OP
LaGrrrande

LaGrrrande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, I swapped my USB cable out and it seems to have been behaving ever since (Swapped one Anker Powerline II cable out for a different Anker Powerline II cable, go figure ?).
Sponsored

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine crashes weekly. All sound stops, screen goes black and after a few seconds the Honda emblem appears and it takes a few min to reboot. Its a pretty terrible head unit. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing this thing so it runs smoother, let us know

I've been having this issue with my 2020. In the past two weeks there have been twice where I ended up having to drive home from work and not be able to use the headunit at all. All most like its overheated from the temps outside or something.

Seabass' Fk8

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
been a while since mine crashed but i think it hard froze requiring a restart twice in my car's lifetime.

Havent had the same behavior since, but I also did have a grounding issue a while back that I resolved myself that wreaked havoc on my electrical system.

other times Android Auto acts up i think its just crappy programming on both Honda and Google's part. Sometimes the voice prompts are missing or mistimed.
Would you be so kind as to tell me where the grounding issue was & what the countermeasure was please? Thank you

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Would you be so kind as to tell me where the grounding issue was & what the countermeasure was please? Thank you
Hey yea, so i needed to remove the main ground, clean the surface of paint where it mounted with some sandpaper, and then remounted. There are videos online on how to determine whether the grounds are good on youtube using a simple multimeter.

I had issues with my infotainment restarting whenever I turned my steering wheel. It has been months since I performed the fix and never saw that behavior again. It has also been a very long time since it completely locked up. Probably related.

Last edited:

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
Mine crashes weekly. All sound stops, screen goes black and after a few seconds the Honda emblem appears and it takes a few min to reboot. Its a pretty terrible head unit. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing this thing so it runs smoother, let us know
This. Get it fixed/replaced. It's not working per the design requirements and therefore should be warrantied.
Mine crashes regularly as well and has since new. The only thing I am using with it is Bluetooth for my phone and a USB stick with music plugged in under the cupholders. Typical fail is audio goes silent, screen goes blank, and menu eventually appears or unit reboots with the white Honda "H" logo but without full operability. Current song being played is always forgotten. Time zone might change. GPS loses its location. Sometimes the unit loses sync with the steering wheel controls. While in never-never land, turning off the car doesn't instantly turn off the display - it takes 20 or 30 seconds. Starting the car results in the "H" logo and a long boot time. The system functions normally after that, short of having to program the things it forgot.

I have a log of every time it happened and I have video of its behavior in several instances. I took it to the dealer to have it corrected under warranty, but they could not duplicate the problem and didn't take the time to even view the videos I linked. I will try again after logging more fails, elevating it to Honda America if I have to.

The rear-view camera always works no matter the status of the infotainment system. I think the camera video is directly connected to the display when in reverse, so this isn't something I can use to demand warranty replacement of a safety system.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine crashes regularly as well and has since new. The only thing I am using with it is Bluetooth for my phone and a USB stick with music plugged in under the cupholders. Typical fail is audio goes silent, screen goes blank, and menu eventually appears or unit reboots with the white Honda "H" logo but without full operability. Current song being played is always forgotten. Time zone might change. GPS loses its location. Sometimes the unit loses sync with the steering wheel controls. While in never-never land, turning off the car doesn't instantly turn off the display - it takes 20 or 30 seconds. Starting the car results in the "H" logo and a long boot time. The system functions normally after that, short of having to program the things it forgot.

I have a log of every time it happened and I have video of its behavior in several instances. I took it to the dealer to have it corrected under warranty, but they could not duplicate the problem and didn't take the time to even view the videos I linked. I will try again after logging more fails, elevating it to Honda America if I have to.

The rear-view camera always works no matter the status of the infotainment system. I think the camera video is directly connected to the display when in reverse, so this isn't something I can use to demand warranty replacement of a safety system.

I have the exact same problem and it happens quite often, I am at the point I want to try and swap to another head unit. I have had to drive 30-45 minutes several times not having a radio at all as it is unusable. Yesterday even pulling over, turning the car off for 2-3 minutes to force a hard reboot did not fix it. I had to do it a second time.

Of course it never happens when it goes to the dealer.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I have the exact same problem and it happens quite often, I am at the point I want to try and swap to another head unit. I have had to drive 30-45 minutes several times not having a radio at all as it is unusable. Yesterday even pulling over, turning the car off for 2-3 minutes to force a hard reboot did not fix it. I had to do it a second time.

Of course it never happens when it goes to the dealer.
I highly recommend trying to clean your grounds. Sounds like the headunut is losing power altogether and resetting.

Aside from mine being caused by turning the wheel, it is very similar to what you guys are describing. Random freezes, reboots while driving, and I hop in my car and start it and the radio says it lost power. It seems it is very sensitive to a bad ground. Made worse with the electric power steering.

Since cleaning the main ground I haven't had any issues other than the android auto bugginess since I fixed it last April

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has never said its lost power. It just locks up.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Mine has never said its lost power. It just locks up.
Meant to double quote the guy above you too.

I mean when mine was acting "normally" it would also freeze and lock up randomly with no rhyme or reason, although freezing was much rarer. It would mostly restart randomly. Took 16k miles for it to get really bad.

It's not hard to do...but i guess if you want to keep taking it to the dealer that's up to you. My dealer didn't find any issues so I had to look for it myself. They blamed it on the usb cable I was using. Electrical gremlins like this can definitely be a bad ground.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...wheel-causes-radio-to-restart-and-more.36415/

Last edited:

Seabass' Fk8

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
While I posted this as part of my other CEL issue on another thread (currently resolved) I have not had any more crashes, freezes, or reboots ever since replacing my USB-C cable and reinstalling Android Auto on my Samsung Note 10.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Today my radio hung so bad on CarPlay I had to pull the “Radio” fuse under the hood to clear it. Thinking of routing a switch to the cabin to cycle that fuse power to clear hang ups they’re happening so frequently now. Absolutely ridiculous.
Everything else in the radio, Sam, map, etc., never has a problem.

illest__x

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I highly recommend trying to clean your grounds. Sounds like the headunut is losing power altogether and resetting.

Aside from mine being caused by turning the wheel, it is very similar to what you guys are describing. Random freezes, reboots while driving, and I hop in my car and start it and the radio says it lost power. It seems it is very sensitive to a bad ground. Made worse with the electric power steering.

Since cleaning the main ground I haven't had any issues other than the android auto bugginess since I fixed it last April
I have been having this issue for several weeks if not months, can you please show me exactly where I can find this ground you are talking about.

This is driving me insane when I reverse and then out back into drive the infotainment seems like it's going to not turn back on, music shuts off, The H logo appears shortly, and then the steering wheel feels stiff to turn , almost as if car was about to shut down but doesn't.

Can you please show me a picture of where you sanded , and any possible other locations I can check.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have been having this issue for several weeks if not months, can you please show me exactly where I can find this ground you are talking about.

This is driving me insane when I reverse and then out back into drive the infotainment seems like it's going to not turn back on, music shuts off, The H logo appears shortly, and then the steering wheel feels stiff to turn , almost as if car was about to shut down but doesn't.

Can you please show me a picture of where you sanded , and any possible other locations I can check.
It's the main chassis ground where the negative battery terminal grounds to the car - follow the cable.
Sponsored