Info on 2016 Civic's Hankook Kinergy GT / Firestone FT140 tires

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I read through the threads but still can't figure out whether or not I should replace my Firestone FT140 with 5,700 miles on them since Colorado weather can be a little tricky. Do you think they will be good enough for snow through the winter? or should I just replace them now.... Thanks
I live in Toronto and my impression is we get a lot less snow than Colorado. I got a dedicated set of winter tires because I didn't want to chance a winter with the Firestone FT140s.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic EX, 2016 Honda EX-TL Rallye Red
Country flag
I live in Toronto and my impression is we get a lot less snow than Colorado. I got a dedicated set of winter tires because I didn't want to chance a winter with the Firestone FT140s.
Thanks Dan 198- I am going to get new tires. I will regret that I didn't if I have trouble this winter. Have a great day! :)

fung88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dan 198- I am going to get new tires. I will regret that I didn't if I have trouble this winter. Have a great day! :)
I tested out the firestones in the snow few days ago.. they are not bad on flats with 2-3inches of snow/slush but i definately do not recommend going uphill with them, unless you have a few guys to help push you up!

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I tested out the firestones in the snow few days ago.. they are not bad on flats with 2-3inches of snow/slush but i definately do not recommend going uphill with them, unless you have a few guys to help push you up!
Haha

I got the chance to use my Blizzak WS80 over the last 2 weekends because of the snow storms we've had. Conditions ranged from snow, wet snow, to ice covered roads. At the intersection of my street and the main road where the plows had come by, the snowbank was about 1.5 ft high and about 4 feet across and the car had no issue going through it from stop.

I'm glad to have ditched the Firestones and went with a dedicated set of winter tires.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you! I managed to get around in the soft stuff on flat roads, but you are right, hills are a problem. I drove down into a driveway thinking I would be able to drive out....HA! Tires were spinning. I had to back up to the flat and get a running start- and I made it. Thankfully. I am going to get a set of Michelin all season.....I have been procrastinating.

fung88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I managed to get around in the soft stuff on flat roads, but you are right, hills are a problem. I drove down into a driveway thinking I would be able to drive out....HA! Tires were spinning. I had to back up to the flat and get a running start- and I made it. Thankfully. I am going to get a set of Michelin all season.....I have been procrastinating.
Nice, yea I'm planning to pick up a set of continental DWS before next winter comes!!

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
I picked up my DWS06 set already, so of course I'm not going to see any snow this year.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice, yea I'm planning to pick up a set of continental DWS before next winter comes!!
I just looked at these tires on tire rack. They are about 20.00 less per tire than the Michelin's and the reviews are very similar. I am going to consider these. Thank you

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just looked at these tires on tire rack. They are about 20.00 less per tire than the Michelin's and the reviews are very similar. I am going to consider these. Thank you
Read more reviews. Going to stick with Michelin.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Which Michelins exactly? I tried to price a set of Michelin all seasons a friend recommended (afraid I don't remember which at the moment) just to find they don't actually make them in 215/50R17.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which Michelins exactly? I tried to price a set of Michelin all seasons a friend recommended (afraid I don't remember which at the moment) just to find they don't actually make them in 215/50R17.
Michelin Premier a/s. Tire rack has them for 153.45 ea. Reviews are outstanding and very consistent in terms of happy reviewers.

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haha

I got the chance to use my Blizzak WS80 over the last 2 weekends because of the snow storms we've had. Conditions ranged from snow, wet snow, to ice covered roads. At the intersection of my street and the main road where the plows had come by, the snowbank was about 1.5 ft high and about 4 feet across and the car had no issue going through it from stop.

I'm glad to have ditched the Firestones and went with a dedicated set of winter tires.
I don't need winter tires, a/s will be fine. But the Firestones have to go.

fung88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Vehicle Showcase
i had 2 sets of dws and tried the michilen pilot sport a/s afterwards.. THe dws i find handles better in rain however the wear on them arent that great. id say 40000-50000km. I do like the pilots are quieter and feels more stable to the ground then the dws!

KimO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i had 2 sets of dws and tried the michilen pilot sport a/s afterwards.. THe dws i find handles better in rain however the wear on them arent that great. id say 40000-50000km. I do like the pilots are quieter and feels more stable to the ground then the dws!
The Michelin Pilot a/s doesn't have great reviews. Not sure why, I didn't read them.....regarding DSW, some of the reviewers said they did not wear well.
Sponsored

Last edited: