016
Country flag
Did you factory reset the unit prior to the upgrade? I did that, and the upgrade went off without a hitch.
Yes, I did a hard reset and then updated the firmware. Now I am thinking of buying an used OEM head unit or aftermarket head unit ?

Last edited:

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm honestly not sure why your upgrade didn't take. After doing a factory reset, removing Honda Hack and uninstalling all apps, I started the upgrade and it went right through. What version did you upgrade from, and are you sure you flashed 1.F197.60? Version 1.197.00 had some serious problems with the 2016 Sedan.

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, I did a hard reset and then updated the firmware. Now I am thinking of buying a used OEM head unit or aftermarket head unit ?
Try pulling the fuse and the battery if that doesn't work.

random4t4x14

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, I did a hard reset and then updated the firmware. Now I am thinking of buying an used OEM head unit or aftermarket head unit ?
I had this same issue just tonight. I turned the car off for 25 minutes. After turning on the car, I was prompted with a screen to enable the security system. Touching the Power button for 2 seconds fully resolved the issue. Best of luck!
Sponsored