Infotainment CPU usage at idle and sound quality

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
As of this past Friday, I now have the 2020 Civic Si and am pretty happy with it so far. The infotainment system, however, is still as bad as I remember it from my 2017 Civic EX-T, but in this case, it may actually be a bit worse. I have installed Honda Hack so that I can use a decent music app, and have noticed that even when the system is idle (with essentially nothing running), Honda Hack is reporting ~70% CPU utilisation. I can't for the life of me figure out what would be using up that much CPU (even seeing as the device is woefully lacking in processing power and RAM).

Has anyone else see this type of usage even when idle? Were you able to boost the performance in any way?

It's also really sad to me that there is essentially no way to avoid the terrible effects of the DSP in this car. I have seen:

1) The head unit essentially can't be replaced (even with the mediocre Dasaita units) because of the amp
2) The DSP can't be flattened in cars with the "premium" audio (10-speaker & sub) like the Si
3) The sub really doesn't get much sent to it based on the ~32 KHz cutoff
4) Any effects of using an equaliser are countered by the DSP, so that doesn't help

Are there any options at all to get better sound here without having to essentially rip out all of the stock audio components?

(1) Honda Hack + Google services = High CPU usage & slow performance.

REMOVE Google Services...
If you want to install apps, download them to your phone, and then EXPORT them to a USB stick, and install the app in the car from the USB stick

==============================

(2) Upgrade the CENTER speaker
A better quality, LESS SENSITIVE center speaker, with acoustic backing, will greatly improve the apparent soundscape in the car.
As a temporary measure, just to get an idea of the improvement, just disconnect the center speaker.
Pop out VERY easily with care and a plastic pry tool.
Turn up the volume a little to compensate, and you will hear an enormous difference.

Note: You do need a center speaker for Nav & beep sounds, but it does not have to be so loud (Hence less sensitive speaker), and a better speaker with acoustic padding will sound better than the harsh, over dominant, tinny sound from the Honda center speaker.

Plenty of post on this forum about replacing the center speaker.

Upgrade the CENTER speaker

Sponsored

Last edited:

carl4

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I changed the skin in my 2019 CTR and the responsiveness increased drastically. Has a more traditional Android look now. Can't recall the key presses I used, but I recall trying it in my 2018 Si and not seeing much difference.
What skin did you change it to?

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
(1) Honda Hack + Google services = High CPU usage & slow performance.

Upgrade the CENTER speaker
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't have Google Services as I have only side-loaded APKs from APKPure and other sites (nothing downloaded via my Google Account). As for the centre speaker, I will give that a try if I can't get anywhere with ViPER4Android.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What skin did you change it to?
Instead of the "standard" one, just changing it to the more Android-esque skin helped in my case:

(the one with the nature background)

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
is it theoretically possible to install a higher version of androids on these systems via jailbreaking(idk the term for android devices)?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
is it theoretically possible to install a higher version of androids on these systems via jailbreaking(idk the term for android devices)?
No you can't because your car ecu will be communicating with the infotainment. If Honda issues an update you can use it. You can't put custom ROMs in this system

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Along with what saiko21 said, there are some other reasons that we can't update to a non-archaic version of Android. One of which is that we don't have access to the recovery for this ROM (which is needed to install a new OS), and another is that the hardware is so inadequate that it could potential result in worse performance.

Rennie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Mazda Miata Club
Country flag
Mine sounded pretty thin for the first 500 miles. Then it started breaking in slowly. I’d leave everything for a couple of thousand miles, then set flat and go from there.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Mine sounded pretty thin for the first 500 miles. Then it started breaking in slowly. I’d leave everything for a couple of thousand miles, then set flat and go from there.
One option that comes to mind, that few are talking abo
Along with what saiko21 said, there are some other reasons that we can't update to a non-archaic version of Android. One of which is that we don't have access to the recovery for this ROM (which is needed to install a new OS), and another is that the hardware is so inadequate that it could potential result in worse performance.
You would also loose compatibility with the older Ipods ( Like the 6 Gen Ipod) if you update the OS -- and that would be a total disaster !! :hide:

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
The cpu is constantly saving XM radio because it can be rewound and fast forwarded up to current. Not sure if thats it or not but...
Sponsored