I'ma do it, but I'd thought I'd ask first (yes I'm serious)

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
I'm going to drill a hole or more in my exhaust. I don't wanna hear the "don't go cheap and just buy a real exhaust" speech, I'm not going to. I'm more than happy with my 250ish HP and don't really plan on going more so an exhaust setup isn't needed and I really just want a slight noise increase.

WITH THAT BEING SAID

If one was to drill a hole or two or fifty, would one want to start drilling in the exhaust itself before the mufflers or drill into the mufflers itself?

Thank you all for the non judgemental opinions.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Given the muffs ā€˜muffleā€™ sound, probably best to drill a hole in the piping right before it. Something to consider is that you may also be decreasing structural rigidity itself by modifying the piping. You might be introducing a weak spot that can lead to failure in the future. Also, if you plan on someday selling the vehicle, a hole in exhaust is highly problematic for resale.

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Given the muffs ā€˜muffleā€™ sound, probably best to drill a hole in the piping right before it. Something to consider is that you may also be decreasing structural rigidity itself by modifying the piping. You might be introducing a weak spot that can lead to failure in the future. Also, if you plan on someday selling the vehicle, a hole in exhaust is highly problematic for resale.
Maybe it'll completely fuck up the back end and it'll rust over causing me to get a sport muffler at that point. Been looking at the vibrant 1040 anyway cuz I don't want anything loud but in all honesty I want just slightly more noise. The car is paid off and has 40k miles and I have no intentions to sell.

I appreciate the input.

toastyJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I saw a vid of an Si with a vibrant resonator/muffler on YouTube. Easily the best sounding Si I've heard and it wasn't even close.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If I were going to do this; I'd get a diagram of the actual chambers inside the thing. Lots of designs have a system where there is one chamber going one way and another identical one; but about 180 degrees 'out of phase' so as to cancel out noise.

So maybe you alter both the same way to get the same sound; just louder?

And I'd drill in the center and away from any welds or crimps.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you want to let exhaust gases go where they aren't meant to? Good idea. Prepare for more corrosion and smelling that exhaust flowing into your car through the windows and the vents at stops. Drilling into your exhaust isn't going to make it sound better. Do a resonator delete if you want more sound.

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
I saw a vid of an Si with a vibrant resonator/muffler on YouTube. Easily the best sounding Si I've heard and it wasn't even close.
I've seen videos on YT with the vibrant muffler and it does sound good. But I'm PCS'ing soon and just want a bit more. Not a lot and I don't want to spend the cash yet for it, but just something for now.

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Do you already have an aftermarket downpipe? Not the cheapest option, but a catted DP sounds pretty damn good paired with an otherwise stock catback.
I should have bought when they were less expensive but still on the fence on that one. I'm content with what I have now and don't want to spend that kind of cash just for the sound. As stated on another comment I'm PCS'ing soon and we'll see what I do with this car when I get to the new location.

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
If I were going to do this; I'd get a diagram of the actual chambers inside the thing. Lots of designs have a system where there is one chamber going one way and another identical one; but about 180 degrees 'out of phase' so as to cancel out noise.

So maybe you alter both the same way to get the same sound; just louder?

And I'd drill in the center and away from any welds or crimps.
Solid advice. I'll look into that for sure.

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
So you want to let exhaust gases go where they aren't meant to? Good idea. Prepare for more corrosion and smelling that exhaust flowing into your car through the windows and the vents at stops. Drilling into your exhaust isn't going to make it sound better. Do a resonator delete if you want more sound.
I could give a shit where the gases go but I was planning on drilling past the Y piping towards the back pointing to the rear. As far as sounding better that's not the goal. I want an increase in sound volume through 1, 2, 3, maybe 100 holes in the rear piping just before the mufflers.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was my first exhaust mod on my Sport Hatch. Start small, then gradually increase in size until happy. The hole I had (below) was perfect for my taste, but then I deleted my resonator and it became a bit too loud, so I had a shop weld it closed again. Now I just run a res delete and I'm happy. Good luck.
Honda Civic 10th gen I'ma do it, but I'd thought I'd ask first (yes I'm serious) IMG_1479.JPG

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
This was my first exhaust mod on my Sport Hatch. Start small, then gradually increase in size until happy. The hole I had (below) was perfect for my taste, but then I deleted my resonator and it became a bit too loud, so I had a shop weld it closed again. Now I just run a res delete and I'm happy. Good luck.
IMG_1479.JPG
Just did 6 holes. 3 on each side after that "Y" shaped pipe. Figured it would give it just enough to pass through on each side instead of all coming out the middle. I got exactly what I wanted, a little more noise and no money spent. I can hear the cracks and pops a little louder as well and nothing obnoxious. It's literally stock sound (which I didn't mind) only more audible. Now let's see if I ever decide to get a DP, wonder how it would sound then.

Thanks y'all

OP
OP
DHM85

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Aaaaaaand 1 more in the middle for good measure and holy cunt knuckle batman that made a great difference. Throaty which I wasn't expecting yet still not obnoxious. Noticably louder yes but not so loud that my wife is gonna complain
Honda Civic 10th gen I'ma do it, but I'd thought I'd ask first (yes I'm serious) PXL_20220901_213802730

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Good lawd so much youth in here.
Sponsored