Info on 2016 Civic's Hankook Kinergy GT / Firestone FT140 tires

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
http://hondanews.com/channels/civic/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-chassis

All Civic Sedan models come with either Hankook Kinergy GT (Civic LX) or Firestone FT140 (EX and above) tires as standard equipment. Developed cooperatively with Honda engineers and the tire companies, despite being wider, the tires help reduce rolling resistance by 10-percent while also helping to reduce noise and vibration, improving both fuel efficiency and ride quality in the process. The tires contribute to the Civic's best-in-class rolling resistance performance. They also help reduce unsprung weight by 6.6 pounds, allowing the engineers greater control of suspension tuning, which further improves ride and handling characteristics.
Sponsored

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
http://hondanews.com/channels/civic/releases/2016-honda-civic-sedan-press-kit-chassis

All Civic Sedan models come with either Hankook Kinergy GT (Civic LX) or Firestone FT140 (EX and above) tires as standard equipment. Developed cooperatively with Honda engineers and the tire companies, despite being wider, the tires help reduce rolling resistance by 10-percent while also helping to reduce noise and vibration, improving both fuel efficiency and ride quality in the process. The tires contribute to the Civic's best-in-class rolling resistance performance. They also help reduce unsprung weight by 6.6 pounds, allowing the engineers greater control of suspension tuning, which further improves ride and handling characteristics.
Good find. Is that 6.6 pounds per corner or total? Either way that's great but 6.6 lbs per corner would be incredible!

Reducing unsprung weight isn't always easy but such a good way to improve handling, steering feel, braking and acceleration all at once.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
I don't think it's 6.6 pounds per tire. The 17" Firestone FT140 only weighs 22 pounds so no way they meant 6.6 pounds per tire saved.

FT140 specs

Honda Civic 10th gen Info on 2016 Civic's Hankook Kinergy GT /  Firestone FT140 tires Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 3.54.25 PM

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
"tire companies, despite being wider, the tires help reduce rolling resistance by 10-percent"

Interesting that they were able to do this. Usually wider = more resistance. Must have to do with rubber compound?

iamjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Well we know they grip like crap based on the slalom/braking/skid pad numbers.
Besides efficiency, the Firestone tires don't sound like they have much that's good about them :(

According to the C&D review, they mostly squeal and only manage 0.82g skidpad and 178 ft stopping from 70mph. Both are worst than the outgoing model. They better stick some real rubber on the Si.

They were mostly squealing during testing. The Civic’s 0.82-g performance on our skidpad trailed the last Civic sedan we tested in 2014. Braking was also off the pace, the car taking 178 feet to stop from 70 mph, 13 feet more than the old model. We blame the Civic’s all-season Firestones, sized at 215/50R-17, for letting down the improved chassis. With slightly more sidewall than the old model’s 45-series tires, it’s a sure bet that this rubber was selected for reasons besides its ability to grip the road, such as ride comfort and low rolling resistance.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
ah well... would have liked to see them put on something like the Michelin Primacy HP tires from the Scion FR-S. Those were chosen for the FR-S because they're not too wide and provide low rolling resistance but still gives you some performance.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
ah well... would have liked to see them put on something like the Michelin Primacy HP tires from the Scion FR-S. Those were chosen for the FR-S because they're not too wide and provide low rolling resistance but still gives you some performance.
Let's be honest, OE tires are usually junk and if someone wanted decent tires, you'd have to switch them out. IN MY OPINION, I'd get Michelin Premier A/S for a good well rounded all season, and if that's not enough, get dedicated winters and summers.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Let's be honest, OE tires are usually junk and if someone wanted decent tires, you'd have to switch them out. IN MY OPINION, I'd get Michelin Premier A/S for a good well rounded all season, and if that's not enough, get dedicated winters and summers.
Agree 100%. I don't buy a car based on tires as they are something that is going to need replacement no matter what. Chances are we should get some good wear out of them and then you can replace them with w/e. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my Accord and they have been great, but I might want something with longer wear on the civic.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Agree 100%. I don't buy a car based on tires as they are something that is going to need replacement no matter what. Chances are we should get some good wear out of them and then you can replace them with w/e. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my Accord and they have been great, but I might want something with longer wear on the civic.
Not that I care that much about MPG personally but I'm curious to see how much MPG difference there'll be once the factory tires are swapped out. I'll be sure to record and post up once I get mine. Might even swap out the tires immediately if they're really terrible.

drakenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Matrix XRS
Besides efficiency, the Firestone tires don't sound like they have much that's good about them :(

According to the C&D review, they mostly squeal and only manage 0.82g skidpad and 178 ft stopping from 70mph. Both are worst than the outgoing model. They better stick some real rubber on the Si.

That is disappointing considering changes made to the chassis. Lower, wider, thicker sway bars, and a multilink rear suspension will make for a potentially great platform.

I have no doubt that the Si and CTR will be better, though it is unfortunate for those that want more grip on their non-Si/CTR models.

I have a feeling that Si models will end up with something like 300-400TW UHP all seasons with the option of getting summer tires. The CTR will probably get EP summer tires at around 200TW. Just a wild guess on my part.

Last edited:

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
That is disappointing considering changes made to the chassis. Lower, wider, thicker sway bars, and a multilink rear suspension will make for a potentially great platform.

I have no doubt that the Si and CTR will be better, though it is unfortunate for those that want more grip on their non-Si/CTR models.

I have a feeling that Si models will end up with something like 300-400TW UHP all seasons with the option of getting summer tires. The CTR will probably get EP summer tires at around 200TW. Just a wild guess on my part.
I think they should have offered a more performance oriented summer tire option for the standard Civic models too. Could have easily taken off 0.1-0.2 from 0-60 times and shortened braking distance. The acceleration test videos all show traction control getting lit up no matter if the car was in sport more or not. That shouldn't be happening on a 174hp car if it had proper tired.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not that I care that much about MPG personally but I'm curious to see how much MPG difference there'll be once the factory tires are swapped out. I'll be sure to record and post up once I get mine. Might even swap out the tires immediately if they're really terrible.
I will be taking delivery of my WOP Touring next week. It will be delivered with Michelin X-Ice on steel rims. I'll keep an eye on mileage. I'm not one that's anal about mileage and will step on it occasionally. Will report anything unusual.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
The continental that came on my 2012 and 2014 Si are great tires, honda had to cut cost some where with the 10th gen and tires are where its at

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
The continental that came on my 2012 and 2014 Si are great tires, honda had to cut cost some where with the 10th gen and tires are where its at
The 10th gen Si is sure to feature some good performance tires too.
Sponsored