Info on 2016 Civic's Hankook Kinergy GT / Firestone FT140 tires

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I have the DWS 06 on my '14 BMW and love them.

I'm thinking about changing the OEM Conti Procontact TX on my '16 Touring Coupe. They're not horrible, but they're far, far from great.
Sponsored

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
I have the DWS 06 on my '14 BMW and love them.

I'm thinking about changing the OEM Conti Procontact TX on my '16 Touring Coupe. They're not horrible, but they're far, far from great.
Within the next two weeks I am putting Michelin Premiere A/S on my car. Tire rack reviews are outstanding - every time we have weather...like we have today, I slide and I can feel my ABS or whatever it is, kicking in. I hate it and I hate the Firestones. Actually excited about getting new tires...:drive: If you aren't getting tires immediately, I would be happy to let you know how the Michelin's are if you are considering other options.

bigbadboss101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB LX CVT
Late to the discussion here. Got a 2017 Civic HB LX. Right now we have XIce3 on it. The Kinergy GT reviews on Tire Rack doesn't look great. Will probably look for a set of Premier A/S, Cinturato, or Pure Contact. Whichever has the best deal on when it's time to remove the winters.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
Late to the discussion here. Got a 2017 Civic HB LX. Right now we have XIce3 on it. The Kinergy GT reviews on Tire Rack doesn't look great. Will probably look for a set of Premier A/S, Cinturato, or Pure Contact. Whichever has the best deal on when it's time to remove the winters.
I have Premier A/S and I LOVE them. Love them. So glad I got rid of the Firestone. I have used them in winter weather and they have done great. I haven't had any rainy days so I don't know what they are like on wet roads.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
The 16s are light on their feet. I love my LX cause it's always ready to bolt. Gotta be the 16s. IT has torque even during takeoffs, these 16s are the key to the 1.5 turbo or maybe they just work better with the CVT suspension.

Last edited:

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I have Premier A/S and I LOVE them. Love them. So glad I got rid of the Firestone. I have used them in winter weather and they have done great. I haven't had any rainy days so I don't know what they are like on wet roads.
I got the Hangooks (don't be alarmed, this is how it is pronounced) and love them in the dry which it has been mostly this early in the summer. Our summers last until November so these Gooks will get a great workout.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
just replaced the hard,loud,crappy firestone ft140's with Goodyear Eagle sports. I get why Honda chose the OEM tires; they're gas mileage tires. Not performance tires. I went up one size on the new eagle sports, from 215/55/16 to 225/55/16. the eagle sports are a full inch wider(treadwidth)than the oem tires.The new eagle sport tire is a construction redesign. read about it online.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO it is also because Honda got a better price on these tire

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
Good Thread...

I have just over 55,000 miles on my stock Firestones that have been rotated every 10k or so. The tread depth looks like I'd be able to get another 15,000 - 20,000 miles out of them, but who really knows. They are getting loose on wet roads now more than they used to (which was already too much to my liking before). Also I have one tire that has a worn out belt and is making the *thump thump* noise, so these shoes are not going to be on my car much longer. Good riddance.

I had very good luck with the Pirelli p7 on my previous '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Discount Tire usually has some great deals on them. For a/s tires, they were very good to excellent. Now that a few of you have had the newer rubber for some miles, what do you think of your purchases?

Thanks!

Rumina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Civic EX, '18 Hyundai Elantra Value
Country flag
I just had my 30k maintenance done on my '17 Civic EX and was told my stock tires are down to 4/32 and will need to be replaced soon. I'm surprised, esp as I have had maintenance done every time the light comes on (so ~10k) and bought the car in August of last year. I am hydroplaning often in the rain, so they probably do need replacement ASAP. I see most recommended around here seems to be the Michelin Premier A/S, yet Tire Rack is recommending the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady and a couple other brands I have never heard of (nothing I have seen listed here). Worried about impacting my gas mileage and ending up with a tire I won't like (haven't been a fan of the stock, so would rather not get Firestones again).

Long story short, anyone have feedback on WeatherReady tires on this car? (the Tire Rack reviews look good, but aren't specific to the 10th gen Civic)

Last edited:

Rumina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Second question. How do the premiers handle in the rain? We get about 48 inches of rain here in a year on average, which is why I am getting theses recs from Tire Rack.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Michelin Defender are better than Premier. Softer rubber and quieter also. They are excellent in the rain

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Michelin Defender are better than Premier. Softer rubber and quieter also. They are excellent in the rain

Michelin Premier or Defender ? Some answer here ;

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Premier Vs Defender

I always had Michelin Defender on my previous car. When I hear about Premier here on the forum, I read some study about them and found their overall quality are better than the Defender for me.

Last edited:

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
Second question. How do the premiers handle in the rain? We get about 48 inches of rain here in a year on average, which is why I am getting theses recs from Tire Rack.
I did a write up on another thread specific to the tire options for our Civic X. (Full link address https://www.civicx.com/threads/whats-your-favorite-all-season-tire-brand.22770/page-2#post-495100). If you read down that thread you'll see my followup as well.

The tires I just got are the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. Like TN, central NC gets a LOT of rain. I've been very happy so far with this tire with just over 1,000 miles on them. My gas mileage has come back up now to where it was since I'm driving like the way I used to before getting these better tires. For the money, the quality and reputation of Cooper can't be beat. Just my 2c :)

Rumina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a quick FYI: I called Firestone because Honda and I could not find mileage ratings on the stock FT140s. Firestone informed me that Firestone stock tires have no mile guarantee because once the tire leaves their hands they can't say how long it will last. I inquired if I buy Firestones to replace these, will they have a warranty on the miles and the answer is: No. Not unless you get them direct from Firestone. Buy from anywhere else and you lose the mileage warranty.

So there ya go. I'll be getting myself some Michelin's ASAP it seems (I bought a tread gauge and all four tires are indeed evenly worn to a 4).
Sponsored