Increasing Grip Without Lowering!

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Hi all, don’t really know what category to put this under so I’m just starting it as a new topic!

So, I don’t do any tracking. I only do spirited driving through canyons on occasion and dropping the vehicle would make getting into my driveway more annoying than it already is.

What I have already done to increase grip:

-RV6 rear sway bar
-TE37 18x9.5 +44
-PS4S 265/35/18
-Verus diffuser (increased rear grip)
-Small weight savings in other areas

What I have considered:

-Tires in 275/35/18 (stickier + wider)
-Rear motor mount
-Spoon chassis washers
-Racebred front splitter
-Replacing center or entire wing
-Removing more weight

What I’d like is everyone’s input on what are some good options and opinions on parts to try without lowering the vehicle. Can’t wait to hear from everyone and I’ll update the list with your suggestions/recommendations!

List of recommendations:

-Rear sway bar and end links
-Wider + sticker tires
-Whiteline anti lift kit
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
E404

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Spoon Lowering springs :innocent:
I've ran the thought of lowering through my mind a lot... I mean sleepless nights looking into it and talking myself out of it! Just trying to find a way to increase the grip without dropping/lowering the vehicle.

PM&M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I noticed sways bars weren't listed so I'd throw that suggestion in.

Sort of a niche part but I've been looking into the Whiteline anti-lift kit recently as well. It sounds like it's an overlooked part despite the benefits it has of aiding in cornering grip. Maybe it's something worth looking into for your application.

Part #: KCA467

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Following an upgraded Rear Sway Bar with upgraded End Links, Whiteline's Anti Lift Kit is really high on our recommended list of suspension modifications. We have it on our Si and FK8, it's helped with high speed straight line and cornering stability, steering response, and added much needed weighted feel to the electronic steering that was pretty vague otherwise. H
ere's a recent post we made on Instagram with pictures and details:

You can find it on our website here: https://unity-performance.com/products/whiteline-anti-lift-kit

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Throw out the garbage continentals and put quality rubber. Boom, all grip issues fixed.

245/30ZR-20 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S are my go too, i run them on the track and road. Car has a lot more HP than stock, no issues (don't run them when it's cold!!!).

OP
OP
E404

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
I noticed sways bars weren't listed so I'd throw that suggestion in.

Sort of a niche part but I've been looking into the Whiteline anti-lift kit recently as well. It sounds like it's an overlooked part despite the benefits it has of aiding in cornering grip. Maybe it's something worth looking into for your application.

Part #: KCA467
Got rear sway bar but not front, and I'll add the anti lift!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Given how you say your are driving it, I doubt you are reaching the limits of the suspension system. But you are reaching the limits of the tires. Wider, stickier, more expensive, and less durable tires will get you more grip.

OP
OP
E404

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Given how you say your are driving it, I doubt you are reaching the limits of the suspension system. But you are reaching the limits of the tires. Wider, stickier, more expensive, and less durable tires will get you more grip.
That’s what my thought is, I think I’ll kick the PS4S to the curb for some RT660 in 275/35 18 come summer time.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
That’s what my thought is, I think I’ll kick the PS4S to the curb for some RT660 in 275/35 18 come summer time.
Couple things to note- but may not be avoidable-

What's the weather like where you're at? Summer tires do not have their maximum traction in anything under 70F.

If the road itself isn't that good, there's only so much a good tire will do. PS4S is an exceptionally good tire already. You would see an increase in grip upgrading to Sport Cup 2 but those are even more picky with temperature than normal summer tires.

Wider tires will increase your straight acceleration grip but they a negative impact on the steering feel of the car(RWD cars have wider rear tires than fronts for a reason, not a luxury we have with a FWD car).

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, almost any suspension mods you do including lowering the car will make it worse, not better. Very experienced racing teams have routinely commented that it takes a TON of work dialing things in on the Type R before any improvement is achieved due to how fantastic the stock setup is.

OP
OP
E404

E404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' SGP FK8
Country flag
Couple things to note- but may not be avoidable-

What's the weather like where you're at? Summer tires do not have their maximum traction in anything under 70F.

If the road itself isn't that good, there's only so much a good tire will do. PS4S is an exceptionally good tire already. You would see an increase in grip upgrading to Sport Cup 2 but those are even more picky with temperature than normal summer tires.

Wider tires will increase your straight acceleration grip but they a negative impact on the steering feel of the car(RWD cars have wider rear tires than fronts for a reason, not a luxury we have with a FWD car).

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, almost any suspension mods you do including lowering the car will make it worse, not better. Very experienced racing teams have routinely commented that it takes a TON of work dialing things in on the Type R before any improvement is achieved due to how fantastic the stock setup is.
I live in SoCal and don’t have time/money to track so I use the near by canyons which one was slurry sealed about 6 months ago.

I completely agree with you on the tire situation, though I’ve seen people run a non square setup (larger front) and decrease their lap times. Though I’m not tracking, I’d assume their lower lap times would come from increased cornering + straight grip.

I’m not trying to argue in anyway. Just trying to better educate myself and hopefully others in the mean time!