Rovman

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Civic Type R, Porsche GT4
Country flag
Have you tried @NapalmEnema's process from the thread I started? Seems to work for me - IF you follow it 100%:

NapalmEnema said:

What issue are you having? If you are having issues with getting CarPlay to work consistently - I figured out the best sequence -

Turn on car
Unlock phone
Plug in phone
Hit HOME on the top left on the head unit screen
Hit 'Carplay' icon bottom left

Done.

If I do it any other way it's all messed up most of the time - I can't get to the carplay map screen etc.. The way above - consistent every time.
yep, tried all that. same crap… nothing but crashes…. I can leave my phone at home,, turn Bluetooth off, hell, throw it out the window, whatever tickles your fancy, nothing works . It crashes , goes blank, than you have no control of the A/c- heat, Nav, radio, anything that uses that screen is uncontrollable…. Absolutely ridiculous
Sponsored

chrisz5z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Type R - Boost Blue
Country flag
Funny thing is...after rooting the head unit with HondaHack I used Titanium Backup PRO to disable the CarPlay app & Car Play service (I don't use iPhones)...once I did that I had zero issues with Android Auto and had zero issues with the head unit...it never hung/froze after that

...well, until the black screen occurred. Since the dealership already plans on replacing my head unit I'm not going to mess with it until they do...I'm curious how well this new head unit will do

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Funny thing is...after rooting the head unit with HondaHack I used Titanium Backup PRO to disable the CarPlay app & Car Play service (I don't use iPhones)...once I did that I had zero issues with Android Auto and had zero issues with the head unit...it never hung/froze after that

...well, until the black screen occurred. Since the dealership already plans on replacing my head unit I'm not going to mess with it until they do...I'm curious how well this new head unit will do
Maybe I'll try this. I have a paid-for license for Titanium Backup Pro, though it's been years since I used it. I think it's worth a shot anyway.

Maybe having my car painted to another color would help....

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I’ll chime in here again and say the issue is still present on my 21 SGP. It’ll happen whether the phone is connected via USB or not. I rarely use CarPlay, just Bluetooth. It was happening when the radio was completely stock a few days from purchase. Now what I’ve done is HondaHack the headunit, installed Viper4Android for an EQ app (mind you this never had any issues on my 19 or 20 Si). What I also have setup is I programmed the brightness button on top left to kill all programs except V4A and I’ll usually click this a few times during the course of the day. So far this has helped.

However, once in a while, usually after restarting the car from a quick stop, and sometimes when taking a left or right turn, the radio will go black, reboot, and then the time, GPS location is wrong, no audio, no climate control, etc. And I’ll have to let the car sit off for some time before it’ll “reset” back to normal.

I’ve done factory resets, not connecting phone at all, etc. Only thing that seems to help more than anything is that HondaHack disabling option for me right now. Dealer also had their hands tied, couldn’t really replace it if they couldn’t at least see or replicate it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure 69786973-C05B-4852-B81B-FB374654C70C
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure 955DD4F1-3D16-437F-8A1B-F8959E14CE98
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure B1AC412A-0E64-43D5-BC03-4DC0C63C4C76
Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure 0D7D6FC2-44B3-4A64-B9AB-6BDA023831E2

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I’ll chime in here again and say the issue is still present on my 21 SGP. It’ll happen whether the phone is connected via USB or not. I rarely use CarPlay, just Bluetooth. It was happening when the radio was completely stock a few days from purchase. Now what I’ve done is HondaHack the headunit, installed Viper4Android for an EQ app (mind you this never had any issues on my 19 or 20 Si). What I also have setup is I programmed the brightness button on top left to kill all programs except V4A and I’ll usually click this a few times during the course of the day. So far this has helped.

However, once in a while, usually after restarting the car from a quick stop, and sometimes when taking a left or right turn, the radio will go black, reboot, and then the time, GPS location is wrong, no audio, no climate control, etc. And I’ll have to let the car sit off for some time before it’ll “reset” back to normal.

I’ve done factory resets, not connecting phone at all, etc. Only thing that seems to help more than anything is that HondaHack disabling option for me right now. Dealer also had their hands tied, couldn’t really replace it if they couldn’t at least see or replicate it.

69786973-C05B-4852-B81B-FB374654C70C.jpeg
955DD4F1-3D16-437F-8A1B-F8959E14CE98.jpeg
B1AC412A-0E64-43D5-BC03-4DC0C63C4C76.jpeg
0D7D6FC2-44B3-4A64-B9AB-6BDA023831E2.jpeg
I had the same issue with the dealer mine has stopped for NOW but we shall continue monitoring, I did the ground fix and still going strong

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I had the same issue with the dealer mine has stopped for NOW but we shall continue monitoring, I did the ground fix and still going strong
I will be attempting this as well, basically the last thing I haven’t tried. I was pretty confident that would fix it, but others who have tried it said it didn’t so I didn’t bother right away.

chrisz5z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Type R - Boost Blue
Country flag
Maybe I'll try this. I have a paid-for license for Titanium Backup Pro, though it's been years since I used it. I think it's worth a shot anyway.

Maybe having my car painted to another color would help....
Note: if you use Google Play Store/Services to install Titanium Backup PRO make sure you uninstall it afterwards....this 900Mhz 1GB RAM Android tablet of a head unit can't handle Google Play Services running in the background for very long.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Note: if you use Google Play Store/Services to install Titanium Backup PRO make sure you uninstall it afterwards....this 900Mhz 1GB RAM Android tablet of a head unit can't handle Google Play Services running in the background for very long.
Nah, I'm not going to tempt fate by putting something that bloated on the head unit. I'll just pull down the .apk file directly.

I' ve gone through a lot of threads about the head unit this week. Was the "Ground fix" in this thread or another one? Wasn't it something about a person using a multimeter and measuring the resistance to the chassis ground or something like that?

I want to read up on that one and maybe give it a try too.

-bob

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Nah, I'm not going to tempt fate by putting something that bloated on the head unit. I'll just pull down the .apk file directly.

I' ve gone through a lot of threads about the head unit this week. Was the "Ground fix" in this thread or another one? Wasn't it something about a person using a multimeter and measuring the resistance to the chassis ground or something like that?

I want to read up on that one and maybe give it a try too.

-bob
Yeah that was me ?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I will be attempting this as well, basically the last thing I haven’t tried. I was pretty confident that would fix it, but others who have tried it said it didn’t so I didn’t bother right away.
I did the 'ground' fix...didn't work for me, although I'm sure it helped with things that I don't even know about. The thing that has worked the best for me - so far...are the steps that @NapalmEnema had outlined. Even that doesn't seem to be fool proof...but it has worked the most consistently...for me.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Last Monday I had my 2021 head unit replaced under warranty. I took the car on a road trip to Santa Barbara from the SF Bay Area (HWY #1 - YES!). 15 hours over the trip and no audio unit crashes. I didn't use CarPlay, but my original HU would crash just using GPS or playing music with a flash drive. It would typically crash within 15 minutes of starting, and rarely went more than 1 hour without a crash.

I had done the ground connection sanding before which didn't help the old unit, but at least now I know I have a solid ground with the new unit.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Just the other day I ran Google Maps through my phone while connected to the infotainment and got these weird matrix-like artifacts and everything was like white lines but can barely see the map in the background- Very weird.

I always get disconnections and when you press the smartphone connection lower left button you get the 3 beeps and then you know it's lost connection. I'll have to unplug my phone but even doing so it doesn't always reconnect after plugging back in. Very annoying bug when connecting phone to unit. Been like this since I bought it last year. Even bought Honda Hack hoping it would remedy issue but no success.

chrisz5z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Type R - Boost Blue
Country flag
Last Monday I had my 2021 head unit replaced under warranty. I took the car on a road trip to Santa Barbara from the SF Bay Area (HWY #1 - YES!). 15 hours over the trip and no audio unit crashes. I didn't use CarPlay, but my original HU would crash just using GPS or playing music with a flash drive. It would typically crash within 15 minutes of starting, and rarely went more than 1 hour without a crash.

I had done the ground connection sanding before which didn't help the old unit, but at least now I know I have a solid ground with the new unit.
Curious....what's the software build number of the new unit?

Settings -> System -> Detailed Information -> About Device

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
I did the 'ground' fix...didn't work for me, although I'm sure it helped with things that I don't even know about. The thing that has worked the best for me - so far...are the steps that @NapalmEnema had outlined. Even that doesn't seem to be fool proof...but it has worked the most consistently...for me.
Are those steps in this thread?