First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, all! Really appreciate the help and advice! Forgot to mention I did replace the tires prior to the job change.....put on Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06's (same size as stock). Based on your feedback, thinking that's probably NOT helping the ride?
I have the same tires as you and my car feels so much better on the road vs stock but my rims are 18 inch
Sponsored

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you want smoother ride dont even consider sport springs or coilovers lol... my best guess is to leave stock spring on and go with 215/55/16 tires for higher sidewall...

OP
OP

Wheels3022

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's advice! This definitely helped......stay safe, y'all.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
my best guess is to leave stock spring on and go with 215/55/16 tires for higher sidewall...
I have that from the stock setup on my EX Sedan and have driven from New Brunswick (Canada) to Boston and not had any complaints. The taller sidewall likely helps a great deal. So this is where my vote goes for those longer runs when you want a little more compliance.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I have that from the stock setup on my EX Sedan and have driven from New Brunswick (Canada) to Boston and not had any complaints. The taller sidewall likely helps a great deal. So this is where my vote goes for those longer runs when you want a little more compliance.
Yup. I switched from my winter 215/55-16 wheels to the stock 235/40-18 a couple weeks ago, and the harsher ride of the stock setup is noticeable. The stock setup doesn't feel as squidgy in turns, but that's the only benefit in daily driving. I hope my next summer tires are a little quieter, too.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stock setup doesn't feel as squidgy in turns, but that's the only benefit in daily driving. I hope my next summer tires are a little quieter, too.
I think 17" with the Continental DWS-06 would make for the overall best compromise of handling, comfort and noise. The reviews on the DWS-06 indicate that they have a more compliant sidewall without giving up handling and responsiveness. The overall review of them being that they are close to the Michelins in this class but definitely better than the Pirellis for handling and steering response.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I think 17" with the Continental DWS-06 would make for the overall best compromise of handling, comfort and noise. The reviews on the DWS-06 indicate that they have a more compliant sidewall without giving up handling and responsiveness. The overall review of them being that they are close to the Michelins in this class but definitely better than the Pirellis for handling and steering response.
Yeah, I think I'd go with 17s if I wanted a third set of wheels. Seems like a waste of the OEM 18s, though, since they've proven to be pretty sturdy (knock on wood!). But at least Tire Rack lists a bunch of 17s in 8" and 8.5" widths whereas they don't show any 16s.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I think I'd go with 17s if I wanted a third set of wheels.
I am strongly considering 17" rims when it is time to get new "all seasons" for the first time (on this car) and then move the factory 16" aluminums over to be for the winters and then sell the steel rims.
Sponsored