Country flag

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yup, they were like this for the US 9th gens too starting in 2014. TPMS is integrated in the ABS system and monitors rotation speeds/distance for discrepancies. So wheel swaps are far easier now.

gongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sierra, 2016 Civic LX, 2003 Volvo S60, 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan
Vehicle Showcase
According to my manual the Canadian models don't have this feature

OP
OP
jdewd250

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
According to my manual the Canadian models don't have this feature
So you still have the tmps inside the wheels?

I would have thought they would have made something like that the same.

I wonder why.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It's curious that DRL, a Canadian safety requirement, has somehow made a safety case for Honda to include it in US market cars, but TPMS, a US safety requirement, has not made a safety case for Honda to include it in Canadian market cars. My guess is that there is data that demonstrates a safety benefit from DRL and no data demonstrating a similar benefit from TPMS.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
NO TPMS for Canadian vehicles, end of story. If your tire goes flat, well shit ,it's time to change it out for the spare and you'll get no indication from the dash.

The difference between DRLs and TPMS though, is that DRL's affect other users on the road by allowing them to see you easier. TPMS only affects your vehicle, your behavior and 'technically' has no effect on others. Equivalent to being forced to have liability insurance on the road due to potential damage to third parties, but collision coverage being optional because it only affects you.

gongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Sierra, 2016 Civic LX, 2003 Volvo S60, 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan
Vehicle Showcase
You'd think it'd be on the Canadian cars, all the parts are there, you'd think it'd just be software or something

Negative3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Are you sure we canucks dont have it? Seems odd. All other manufacturers have them and my previous 2011 CR-V had them too......

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Required by law in the US. But I also wasn't aware of Honda's approach using the ABS. Thanks for sharing.

nielboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 BMW 435i X-Drive
Country flag
I've combed over both the digital manual & hard copy version & it certainly does appear that Canadian models don't have the TPMS feature.

It's really though considering that most entry level vehicles have it nowadays in Canada....but then again the Touring model doesn't even have a garage door opener "Homelink" button. That's something I just took for granted when we bought our 2016 Touring.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
It's curious that DRL, a Canadian safety requirement, has somehow made a safety case for Honda to include it in US market cars, but TPMS, a US safety requirement, has not made a safety case for Honda to include it in Canadian market cars. My guess is that there is data that demonstrates a safety benefit from DRL and no data demonstrating a similar benefit from TPMS.
In the justification for this, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimated 119-121 fatalities prevents and 8,373-8,568 injuries prevented or reduced in severity each year. Those aren't excessively huge numbers where it may have been decided from Canada's side of things that it wasn't enough to justify the expense.

Also in the same report, it was estimated that the average cost per vehicle to meet the standards would be from $48.44 to $69.89, totaling $823-$1,188 million per year.

Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/tpmsfinalrule.6/tpmsfinalrule.6.html#II

Averaging those numbers, that is about a billion dollars spent to save 120 lives (plus the reduction in injuries), a cost of roughly $8 million dollars per life saved. It's tough to put dollars and cents on these things, but when you compare it with other safety features that are mandated:

Seat Belts: 12,174 lives saved (2012)

Source: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811851.pdf

I can't find statistics on how much it costs manufacturers to install seat belts in a vehicle. If it's a similar cost to the TPMS system (around $1 billion a year total), that's a cost of $82,000 per life saved. Significantly more manageable.

Front Air Bags: 2,213 lives saved (2012)

Same source as seat belts.

Cost of air bags is significantly higher than any of the other safety features we've discussed, but also, saves a lot more lives than TPMS. If it was roughly $1,000 (and the cost estimates vary wildly) to install the required frontal airbags per vehicle, with 17 million light vehicles produced for sale in the US each year (from the source related to TPMS), that's a cost per life saved similar to the TPMS system, a little under $8 million dollars per.

Interesting to think about it this way, with dollars and cents on lives, but it is a way to really talk about the relative value of different regulations. The huge difference between air bags, and, say, tire pressure, is that we, as responsible car owners, have the means to mitigate the necessity for a TPMS system, by regularly checking the inflation of our tires (some of us do this out of obsession for fuel economy anyway). Maybe Canadian authorities feel that that personal responsibility takes away from the manufacturer responsibility for helping to enforce this.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Also in the same report, it was estimated that the average cost per vehicle to meet the standards would be from $48.44 to $69.89
With the newer indirect TPMS, and ignoring the NRE (non-recurring engineering) costs, the present cost per vehicle has to be pretty close to $0 since it's almost completely a software piggyback on ABS/VSA.

And part of the point of my original post was the DRL, mandated in Canada but not the US, is being voluntarily included in US cars by Honda. TPMS, mandated in the US but not Canada, is being omitted from Canadian cars by Honda. Wondering how Honda made those seemingly inconsistent decisions.

sniper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but came across the TPMS being indirect somewhere else and found this thread too. I don't understand why we don't have it in Canada - it costs nothing since it's indirect... I wonder if there's a way to enable this through the infotainment diagnostic screen.
Sponsored