Infotainment Screen Black but Responsive

nblsu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic EX-L
The other day, I turned on my car and the infortainment screen in the middle is black. It still responds to touch (for example, i can press the climate button and still change the air speed based on remembering where the buttons are), but it's totally black. I've tried rebooting the screen by holding the audio power button and pressing where "yes" would pop up when it asks to reboot. The screen will power off and restart, but still black. Then when I left work today the screen turned on like normal and worked like it normally would until I turned the car off again and its black again. I've tried pulling and resetting the audio fuse to no avail also. Has anyone else experienced this/have any possible solutions? The dealership said they would charge me $95 just to diagnose the issue (they said it’s only covered in the bumper to bumper 3yr/36k warranty and my car is at 43.5k), and since its not affecting the way the car drives, I'm trying to avoid dropping money on that if i don’t have to, especially since it seems to be a memory/short issue.
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The other day, I turned on my car and the infortainment screen in the middle is black. It still responds to touch (for example, i can press the climate button and still change the air speed based on remembering where the buttons are), but it's totally black. I've tried rebooting the screen by holding the audio power button and pressing where "yes" would pop up when it asks to reboot. The screen will power off and restart, but still black. Then when I left work today the screen turned on like normal and worked like it normally would until I turned the car off again and its black again. I've tried pulling and resetting the audio fuse to no avail also. Has anyone else experienced this/have any possible solutions? The dealership said they would charge me $95 just to diagnose the issue (they said it’s only covered in the bumper to bumper 3yr/36k warranty and my car is at 43.5k), and since its not affecting the way the car drives, I'm trying to avoid dropping money on that if i don’t have to, especially since it seems to be a memory/short issue.
Since you said the touch part of the screen still works and the software is still functional, I seriously doubt that the issue lies in the software of the headunit. My guess would be that it has to be a hardware connection, namely the cable that connects the screen to everything is probably loose. That, or you have a defective LCD panel and it needs to be replaced (which would mean you probably have to go to the dealer). $95 is a little ridiculous considering whatever issue your having is not user error and it isn't your fault that a screen went out on a 2 year old car, but I have a feeling that if it isn't the loose connection, you're probably gonna have to take it in. Hopefully I'm wrong and it is something simple though.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Did you try the screen brightness button on top of the display? Its possible to toggle the display off, and hitting that button will bring it back.
Sponsored