Important metrics to monitor in Civic SI?

cpthangover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI 2020
Country flag
Model: Civic SI 2020
Stock parts besides KTuner

Sorry for being verbose, I want to show that I have put some effort forth in researching prior to posting.

Hello everyone! I recently bought a KTuner with the TSP stage 1 map. Installed everything and the car feels tremendously better, absolutely love it. I am also super paranoid. The 2020 is new and I imagine a replacement engine isn't cheap. I read through the reliability survey before purchasing and that made me feel much better, but I still want to actively monitor the car and revert to stock at the first sign of anything suspicious.

I have been reading up, but I am still very new to all of this, the KTuner was a purchase as much about learning as it was performance.

1. What are some important metrics to look that might indicate an issue? I went on a 6 minute sprint and found that I had a knock count around 4 (4 misfires if I understand correctly?) which is totally normal, and that I should be monitoring my K Con, or knock control. That should be around .49, but anything under .9 is safe. For my 6 minute sprint, I am sitting at .59. Is my understanding above correct?

2. I also am watching the AFR, which is supposed to be around 14.7. How much of a deviation from this should be an alert?

3. How many misfires/knock count should worry me? I have seen official KTuner say "100's in a short period of time". Is that referring to 100's in a minute, or hundreds over 10 or 15 seconds?

4. Lastly, after reading KTuner manual I don't fully understand how logs work. I got in the car, and removed all logs from On Board Logging. I started the car and while in neutral I clicked "Start Logging". I shifted into gear and started driving. When I got back home, I had 4 sessions, most were only a few seconds long and the main one started with me in 5th gear already driving. Any idea what I may have done wrong? I can attach that log. Also while talking about logs, is there a way to see timestamps for the log? I wasn't able to find an option to add that to the on board logging menu. Only File Name (Session 1, 2, X), and Size. I tried right clicking the bar to add new fields, but that didn't work. The example in the KTuner documentation has additional fields, such as start time of the log
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you first upload a new tune, knock control will start out at .59 and will lower with extended driving.

Unless you are seeing tons of "misfires" in a very short time (minutes), I wouldn't worry.

The main things I monitor are knock control, IAT's and fuel trims.

As far as logs go, start the log and do your drive. Before turning off the car, stop the log. It should save as one large log, not four small ones.

OP
OP
cpthangover

cpthangover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI 2020
Country flag
When you first upload a new tune, knock control will start out at .59 and will lower with extended driving.

Unless you are seeing tons of "misfires" in a very short time (minutes), I wouldn't worry.

The main things I monitor are knock control, IAT's and fuel trims.

As far as logs go, start the log and do your drive. Before turning off the car, stop the log. It should save as one large log, not four small ones.
Hey GTMan! Thanks for responding. Like I said, your reliability survey is a big portion of why I made the purchase, I really appreciate you organizing that!

good to know it starts there. I will go on a long drive later this week and keep an eye on it.

I'll keep an eye on the IAT and fuel trims, thanks for the suggestions.

I will give logging another go. If what happened isn't intended behavior, I must have made a mistake. I'll email KTuner if it's a recurring thing.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing to keep in mind. With you being In California, you aren't able to get 93 octane. With 91, you may get down to .49 but you might stabilize closer to the low .5's for the most part.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
You have to set up the log parameters in the KTuner software. If you drop out of those parameters, logging stops. Example, speed start and stop. If you slow to below thresholds logging will stop.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have to set up the log parameters in the KTuner software. If you drop out of those parameters, logging stops. Example, speed start and stop. If you slow to below thresholds logging will stop.
Out of the box I don't think that's the case. It's just a start a log, stop a log thing. You can set parameters if you want, but those are optional settings.

At least that's how it is on my V2.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Out of the box I don't think that's the case. It's just a start a log, stop a log thing. You can set parameters if you want, but those are optional settings.

At least that's how it is on my V2.
I had to set up parameters because I was having the same issue. V2 here as well.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
On board logging via parameters is not enabled by default. It would need to be turned on in order to work. You can manually log at any time and those parameters will not stop the datalog.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Well, I must have been doing something wrong then....

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The tutorial video shows how to start and stop a datalog along with what to look for as an indicator, if you want to give it another go.

Boostpyro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 SI
Country flag
Great thread, I want to bump to add more to it. Iā€™ve had very similar questions. Iā€™m about to purchase a V2 but I donā€™t like to purchase things without understanding them. Iā€™ve never handled tuning myself before so Iā€™m ready to dive in.

1. Knock control. I keep reading that .49 is safe. Ok great, but what is a safe usual range? What causes higher or lower readings and when should you be concerned?

2. Knock count: Poor readings seem to be caused by lower grade fuel generally? Can certain mods affect this? Whatā€™s generally normal to see?

3. Fuel Trims. Can someone explain fuel trims and ranges to me? How are these presented on V2? When should you be concerned?

Any other important ranges you guys monitor? IATs and pretty straight forward.

Thanks!! Looking forward to getting my ā€˜18 SI tuned.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Knock Control in itself is a safety/protection feature. It's a reflection of both gas quality and environmental factors like load and temperatures. K. Control goes higher to protect the engine but doing so reduces power because it retards timing. That .49 number is the lowest you'll see and 93 octane helps in that regard.

Knock count on our car isn't as important as knock control. You'll often see some small number on a drive (let's say 10) and no worries. If you're at 200, then you may have an issue.

Fuel trims (LTFT,STFT) are hugely important, especially long term trims. Short term trims will fluctuate quite a bit which is normal. They are a reflection of whether the car is running lean or rich. Ideally you'd want them near 0 but + or - 10 is generally the max normal/safe range.
Sponsored

Last edited: