Infotainment software update?

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I will say it again for the people in the back row.
Only your dealer should be installing updates to your car.
Not all updates are for all models. They are not interchangeable. If you aren’t sure the update is for you you should stay even further away.

Outside of that. None of the updates do anything of note. They are incredibly minor changes at best and actively break things for the wrong model at worse.

Honda does not intend for you to make these updates yourself and they don’t put out release notes of what, if anything noticeable is even different.
You’re on a dumb quest at the risk of messing up your car just to see a higher number appear with no discernible improvement.

Stop.
I don't think that CarPlay disconnecting by itself or not starting at all or usb devices not being detected or the screen going black after making a right turn to name a few issues are minor changes..
Sponsored

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't think that CarPlay disconnecting by itself or not starting at all or usb devices not being detected or the screen going black after making a right turn to name a few issues are minor changes..
Except that no where is it laid out by Honda in release notes that that is an intended change. And you you read thorough the thread you’ll see people who both have had had new issues with android auto introduced and still have issues with CarPlay linger.

If you installed new firmware on your own and it resolved your problems, that’s good for you , but it should not be taken as a given that other people will have the same experience, and indeed anyone who has actually read the thread will be multiple instances of more problems being introduced.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Except that no where is it laid out by Honda in release notes that that is an intended change. And you you read thorough the thread you’ll see people who both have had had new issues with android auto introduced and still have issues with CarPlay linger.

If you installed new firmware on your own and it resolved your problems, that’s good for you , but it should not be taken as a given that other people will have the same experience, and indeed anyone who has actually read the thread will be multiple instances of more problems being introduced.
have you read the tsb? it is very clearly laid out that it fixes EXACTLY those issues and quite a bit more.

https://www.civicx.com/attachments/a18-001-pdf.100930/

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I wasn’t aware people still had copies of the TSB floating around since Honda closed public access to the TSB database well over a year ago. So no I hadn’t seen this.

What year and model did you apply this to?One listed on the TSB or no?
This can be found on THIS THREAD, which you assumed I did not read. It is post #271 somewhere around page 19.

Yes, 2017 hatch for tsb 18-001. 16-001 was for the non-hatch cars.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
This can be found on THIS THREAD, which you assumed I did not read. It is post #271 somewhere around page 19.

Yes, 2017 hatch for tsb 18-001. 16-001 was for the non-hatch cars.
Ok. So you personally are well informed here. And I have no issue admitting moreso than me. But that was never the point.
You applied an update meant for your car yourself.

The people a few posts above aren’t even sure the update is meant for their car.

You’ve read the thread. Then you know there is a bunch of misinformation. Confusion. Lack of clarity. Unintended consequences.
So you know exactly what I’m warning against for people who aren’t as informed as you are.

Like, obviously there are people on this forum who’ve figured out how to roll back a bad patch. But that’s not most people. And those people know I’m not talking about them.

Like I’m sitting here myself , having seen this TSB now, feeling tempted to ignore my own advice and try and install this on my 2016 because I’m plagued with all those problems. But I also know it’s a huge pain of it doesn’t go right. It’s just a bad idea.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Ok. So you personally are well informed here. And I have no issue admitting moreso than me. But that was never the point.
You applied an update meant for your car yourself.

The people a few posts above aren’t even sure the update is meant for their car.

You’ve read the thread. Then you know there is a bunch of misinformation. Confusion. Lack of clarity. Unintended consequences.
So you know exactly what I’m warning against for people who aren’t as informed as you are.

Like, obviously there are people on this forum who’ve figured out how to roll back a bad patch. But that’s not most people. And those people know I’m not talking about them.

Like I’m sitting here myself , having seen this TSB now, feeling tempted to ignore my own advice and try and install this on my 2016 because I’m plagued with all those problems. But I also know it’s a huge pain of it doesn’t go right. It’s just a bad idea.
You are trying to herd cats here, i dont even know why you are trying. If people are dumb enough NOT to read the tsb (or the instructions) before installing something that could potentially be catastrophic, thats their own fault.

I see from your avatar that you have the ‘16 touring, dont do the 18-001. A colleague of mine has the ‘16 ex-t and just had his unit flashed under warranty a few months ago. He tells me it fixed a lot of his issues, i will find out what version he is at.

thewebmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-L Navi Hatchback (CVT-Turbo)
Country flag
EXACTLY this! Go to the dealer and ask, if they say you have the latest, leave it alone. Period.

That said, I did use HondaHack to open up some things that were locked down, but even that is far from a novice process (I'm an Android dev by trade).

I will say it again for the people in the back row.
Only your dealer should be installing updates to your car.
Not all updates are for all models. They are not interchangeable. If you aren’t sure the update is for you you should stay even further away.

Outside of that. None of the updates do anything of note. They are incredibly minor changes at best and actively break things for the wrong model at worse.

Honda does not intend for you to make these updates yourself and they don’t put out release notes of what, if anything noticeable is even different.
You’re on a dumb quest at the risk of messing up your car just to see a higher number appear with no discernible improvement.

Stop.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Why the hell would you believe the dealer without doing your own research first? The dealer will tell you what benefits them.. I went to the dealer that sold me my car and they said that that was a known issue with my system. I came here did an HOUR worth of research, found the tsb, printed it called another dealer, scheduled a service visit, handed them the printed tsb and they took care of everything.. DO NOT RELY ON WHAT THE DEALER TELLS YOU. Do your research!

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
You are trying to herd cats here, i dont even know why you are trying. If people are dumb enough NOT to read the tsb (or the instructions) before installing something that could potentially be catastrophic, thats their own fault.

I see from your avatar that you have the ‘16 touring, dont do the 18-001. A colleague of mine has the ‘16 ex-t and just had his unit flashed under warranty a few months ago. He tells me it fixed a lot of his issues, i will find out what version he is at.
I don’t believe Honda has graced us even ever so slightly older owners with such an update. But I’d be happy to be wrong though.
With the route to finding out about TSBs basically now only dealership or Honda employees willing to pass that information along it’s not much more difficult to even know if something has been released.
Unless I’ve missed something.

Gonzo_Si

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My 2018 SI has software rev 1.F1A2.34 March 15, 2018 (From Factory.. before any updates)

Out Of Interest.. (so we are comparing Oranges with Oranges) or actually 2018 SI, with 2018 Si --

2018 Si Owners... what is YOUR current Software Version ???

[/QUOTE]
Bored at work and browsing and saw this...I have a 2018 Si Sedan and my software version is 1.F1A1.25, below yours...interesting. Surely you having a Coupe wouldn't require a different software?? Who knows with Honda

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
Just upgraded from 1.F191.02 to 1.F197.00. Everything is working and I have noticed a slight improvement to the performance (speed) of the UI. Android Auto is still fully functioning, including audio. (Note, mine is a 2017 Hatchback, so the firmware is made for my model). Mine is also Honda Hacked, the root was lost after the upgrade but I was able to re-root it again and everything is still working. (I use a laptop to root via usb).

Wonder if someone could get the 2018 firmware versions, if we could install those on the 2017?

Snapchat-509107506.jpg
Where do I get the files and instructions on how to root this HU? Asian Civic hatchback 2017 here. Do you use Honda Hack?

I have CarPlay disconnecting by itself or not starting at all

Asian Hatchback 2017 here. Going for version 197 (currently on 195)

This process is very sensitive for what usb you use. The first USB (USB 3) I used did not trigger the prompt.. the second USB triggered the prompt but when I click yes.. nothing happens.. third USB same result as 2nd.. anyone knows what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Can anyone figure out how to go back to your head unit's original software that is a lower version? I have the original software it just won't install. Is there a way you could rename the old software a higher version number so it will install again? I'm really missing a functional Android Auto. Thanks

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
I can’t even get the HU to install a higher version. Plugged in. Got the prompt. Clicked yes. Nothing happens

Good luck! Maybe you could try Honda workshop in your area to help

Can anyone figure out how to go back to your head unit's original software that is a lower version? I have the original software it just won't install. Is there a way you could rename the old software a higher version number so it will install again? I'm really missing a functional Android Auto. Thanks

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
It’s not designed to be downgradable, but if you search carefully you’ll see a couple people posting about how they were able to.
It’s quite technical though. I believe you’ll need root and HondaHack as a start.
So really depends on your skill level.
Sponsored