Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Are those steps in this thread?
Yes....here:

NapalmEnema said:

What issue are you having? If you are having issues with getting CarPlay to work consistently - I figured out the best sequence -

Turn on car
Unlock phone
Plug in phone
Hit HOME on the top left on the head unit screen
Hit 'Carplay' icon bottom left

Done.
Sponsored

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Iā€™ll chime in here again and say the issue is still present on my 21 SGP. Itā€™ll happen whether the phone is connected via USB or not. I rarely use CarPlay, just Bluetooth. It was happening when the radio was completely stock a few days from purchase....

Iā€™ve done factory resets, not connecting phone at all, etc. Only thing that seems to help more than anything is that HondaHack disabling option for me right now. Dealer also had their hands tied, couldnā€™t really replace it if they couldnā€™t at least see or replicate it.
I had brought my car in once and they just documented what I told them (same problems as you). The next time I waited until after a reset it showed the wrong GPS location & wrong time zone. I brought it right in and left the car running until they could document it themselves. That's when they agreed to replace the head unit under warranty. Good luck!

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
That's when they agreed to replace the head unit under warranty. Good luck!
I'll be interested to hear if replacing the unit fixes the problem.

Has anyone here had the problems go away after a replacement?

GWX777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2018
Country flag
Huh. I've had no end of problems with my head unit, and I'm Boost Blue too.

Recently it has gotten so bad that I couldn't go more than 5 mins without it crashing and half rebooting. I say half rebooting because it looks like it reboots, but Android Auto doesn't work, and when you push the Audio button to try and switch to BT audio, the screen half changes and freezes. You can hit the Back button, but you can never get into audio. The only thing you can do is turn the car off and let it sit for a while.

The other day I restored Android from the head unit's recovery partition, but it only helped a little. It's not crashing after only 5 minutes anymore, but I still can't get through a drive without it crashing at some point during the drive. Plus, after a crash the other day, the head unit came up in blue coloring instead of red. Blue! Where the hell did THAT come from??

I haven't bothered taking it to the dealer because all the forums say the radio sucks, but this is bad. Like class action bad.

The only way I can reliably listen to music is if I just do it through my phone speaker.

-bob
Hi @Bob_L , did you do this via "adb reboot recovery" command or some other method. could you please advise? TIA.

Last edited:

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hi @Bob_L , did you do this via "adb reboot recovery" command or some other method. could you please advise? TIA.
No, I didn't go that deep. I just used the factory reset option in the head unit. In years past I played with Android ROMs so much I got pretty familiar with wiping the data partition. I guess saying "restoring from the recovery partition" isn't correct, sorry about that.

This is what I did:

Go into settings:
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_01

Choose system settings:
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_02

Scroll down a bunch and choose Factory Data Reset
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_03

Warnings, we must be on the right track!
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_04

An extra warning, this is gettin' good!
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_05

Boom! Boots to Recovery mode and deletes/reformats the data partition:
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure CTR_Reset_06

Now it's back to the factory defaults. As I said, it helped a little, but it didn't really solve my problems. Wish I could be more help.

FWIW, I'm running verion 1.F1A6.81 on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). I might add that Android 4.2.2 came out in February 2013, though it does have a kernel dated 8/21/2020.

-bob

GWX777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2018
Country flag
No, I didn't go that deep. I just used the factory reset option in the head unit. In years past I played with Android ROMs so much I got pretty familiar with wiping the data partition. I guess saying "restoring from the recovery partition" isn't correct, sorry about that.

This is what I did:

Go into settings:
CTR_Reset_01.jpg

Choose system settings:
CTR_Reset_02.jpg

Scroll down a bunch and choose Factory Data Reset
CTR_Reset_03.jpg

Warnings, we must be on the right track!
CTR_Reset_04.jpg

An extra warning, this is gettin' good!
CTR_Reset_05.jpg

Boom! Boots to Recovery mode and deletes/reformats the data partition:
CTR_Reset_06.jpg

Now it's back to the factory defaults. As I said, it helped a little, but it didn't really solve my problems. Wish I could be more help.

FWIW, I'm running verion 1.F1A6.81 on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean). I might add that Android 4.2.2 came out in February 2013, though it does have a kernel dated 8/21/2020.

-bob
I see. thanks very much for this. Actually I'm trying to access the android recovery on this headunit on a 10th gen Civic Hatchback which has been what looks like soft-bricked.

Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure UpdateMode-MY16ADA

I'm trying to find a way to get into this menu. "adb reboot recovery" will take me there however, this headunit doesn't have Android USB Debugging enabled, so no adb command can be executed unfortunately.

Many thanks! Cheers!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I see. thanks very much for this. Actually I'm trying to access the android recovery on this headunit on a 10th gen Civic Hatchback which has been what looks like soft-bricked.

UpdateMode-MY16ADA.jpg

I'm trying to find a way to get into this menu. "adb reboot recovery" will take me there however, this headunit doesn't have Android USB Debugging enabled, so no adb command can be executed unfortunately.

Many thanks! Cheers!
Well this "According to Google" is what you'll need. Maybe someone out there can get the files off theirs for you.

Android Boot Process
  1. 1st Stage is Boot ROM and Boot Loader.
  2. 2nd Stage is Kernel.
  3. 3rd Stage is Init.
  4. 4th Stage is Zygote and DVM.
  5. 5th Stage is SystemServer and Managers.

dennyvo

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2020 & Acura TSX 2013
Country flag
I'll be interested to hear if replacing the unit fixes the problem.

Has anyone here had the problems go away after a replacement?
I've got mine replaced but I still got the same crashing problems, black screen, no audio, and no climate control. I would turn off the car and sit for a bit for the headunit to be back to normal. It's gets really annoying.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I still think it's horrible coding. It seems like these things have a zillion 'handshakes' that they have to do, and they do it...poorly. As far as ACP goes...@NapalmEnema has the process down - it's the ONLY thing that has worked consistently (for me, anyway) and provides reasonably trouble-free operation.

I got a survey yesterday about my CTR and one of the things I really hammered on was this very issue. Of course, that and $5 might get me a cup of coffee somewhere, but at least I tried....

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
After sanding the battery ground, I had almost four weeks of trouble-free operation.
Until yesterday.
It hung twice in 15 minutes. The second time I just arrived home and shut the car off.
I tried it just now. It's fine. It picked up right where it was playing a song when it hung.
Someone needs to be beaten up over this.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I sanded down the battery/frame ground connection late last night, also took the head unit fuse out and left it for a few hours. Had to wait until this morning when the driveway cleared to start the Civic and pull it out.

Went through the usual "system has lost power, hold radio power button for 2 seconds", "systems are initializing, drive carefully", and "lost power, need to find GPS satellites" warnings. The head unit rebooted once or twice during that - I don't know if that had anything to do with the loss of power or not, so as soon as it came back up, I did a factory reset.

After that I took it for a short drive to get the electrical system happy again. During that time I didn't experience any infotainment failures, but that was only a 10 minute trip. We'll see what happens on my next outing.

-bob

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™m linking my previous post that Honda admits to issues and is working on a software HU update.

I havenā€™t read this thread, just wanted to share.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/post-1062168

Also, the following HU reset with car running does work consistently on my ā€˜19 R when ACP blanks out wired to iPhone X Max, restoring ACP:

1) Press and hold in Vol knob (or Pwr if ā€˜17/ā€˜18)
2) Select YES for system restart (takes several minutes)
3) Unplug iPhone from USB tethered cord
4) Turn off iPhone, then turn it back on
5) Reset HU again by holding down Vol knob and resetting, wait for menu to repopulate
6) Unlock iPhone (PIN required vs facial recognition due to power toggle)
7) Connect unlocked iPhone to USB Lightning cable that has USB plugged into lower center console
8) Menu will change Smartphone to Apple Car Play

This blackout doesnā€™t happen again for me same day no matter how many restarts but it usually blacks out screen next day or following day after. The local dealer was unaware of this reset workaround vs restart car/disco battery.

I hope it works for all until software update TSB is fielded. Feel free to PM me with questions.

No, I havenā€™t tried this same method with an Android phone.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Facts (like it or not):

- Those who fiddle with improving ground connection are doing soft reset in the process so it may or may not work for varying amounts of time, donā€™t waste your time trying to fix a good enough ground other then if you find in loose or intermittent but thatā€™d be obvious using it
- If youā€™ve read all of this thread and others, almost everyone experiences the same blackout failure w/ACP or other sources at about the same time, shortly after starting or even randomly.
- We ALL report same symptoms with varying severity impact. Some respond to a software reboot (hold power button/knob) while others require restart or worst case, batt-disco.
-This is known as a software glitch with progressive incompatibility impact. Instructions and routines get jumbled, sometimes so bad the HU wonā€™t respond to inputs to reboot.
- The evolutionary nature of iOS further complicates the interaction with a fixed instruction Android based HU unit, it canā€™t learn new ways, only what is resident so confusion creating more operations and hiccups than it can process is inevitable so it crashes/freezes/shuts down.
- Iā€™ve seen similar things w/Apple at work and they donā€™t care to interact with car, HU, PC, or any entities that arenā€™t paying them to make changes, no one can afford to get their attention unless number of units has several commas
- Honda has finally recognized this issue and is investigating a software solution. Our local SM shared this tech line guidance. Take no action, donā€™t change parts. A software update will be released by TSB.
- How long thatā€™ll take is TBD so either live with it or donā€™t, until new software comes out for HUs, in other words weā€™re all screwed
- Corrective action at user level is futile
- My post above has a reset that once figured out, works 100% but may not work at all for you. Iā€™ll share whatever they tell me on Halloween update, please do same if hear anything new.

This and intermittent gear grind seem to be the Type Rā€™s only Achilles heel.

My OP elsewhere:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-type-r-today.13242/post-1062168

Last edited:

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
<Lots of stuff>
I appreciate the info but unfortunately it doesnā€™t look like it will help me.

I donā€™t have an iPhone, and mineā€™s been crashing in Android Auto, or via Bluetooth only connection, or with no phone connected at all.

For me it seems that a smartphone doesnā€™t have anything to do with it.

I took an 80 mile drive today and didnā€™t have any problems (knock on wood). If it was the frame ground fix, great. If not, maybe just pulling the fuse and letting it reset will keep it running for a few weeks. If so, Iā€™ll keep doing that.

If an update comes, thatā€™s great, but I canā€™t put my hopes on a future possible-update for a discontinued product.

However, I acknowledge that the world doesnā€™t revolve around me so I hope your input helps others.

-bob

Last edited:

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Iā€™m happy to hear that Honda is trying to fix this with a software update.
One thing bothers me, though. I have two Hondas - the 2021 CTR and a 2018 Accord.
Using the same iPhones, the Accord never has had this, or any other, problem. Both phones are on the latest IOS release. I donā€™t know how many IOS releases there have been since 2018, but all have worked.
Honda seems like they know how to do this right, at least on the Accord.
Why the CTR has so many problems remains a mystery to me.
Sponsored