I'm thinking my Type-R is a POS

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Thats amazing that you downgraded from the R. I have a Sport HB and have modified a few things like adding type R seats. I wonder why you did not put 18's with the proper offset?
That post doesn't sound very credible to me, so I don't think that is what actually happened. I would say this guy had a Sport HB from the get and came up with the R part for reasons unknown.
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I am always intrigued by the interplay between what designers of cars intend and what users of cars actually do. Traditionally, American cars were designed and built with the understanding that drivers would do pretty much anything and everything, whenever and wherever the spirit moved them. Thus, Detroit generally had a philosophy akin to Soviet tractor or tank manufacturers. Make it idiot proof, because the drivers are not going to follow instructions or maintenance intervals anyhow. Of course, that didn't stop problems from cropping up due to crappy build quality or other factors, but in terms of design, there was zero confidence in American consumers' ability or desire to actually pay attention to anything the engineers said.

German automakers, on the other hand, generally took the opposite approach. Rules were issued, and they expected people to follow those rules. If you did so, the cars generally were reliable and performed as advertised. If you did not follow the rules, bad things happened. The German car forums are full of people who complain about this or that flaw, and then admit that they ignored maintenance intervals, or did things that the manual specifically said not to do, or otherwise colored outside the lines. Of course, again, that doesn't mean some German cars weren't poorly conceived or didn't have flaws in manufacturing, but by and large, the issues that came up were mostly problems between seat and steering wheel.

The Japanese and now Korean manufacturers sort of split the difference. They learned, after rough starts, to build cars that are bulletproof and relatively immune to ham-fisted gaijin ways. They also, however, took pride in building other cars that were just as much precision instruments as anything from Stuttgart or Munich. The Japanese in particular, though, dialed back the edge cases a bit and beefed up the idiot-proofing more, which may account for the number of Hondas, Toyotas, and other Asian makes on the road with six-digit mileage.

Over time, all automakers have learned a lot, to their credit, though one manifestation of this is the decline of manual transmissions. Manufacturers know that automatics deliver more marketing friendly numbers, and are much more resilient to operator error. Manuals, by their very nature, invite individually determined experience envelopes, as it were, which are the nightmare of engineers who are trying to normalize experience across a wide variety of variables. Hence, when we do get a manual transmission, we are generally getting something that has been engineered to split the difference between that individual control we want, and the constrained common user experience the engineers need. Rev-matching, lockout,s, clutch delays, all of that.

tl;dr, everybody shifts differently and the transmissions are designed to balance safety, reliability, and performance. If your shifting is within the parameters the engineers intend, voila, you're golden. Go outside those limits and caveat emptor.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I’m the only one that’s hit a million potholes with practically no damage to the wheels
I was so worried about it before purchase I had started looking for wheels.

---Buy car

No real issues outside of it's a bit jarring if you hit something. People that damage them must hit some serious monster potholes. But then again I think if they hit that same pothole with any wheel at speed it would do damage.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I was so worried about it before purchase I had started looking for wheels.

---Buy car

No real issues outside of it's a bit jarring if you hit something. People that damage them must hit some serious monster potholes. But then again I think if they hit that same pothole with any wheel at speed it would do damage.
Likewise. I was so paranoid.
I roll through constructions sites and old cities with terrible roads. The only issue I have is a scratch on the paint from a wild rock

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Type r wheels are the hardest ive had ive hot pot holes no damgae at all , i keep my wheels at 40lbs front 39 rear

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2020 Type-R I picked up mid-June of this year (3/20 build on the vin tag so pre-covid car). The car currently has 346 miles (I have a short commute), but the kicker is this....the downshift from 5th to 4th locks out on a daily basis, to the point of absurdity. I've been driving manuals since I learned to drive and have owned manual TLs, Si's and S2000s, and none of them have ever exhibited this defect. In fact, they've been perfect. It is really annoying, especially when you want to have fun coming in hot on your highway exit.

But wait, there's more. On cold start from overnight, there's an annoying buzz when you press on the gas. It goes throughout the rpm range. It goes away after about 5-10 minutes driving. I have no idea what it is...but it makes my car sound like a POS, to be quite honest.

Thirdly, the Type-R is supposed to have a better sound system...it disappoints on that as well. The Si sounds WAAAAAY better.

I regret getting rid of my Si at this juncture for this thing...what a huge letdown. If anyone has any solutions, answers or ideas for the aforementioned, please let me know, I'd be happy to hear about it. Before you tell me to search, no....I don't have time, and would just appreciate some solid citizenry here.
I feel you.
I have 1 -2 grind, people said I dont know how to drive. but I have only driven many manual car since 1996 when I got my driver licence.
I even have another 10th gen hatch for my wife that I drove before getting a type R.. the regular hatch has no problem with lock out nor any grind.

Being said that, I still love the car, so I try to find solution. I changed the trans fluid to Amsoil and it seems to significately reduced the grind, the shifting is more smooth.
I also upgraded my shifter to acuity, I have pretty much solved the grind issue. Luckily, I never have any lockout issue, just 2nd gear grind on my car.

sorry, i have no idea what that buzzy noise is.. I have some buzz when i let go of the gas paddle but not during accelerate.

in regard speak system, it said premium but I am sure it is worse than your TLS from years ago.
I have swap out every single speakers tweeter and add a small box with amp in trunk.
I have alpine type R up front, and c2-650 at the back.

Last edited:

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Hatchback Sport manual, '05 BMW 330i
Country flag
That post doesn't sound very credible to me, so I don't think that is what actually happened. I would say this guy had a Sport HB from the get and came up with the R part for reasons unknown.
Well, I had a new Type R, and indeed ended up downgrading to a Sport hatch manual. The Type R is not a POS, I just got tired of it overheating on track days, and the dumb 20" wheels getting bent on normal roads, and the cost of 20" tires. I then bought some Titan 7 T-S5 18"s in with Michelin Pilot Sports (255/40s) and 45mm offset (because my BMW 5x120s wouldn't fit, the lug holes were do too small, another inexplicable bit of Honda stupidity) but the handling was screwed. And I've found no wheel maker offering the stock 60mm offset, which was undoubtedly part of the cause. I'd had enough. I'm happy with the Sport manual so far, and it didn't overheat on the first track day. Got some brakes and RV6 rear bar on order, and found a good deal on some 18 5x114.3 wheels.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This s
Well, I had a new Type R, and indeed ended up downgrading to a Sport hatch manual. The Type R is not a POS, I just got tired of it overheating on track days, and the dumb 20" wheels getting bent on normal roads, and the cost of 20" tires. I then bought some Titan 7 T-S5 18"s in with Michelin Pilot Sports (255/40s) and 45mm offset (because my BMW 5x120s wouldn't fit, the lug holes were do too small, another inexplicable bit of Honda stupidity) but the handling was screwed. And I've found no wheel maker offering the stock 60mm offset, which was undoubtedly part of the cause. I'd had enough. I'm happy with the Sport manual so far, and it didn't overheat on the first track day. Got some brakes and RV6 rear bar on order, and found a good deal on some 18 5x114.3 wheels.
This sounds even less credible than the first post friend, just enjoy your car whatever it is. But if you were bending wheels on the regular then you should be more concious of the roads you drive on and avoid the bigger trenches. (I drive in Houston, and haven't bent a wheel yet or blown a tire and I've hit a few surprise monsters) There are options for higher offset, so if you tossed the car due to that - that's unfortunate as it's easily remedied.

Also would like to see more proof of this 'tracking all the time and had to toss the R because it was just overheating so much'.

You just feel like you're doubling down on the BS and it's time to show the cards :) Post up some pics or proof and I walk back all that I've said and claim. But this really smells to high heaven, to me.

Happy motoring all

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This s

This sounds even less credible than the first post friend, just enjoy your car whatever it is. But if you were bending wheels on the regular then you should be more concious of the roads you drive on and avoid the bigger trenches. (I drive in Houston, and haven't bent a wheel yet or blown a tire and I've hit a few surprise monsters) There are options for higher offset, so if you tossed the car due to that - that's unfortunate as it's easily remedied.

Also would like to see more proof of this 'tracking all the time and had to toss the R because it was just overheating so much'.

You just feel like you're doubling down on the BS and it's time to show the cards :) Post up some pics or proof and I walk back all that I've said and claim. But this really smells to high heaven, to me.

Happy motoring all
Already posted some pics when I had the wheels for sale, don't really care what you think.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Already posted some pics when I had the wheels for sale, don't really care what you think.
And yet, you wrote a novel above based on my one sentence assumption.

Cool story Francis enjoy the Sport hatch!

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Happy downgrade but i think the type r was never in your hands
You guys apparently can't fathom why anyone might want to downgrade? I made the reasons pretty clear, for those who want to learn. The Type R is sold as a track car, but needs a bigger radiator to be viable as one. I'm guessing neither of you doubters ever tried running yours at a track. BTW, mine was #12364.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
The car made a track record at the Nurembergring i think that speaks for itself and agian ive never expressed that problem any car can over heat at a track all depends on the track and how hard you beat it
Sponsored