Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've had mine crash once or twice. The biggest issue I have is it's EXTREMELY touchy when it comes to the Android Auto USB connection.

What's happening to yours?

Protip: record it happening as soon as possible so you don't have to argue with the dealership.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I once had the audio screen blank. It was still playing sound (maybe via bluetooth) and I could switch to all the other screens no problem but switching back to Audio the screen was blank. After turning off the car it resumed normal operation. Haven't seen anything else.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Carplay makes mine angry sometimes. I hold power button for 30 sec and restart the system 1-2 times and it goes back to normal.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had mine crash once or twice. The biggest issue I have is it's EXTREMELY touchy when it comes to the Android Auto USB connection.
Yup that's what mine did also on the second day of playing around with the infotainment system.

Pdpawlak09

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type-R
Country flag
Mine crashes weekly. All sound stops, screen goes black and after a few seconds the Honda emblem appears and it takes a few min to reboot. Its a pretty terrible head unit. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing this thing so it runs smoother, let us know

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mine crashes weekly. All sound stops, screen goes black and after a few seconds the Honda emblem appears and it takes a few min to reboot. Its a pretty terrible head unit. If anyone has any suggestions for optimizing this thing so it runs smoother, let us know
Honda Hack has a 'RAM cleaner' that can theoretically help, but also involves jailbreaking your head unit.

I'd recommend trying to get a warranty replacement for that tbh. Weekly crashes isnt normal. If they give you trouble, remind them how you then lose access to your rear view camera for a while, an NHTSA required safety item on new models and required to be under warranty.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've had trouble with mine in the past but normally related to usb cable failure. I keep two spares in the glovebox at all times.

In isolation and without Bluetooth I've never seen it crash.

If yours is just by default glitching out and crashing it's not normal, better get it warrantied they are pricey late in the game.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Trouble free other than 2-3 hangs. If it hangs on the regular it's warranty time imo - good idea trying to get it filmed before taking it in though

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
My car play crashed and stopped working as I pulled out of the dealer lot after I signed the papers! Since then it’s been ok. Sometimes it doesn’t connect to my phone right off the bat, but a quick unplug usually fixes that.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
The head unit is just garbage. It is beyond laggy and freezes frequently.

I’ve had it lock up with CarPlay several times.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
It's not just Honda, though, My Audi MMI system crashed occasionally, for no apparent reason, or just rebooted on its own. I think these head units are getting so complex, and the car environment is so hostile for consumer electronics, that problems are inevitable. Obviously if it persists take it to the dealer, but I doubt anything will be 100% all the time.

Ah, for the days of the simple, analog AM/FM radio. Sounded crappy as hell through the one dash speaker, but hey, it never broke!

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
been a while since mine crashed but i think it hard froze requiring a restart twice in my car's lifetime.

Havent had the same behavior since, but I also did have a grounding issue a while back that I resolved myself that wreaked havoc on my electrical system.

other times Android Auto acts up i think its just crappy programming on both Honda and Google's part. Sometimes the voice prompts are missing or mistimed.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'd recommend trying to get a warranty replacement for that tbh. Weekly crashes isnt normal. If they give you trouble, remind them how you then lose access to your rear view camera for a while, an NHTSA required safety item on new models and required to be under warranty.
This. Get it fixed/replaced. It's not working per the design requirements and therefore should be warrantied.
Sponsored