In CA: possible to take new car off the lot WITHOUT a front license plate?

aymehr

Ari
First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
My dealer already had the bracket installed on my front bumper, but my other car didn't. I bought the car new, and since 3 years ago I only got one ticket in Hollywood when the car was parked on the street. Otherwise never had any issues. My sister also got a ticket for no front plate, and hers was also in Hollywood.

Also most luxury brands do no install the front brackets. I know my buddy's 4Runner also didn't have it when he bought it new.
Sponsored

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Depends on the dealer. My dealer didn't care and front plates are mandatory. They just don't want to be liable for your actions.

Ask them. If they say no. Tell them to duct tape the bracket to the front bumper so you're still legal. If they still won't, buy from another dealer?

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
The dealer I purchased from asked me if I wanted the mount left off. It was just across the border in a state that doesn't require them though. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After reading half of this I am glad I live in a state that only has rear plates.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends on the dealer. My dealer didn't care and front plates are mandatory. They just don't want to be liable for your actions.

Ask them. If they say no. Tell them to duct tape the bracket to the front bumper so you're still legal. If they still won't, buy from another dealer?
Henceforth known as the ā€˜duct tapeā€™ method. ?

2020cgCIVIC

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic
Country flag
Anyone have pics of said plugs? I removed my plate and bracket an Iā€™m left with self tapped holes in the bumper

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Hey, gang! Iā€™m well aware of CAā€™s front plate law. BUT, if you buy a new car from a dealership, can you request they DO NOT attach the front plate?

TY!
Hi there--my dealer requested that I sign a document stating that I knew that it was the law, yet I did not want the front license plate installed on the car. I would recommend that you make sure that the plate is not put on as you are going through the purchasing process.
Sponsored