First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  • Banned
I have a 2020 Type-R I picked up mid-June of this year (3/20 build on the vin tag so pre-covid car). The car currently has 346 miles (I have a short commute), but the kicker is this....the downshift from 5th to 4th locks out on a daily basis, to the point of absurdity. I've been driving manuals since I learned to drive and have owned manual TLs, Si's and S2000s, and none of them have ever exhibited this defect. In fact, they've been perfect. It is really annoying, especially when you want to have fun coming in hot on your highway exit.

But wait, there's more. On cold start from overnight, there's an annoying buzz when you press on the gas. It goes throughout the rpm range. It goes away after about 5-10 minutes driving. I have no idea what it is...but it makes my car sound like a POS, to be quite honest.

Thirdly, the Type-R is supposed to have a better sound system...it disappoints on that as well. The Si sounds WAAAAAY better.

I regret getting rid of my Si at this juncture for this thing...what a huge letdown. If anyone has any solutions, answers or ideas for the aforementioned, please let me know, I'd be happy to hear about it. Before you tell me to search, no....I don't have time, and would just appreciate some solid citizenry here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The transmission lockouts are the most well known issue of the FK8. The only other really widespread issue is overheating on the track and an insufficient intercooler for daily driving in warm climates. The fuel pump limits people trying to make more than 400whp, but has no ill effects on stock drivers. Other than that, it's a pretty fuckin' solid platform.

If you're able to replicate it so often, find a way to record it and have them do a ride along. Dealerships have started replacing transmissions for this under warranty, even though Honda still hasn't fully acknowledged there's a problem.

Regarding the noise - could you post a video of it?

One thing can be said for the Type R community - we pretty much never leave somebody hanging. We'll brainstorm shit to death.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Another thing it could be is you not being used to the clutch delay valve - but I believe this is also present in the Si, so that would make very little sense. They'll probably try to tell you that. Just know it's in all 10th gen manuals.

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
Hi Kefi, yea I will try to record it on my commute. Does it have anything to do with the RevMatch system? Maybe I should turn it off? I heal/toe myself anyway, but I still keep the RevMatch on when I get lazy approaching a stop sign or light sometimes.

It is sad to hear that this is a huge problem with the transmission.

My 19 Si never had a problem...only had 5500 miles on that one. Butter smooth shifting.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hi Kefi, yea I will try to record it on my commute. Does it have anything to do with the RevMatch system? Maybe I should turn it off? I heal/toe myself anyway, but I still keep the RevMatch on when I get lazy approaching a stop sign or light sometimes.

It is sad to hear that this is a huge problem with the transmission.
I don't believe we've ever found it's related to the rev match system. I'm not one to say it isn't worth a try though, especially if you already heel/toe anyways. My feet are way too big to do so.

After 25k miles of non-stop hooning the absolute dogshit out of my R on the hot Florida streets, the biggest issue for ME seems to be hitting it super hard from 1st to 2nd, sometimes 2nd to 3rd, I'll on very rare occasions get a major grind. I rarely get full lockouts, but it happens.

5th to 4th lockout isn't the most common transmission issue, and especially not with the frequency you describe. BUT, this sounds like an easy warranty from Honda if you end up going down that route. Grinds can be blamed on a user, lockouts are much easier to blame on the manufacturer.

If anything, maybe try having the dealer swap the MTF fluid for you first and if they don't do it, do it yourself with Amsoil Synchromesh. Tons have reported major improvements from just this alone. They'll do that before swapping the tranny anyways.

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
I've not had a problem with 1st to 2nd...yet. The 5th to 4th lock out...and when I say it's a lock out...you can't even shift down...its like wtf is this? You have to re-clutch, get it in neutral and try again for 4th. My concern is you are slowing down now, with NY drivers up my ass....I just feel like this is going get me rear-ended one day.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah, I get that kind of lockout here and there. Straight up can't get into gear, gotta go to neutral and disengage the clutch to try again. Something's fucky with our transmissions and Honda hasn't admitted it yet. Most people are fine, but there's a handful of people that are severely affected until they swap their MT fluid or do a full transmission replacement.

Sorry you got the shit end of the stick right at the start, but it's worth holding out for and getting fixed. This platform has a ton to offer and you won't run into many other problems.

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have a 2019 and had the 4th gear lock out when it was brand new all the time. It was super annoying, not sure what was causing it but it disappeared after about 5k miles. Maybe the transmission needed to be broken in a bit? I can't remember the last time it happened but it used to happen on probably 50 percent of downshifts from 5 to 4

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I am having the same problems you are. I dont have as many miles on it yet, but I an having an issue with the downshifting lockout. The 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 is notchy as hell too. I'm think to get the transmission fluid changed in a couple of miles.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
4th gear lock out, this is different from the grinding correct? I switched my transmission fluid over to Amsoil when it hit 4k miles and it has been good to me.
Closely related, but very different symptoms and effects. It's the same underlying mechanism going wrong in both cases.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wish Honda would admit the trans sucks.. It's the only thing I hate about my car. My first 2nd gear grind was at medium rpm's during the break-in period with only 300 miles on the car. Have had about 15 since. I have a lot of them caught on my dash cam but since Honda themselves can't replicate it they send me on my way. Even if they did, there isn't a fix. They'd just swap fluids or swap gear sets with the same crap and return your car.

I swapped to amsoil syncromesh a few months ago and for a few weeks it shifted like butter. I thought my troubles were over until I got a 4th gear grind.. Then a week or two later a really bad 2nd gear grind.

I hope your issues get solved because otherwise it's the best daily I've ever owned (6 have been manuals) and I've had about 15 other cars in the past from all different manufacturers.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funnily enough, I’ve seen less notchiness and lockout behaviors from my trans as the miles accumulate. But I’ve also deliberately slowed down my shift speed to give the trans time to catch up. I’m almost to 30K. Supposedly I should swap out my MTF soonish. Dunno though, worried that it will screw with the relative smoothness of the transmission.

Buzzing on accel is the opposite of what I have - it’s buzzing on decel, and worse, it never goes away.

hooger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R (Sold)
Country flag
I have a 2020 Type-R I picked up mid-June of this year (3/20 build on the vin tag so pre-covid car). The car current has 346 miles (I have a short commute), but the kicker is this....the downshift from 5th to 4th locks out on a daily basis, to the point of absurdity. I've been driving manuals since I learned to drive and have owned manual TLs, Si's and S2000s, and none of them have ever exhibited this defect. In fact, they've been perfect. It is really annoying, especially when you want to have fun coming in hot on your highway exit.
I've had a similar problem with my 2020 as well - no grinds - just 5 to 4 lockout. They happen pretty frequently but there's no pattern as to why they happen. I will go for an hour drive and I will have none or maybe 1 lockout. Other times it will happen twice in 5 minutes. I've also tried to see if turning off rev match will affect the lockout but it didn't make a difference for me.

When I experience a 5 to 4 lockout it feels like it goes halfway into 4th and stops - I stop applying pressure and just hold it there while its sitting halfway in 4th and then it will go fully into gear half a second later. No grinds or anything, it just takes its time.

I've have 4000km on mine, I'm thinking of switching trans oil sooner than later. I'm hesitant to try the CMC adjustment as 1 to 2 and the other gears have been fine.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Regarding the sound system... I was also disappointed with it. Replacing the stock sub with an aftermarket one plus an amp cured that. There's plenty of info out there to do this yourself if you are willing.
Sponsored