Wheels3022

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Hey, all! I drive a 2018 Sport with MT, tuned with Hondata +9, upgraded clutch, and PRL downpipe/frontpipe. Absolutely love the car, but recently took a job requiring long highway miles.....what is the best suspension mod to provide more comfort on the long haul without sacrificing too much performance? Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Sponsored

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Hey, all! I drive a 2018 Sport with MT, tuned with Hondata +9, upgraded clutch, and PRL downpipe/frontpipe. Absolutely love the car, but recently took a job requiring long highway miles.....what is the best suspension mod to provide more comfort on the long haul without sacrificing too much performance? Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Springs or coil overs

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to disagree, most springs and coilovers are going to make it a rougher ride do to their spring rate. I would say go with some better tires especially if you're still on the stock tires.
Totally agree. Maybe switch from the stock 235/40's to a 45 profile (225/45) softer riding touring tire (Pirelli Cinturato P7, for example). All other suspension mods will mostly improve handling at the cost of a firmer ride.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
smaller wheels so as to allow for taller tire sidewalls, short of that your gonna need like Air Ride (which I don't even know if a kit is available for these cars) to get smoother then stock.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I felt like the stock springs were nice as hell for comfort lol, surprised you want more comfort. You would need to go smaller wheel size and bigger sidewalk tire. Maybe a 16/17in wheel

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
I would have to disagree, most springs and coilovers are going to make it a rougher ride do to their spring rate. I would say go with some better tires especially if you're still on the stock tires.
actually, you're right lmfao. BUT, also paired with the correct suspension n such it makes it a much better ride when done correctly. I have stock suspension but have 255/35/18s on my car right now and it significantly improved the ride

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Totally agree. Maybe switch from the stock 235/40's to a 45 profile (225/45) softer riding touring tire (Pirelli Cinturato P7, for example).
To give OP an idea what you mean:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/40-18 3.7in 12.7in 25.4in 79.8in 794 0.0%
225/45-18 4.0in 13.0in 26.0in 81.6in 777 2.2%
235/45-17 4.2in 12.7in 25.3in 79.6in 796 -0.3%

Going to larger sidewall should help with the ride, though I didn't really notice a benefit going from 18s on my civic to 17s. Maybe cause my 17" OZs are so much lighter than the stock 18s - I feel like that may actually hurt your ride.

OP
OP

Wheels3022

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Thanks, all! Really appreciate the help and advice! Forgot to mention I did replace the tires prior to the job change.....put on Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06's (same size as stock). Based on your feedback, thinking that's probably NOT helping the ride?

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Thanks, all! Really appreciate the help and advice! Forgot to mention I did replace the tires prior to the job change.....put on Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06's (same size as stock). Based on your feedback, thinking that's probably NOT helping the ride?
correct. its the same exact size as stock. get something a little bit bigger next time you swap tires

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I felt like the stock springs were nice as hell for comfort lol, surprised you want more comfort. You would need to go smaller wheel size and bigger sidewalk tire. Maybe a 16/17in wheel
Meetoo. I don't know if the sedan Sport has any different suspension, but I would not change my springs to make it any more comfortable. I can drive it forever on long highway trips. Unless it's a highway with a lot of big potholes.... then maybe taller sidewalls would take it better.

OP
OP

Wheels3022

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport MT
Country flag
Yeah, driving in NE Missouri.....once you get north of KC, road conditions degrade pretty quickly. Plus I should have mentioned, I'm a big guy and a little older than most (250 lbs, soon to be 57 yrs old)....that probably doesn't help, either! Definitely gonna check out the tire angle, but also gonna check into air components.

How 'bout bushings? Any experience or feedback replacing those? Hearing there are 4 or 5 in the system.....would that just stiffen it up more (like coilovers)?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you're running long commutes with just you in the car (ie lightly loaded) at moderate speed (under 80) try keeping tires inflated at the low end, even 1-2 psi low, of spec. You might lose 1-2 mpg but comfort should improve. BUT, beware of potholes!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Stock suspension with 16" wheels and corresponding tires, plus a good balance n' alignment.
Sponsored