jgreguri

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
2021 Civic Type R. Infotainment Has been periodically crash-ey since new, green screen / freezes, etc. but livable. As of today won't display temp / fan speed or let me access 'climate' function; that's the last straw, I need that. Manual reboot / restart doesn't work, can't access 'settings' bc it tells me I 'need to be stopped' to do so. I am stopped with e brake on; locked out glitch? Completely stock car less than 2k miles, no aftermarket electronic mods to car, use apple car play with non-aftermarket iPhone cord. This is sad bc I love the car but the dang screen is killing me. Suggestions before I go to dealer?

Note, this issue happens regardless whether phone is plugged in or not.

Extra note, left side steering wheel controls do not work for infotainment but do work for center gauge cluster functions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Time to take it in I guess. The one thing about this car--which I otherwise adore--that I hate is the infotainment. I can live with the actual sound quality (my ears are trash, and I listen mostly to metal anyhow), but the rest of the functions are pretty crappy. Loses connection to the phone regularly, slow to boot up, sometimes just decides to not boot up, resets itself occasionally, slow inputs, clunky interface, yeah. The systems in my VWs and Audi were far better. Hell, thee Sync 3 system in my wife's Ford Escape blows this away.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the car, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. But the only reasons I seriously considered a Veloster N over this were the exhaust sound and the much better infotainment system. Why Honda puts this POS system in their otherwise very good cars is beyond me.

OP
OP
jgreguri

jgreguri

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback all. Yeah, tried a long power button press / force reboot no luck. Seems like infotainment bugs are quite common amongst Type Rs, and across other Honda models. Its a shame they can't get it right this late in the model run, most other automakers seem to have screens figured out. Kinda wish it had the basic 4" screen and separate, hard climate controls from my (previous) base model '18 sport hatch, never any bugs there. I'd still drive the R every time, despite the screen issues!

As simple as disconnecting the battery is I've decided to take it to the dealer, since its under warranty and I don't want to start yanking wires. Going in on Thursday, will update with what they find out, maybe will help others with similar issues?

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
2019 here with 22k, never had an issue with infotainment...until yesterday.

I sat in my car, put it into accessory mode for some music and to roll down the window. When I turned it off when I was finished everything was normal. When I go to leave, I got the white Honda logo on screen, then it froze, then went black. My phone was still connected via BT and playing music. I had no volume or arrow button control. The screen stayed black. I got home, turned the car off, then put it in accessory mode, turned that off, then turned the car back on and it seemed normal with exception of a little lag/freezing. Went to the grocery store an hour later or so, everything was fine until I was leaving; it booted just fine but the time was wrong. BF said it might be the battery. :dunno:

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I feel like my CarPlay has gotten less reliable since iOS 14. It seems to crash more frequently. Could be a cable going bad though.

OP's problems sound far worse. Time for a dealer trip.

OP
OP
jgreguri

jgreguri

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Other than that, worth giving a battery pull a go to get it 100% restarted -It's usually just in a "sleep" state when the car is off, so weird issues like this can persist until it's forcibly rebooted.
Update: Took it to the dealership today. The tech said it needed a "hard restart" and did so by pulling a fuse, I assume this would be the equivalent of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? As I know nothing about cars I am happy to take it to the dealer and let them do this under warranty, which they did. Now the infotainment is back to factory working order, volume, backup camera, steering wheel controls, et al..., and I can use my climate controls, most importantly.

Regrettably, I forgot to ask what specific fuse was pulled. I guess if this ever happens again (hopefully it won't) I'll make sure to ask! I still love my R, despite its 'esoteric' screen.

My phone was still connected via BT and playing music.
BF said it might be the battery.
Hmm a possible BoyTooth / BlueFriend mix-up, I beginning to see how the screen thinks... a real honda clusterpuck. Better keep an eye on it or you may end up in infotainment HE double hockey sticks!

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Update: Took it to the dealership today. The tech said it needed a "hard restart" and did so by pulling a fuse, I assume this would be the equivalent of disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? As I know nothing about cars I am happy to take it to the dealer and let them do this under warranty, which they did. Now the infotainment is back to factory working order, volume, backup camera, steering wheel controls, et al..., and I can use my climate controls, most importantly.

Regrettably, I forgot to ask what specific fuse was pulled. I guess if this ever happens again (hopefully it won't) I'll make sure to ask! I still love my R, despite its 'esoteric' screen.

Hmm a possible BoyTooth / BlueFriend mix-up, I beginning to see how the screen thinks... a real honda clusterpuck. Better keep an eye on it or you may end up in infotainment HE double hockey sticks!
Unplugging the battery for X seconds would create the same effect if I'm not mistaken. But keep in mind it may also wipe all the computers as well. Also your dash will light up like a Christmas light when you disconnect the battery and all the systems have to reinitialize so you'll get every warning imaginable upon restart. All errors/warnings will go away after like 10-15 minutes of driving though.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Bummer! I've had terrible CarPlay issues with my 2021 CTR, so I tried just using BlueTooth but I frequently get a black-screen lockout from that as well. Sometimes a reset with the audio power button works, but other times not. Fortunately no problem with other features on the system. I've now loaded some music on a 64GB flash drive and I'm going to give that a go for a while.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I feel like my CarPlay has gotten less reliable since iOS 14. It seems to crash more frequently. Could be a cable going bad though.

OP's problems sound far worse. Time for a dealer trip.
Same for me,
This thing happens where its working fine, I got to fill up gas and then when I turn car back on Carplay freaks out and goes black. Then when I disconnect cable, it still shows car play is connected. I do a simple restart and fixes issue. But its consistent when I get out of car for short time and go back.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Same for me,
This thing happens where its working fine, I got to fill up gas and then when I turn car back on Carplay freaks out and goes black. Then when I disconnect cable, it still shows car play is connected. I do a simple restart and fixes issue. But its consistent when I get out of car for short time and go back.
I had a really bad one today. The restart function wouldn’t work. The menu would pop up and I would select the restart option, but it wouldn’t turn off. Then it wouldn’t turn off when I cut the ignition and got out of the car. The screen stayed on for about a minute. I think the issue is something to do with the auto pairing feature of the Bluetooth connection. I think it’s called Siri hands free link. When that attempts to connect before CarPlay is active, it’s causing problems and crashes. I think I’ve resolved it by deleting the phone out of the Bluetooth devices and only using CarPlay. No crashes since I did this.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gobeyondcreative.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
2021 Civic Type R. Infotainment Has been periodically crash-ey since new, green screen / freezes, etc. but livable. As of today won't display temp / fan speed or let me access 'climate' function; that's the last straw, I need that. Manual reboot / restart doesn't work, can't access 'settings' bc it tells me I 'need to be stopped' to do so. I am stopped with e brake on; locked out glitch? Completely stock car less than 2k miles, no aftermarket electronic mods to car, use apple car play with non-aftermarket iPhone cord. This is sad bc I love the car but the dang screen is killing me. Suggestions before I go to dealer?

Note, this issue happens regardless whether phone is plugged in or not.

Extra note, left side steering wheel controls do not work for infotainment but do work for center gauge cluster functions.
My CTR is only a couple of months old with less than 2k miles on it. For close to 2 weeks not, I've been experiencing issues with the display. Now it won't accept Apple Car Play at all. At first, I thought it was my phone but my wife's iPhone won't connect either. I'm gonna hard reset my phone as a last-ditch effort before taking the car to the dealer.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
My CTR is only a couple of months old with less than 2k miles on it. For close to 2 weeks not, I've been experiencing issues with the display. Now it won't accept Apple Car Play at all. At first, I thought it was my phone but my wife's iPhone won't connect either. I'm gonna hard reset my phone as a last-ditch effort before taking the car to the dealer.
Try this also:
Unplug phone from car, remove/forget vehicle from car play list in iphone settings.
Restart iphone.
Then Restart head unit, hold power button until its asks you to reset.
Then wait for this to finish, turn car off for like 30 seconds then turn back on. Wait 30 seconds after you see home screen to plug phone in.
This usually did the trick for me.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
You have full warranty, go to the dealer & push for new head unit... It's a crap unit, get a new 1 under your warranty
Sponsored

Last edited: