I'm thinking my Type-R is a POS

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I had a new Type R, and indeed ended up downgrading to a Sport hatch manual. The Type R is not a POS, I just got tired of it overheating on track days, and the dumb 20" wheels getting bent on normal roads, and the cost of 20" tires. I then bought some Titan 7 T-S5 18"s in with Michelin Pilot Sports (255/40s) and 45mm offset (because my BMW 5x120s wouldn't fit, the lug holes were do too small, another inexplicable bit of Honda stupidity) but the handling was screwed. And I've found no wheel maker offering the stock 60mm offset, which was undoubtedly part of the cause. I'd had enough. I'm happy with the Sport manual so far, and it didn't overheat on the first track day. Got some brakes and RV6 rear bar on order, and found a good deal on some 18 5x114.3 wheels.
Type r handling wont get mess up with titan 7 et45 wheel.. not sure what you are talking about..
You might has little torque steering with et45 but that is only when you are exiting corner fast ...
Et 45 is actually good for fk8. Looks good. Drives good.

I have both fbo tuned sport hatch and a fbo tuned fk8... i will choose fk8 all day long..

I am not sure why would someone upgrade to sport hatch just because head soak..
If it is switch to Golf R.. then it is morr reasonable...
Gold r can track all day out and handle way better then sport hatch...
Sponsored

Last edited:

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Hatchback Sport manual, '05 BMW 330i
Country flag
No argument on what's the better car, it'd be worth the extra $15K if not for the overheating issue some seem to overlook (because they've never run it hard enough and long enough to experience it). As for the handling issue, it was definitely there, although I never ran the T-S5/255/40-18 setup on a track. Torque steer was not bad, but there was a rubber-band windup/release I could repeat over and over again on the street in anything resembling a switchback/chicane, or a fast cloverleaf entry. This probably had as much to do with the lack of sidewall stiffness of the Pilot Sports, but they're not a bad tire as far as that goes. So try it yourself and report back; it wasn't something I could tune out in stock form. A Golf R is in the same price league as the Type R, and not comparable with a lowly sport hatch manual.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys apparently can't fathom why anyone might want to downgrade? I made the reasons pretty clear, for those who want to learn. The Type R is sold as a track car, but needs a bigger radiator to be viable as one. I'm guessing neither of you doubters ever tried running yours at a track. BTW, mine was #12364.
Fairly close to my number lol, #12306. Also, I'm pretty sure there was someone else who "downgraded" to an Si from a CTR. It happens, for various reasons.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
If it is switch to Golf R.. then it is morr reasonable...
Heh. I had a Golf R for a few years, coming to it from a GTI. Never tracked it, but yes, it was glued to the freakin' road and went like a scalded dog. No where near as fun as the Type R, though. It felt heavier, the manual transmission was a dog until I put a short shift kit on it (the car is really designed for the DSG auto), and like a lot of the VAG AWD cars, it does things so easily that it gets kind of boring. Now, on the track, I'm sure it would be much more entertaining, but I had far more fun in my GTI than in the R for sure.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is way too much lockout on the 5th to 4th downshift. I have 17,000 miles on a 2018 CTR and that has not been an issue. Worst thing I have seen is occasionally - very, very rarely - gear grind on the 1-2 shift. If you are getting lockout of course Amsoil will help, but do get it to a dealer asap. The noise - I am not sure, other than the engine takes a few minutes to warm up properly and that may be it...but record it if you can so when you go to the dealer they can hear it. Because cars are sneaky and they will of course not be able to replicate it. Especially since your car will then have just been driven...I find that I have to baby it - not rev it past 4,000-4,500 tops - until it warms up and then it is fine. Even in the summer in AZ.
But - bottom line - it is not a POS. I went from a 2017 SI to this 2018 CTR. It is better. a lot better. And the SI was great. I don't miss the SI seats, the rev hang, or a few other things.
Sometimes - okay, more than sometimes - the CTR tranny does not like to be rushed, and does not reward any lack of precision. Not meant as a cut - I have driven stick shifts for 45 years, and I still occasionally only think I put the clutch in 100 % of the way, etc. if I am not really deliberate. What I am saying is that the normal margin of error does not seem to be present in the CTR. So it is not that you did anything wrong, it may be just that it is a bit temperamental. My take.

hooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R (Sold)
Country flag
For the first 5000km my 2020 had the 5-4 lockout almost every drive. I was getting fed up and decided to switch to GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. The lockout was gone immediately. I'm now over 6000km and haven't had a proper lockout since. Once in a while I'll still get a bit of resistance going into 4th from 5th, but it always goes in now instead of locking out. Gearbox definitely feels better overall now.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
i owned several hondas in my lifetime , they out last most brands if yiu take care of the car. go buy a vw or hyndai if you dont belive me

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I would think a more credible downgrade would be from a type r at least to a Honda Accord 2.0 or a civic si , I meen coming from a type r that gives nothing but a good feel when driving it and more if it’s tuned

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would think a more credible downgrade would be from a type r at least to a Honda Accord 2.0 or a civic si , I meen coming from a type r that gives nothing but a good feel when driving it and more if it’s tuned
yeah there is a reason Type R costs twice as much as base Civic. Accord did require 3X the time and resources to design than Civic. All these Civic refreshes and changes of 10th gens because it was half-baked

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Hatchback Sport manual, '05 BMW 330i
Country flag
yeah there is a reason Type R costs twice as much as base Civic. Accord did require 3X the time and resources to design than Civic. All these Civic refreshes and changes of 10th gens because it was half-baked
I kinda doubt that, since the Accord and Civic share the same platform. Not sure what you mean by half-baked. If they made an Accord hatch manual I'd buy one.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I kinda doubt that, since the Accord and Civic share the same platform. Not sure what you mean by half-baked. If they made an Accord hatch manual I'd buy one.
Are you just guessing? The Civic and Accord are totally different cars. They share some powertrain parts but everything else is distinct. The time to design is Honda publicly released information. One came out in 2016 and the Accord in 2018. The exterior styling of Civic has been condemned for the fake vents. The Civic suffered issues that were changed and updated in latter years. The Accord even has active shutters and Heads Up Display, lumbar adjustment, and is simply better designed and refined so much that Honda loses money with this, their FLAGSHIP car versus profit leader: Civic. I have a Civic and I needed a hatchback because I design and build stuff so use the cargo space with rear seats down more than with the seats up. I appreciate the good aspects of the Civic but I spent hundreds of dollars to refine it because Honda didn't: changed front seats, exhaust system, audio system, rim and tire combo, interior and exterior insulation. I probably could have purchased the Accord and left it alone but they don't make it in a wagon anymore and I was looking forward to tossing a hatchback around after driving station wagons for 17 straight years.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Are you just guessing? The Civic and Accord are totally different cars. They share some powertrain parts but everything else is distinct. The time to design is Honda publicly released information. One came out in 2016 and the Accord in 2018. The exterior styling of Civic has been condemned for the fake vents. The Civic suffered issues that were changed and updated in latter years. The Accord even has active shutters and Heads Up Display, lumbar adjustment, and is simply better designed and refined so much that Honda loses money with this, their FLAGSHIP car versus profit leader: Civic. I have a Civic and I needed a hatchback because I design and build stuff so use the cargo space with rear seats down more than with the seats up. I appreciate the good aspects of the Civic but I spent hundreds of dollars to refine it because Honda didn't: changed front seats, exhaust system, audio system, rim and tire combo, interior and exterior insulation. I probably could have purchased the Accord and left it alone but they don't make it in a wagon anymore and I was looking forward to tossing a hatchback around after driving station wagons for 17 straight years.
Ok, but to be fair, this is the most refined Civic ever made. I'm guessing you wouldn't have been any happier with any other car in the compact class. They are all built to a price. And I seriously doubt Honda loses money on any Accord models. I'd like to see a source for that.
Sponsored