I'm thinking my Type-R is a POS

BS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Hatchback Sport manual, '05 BMW 330i
Country flag
Are you just guessing? The Civic and Accord are totally different cars. They share some powertrain parts but everything else is distinct. The time to design is Honda publicly released information. One came out in 2016 and the Accord in 2018. The exterior styling of Civic has been condemned for the fake vents. The Civic suffered issues that were changed and updated in latter years. The Accord even has active shutters and Heads Up Display, lumbar adjustment, and is simply better designed and refined so much that Honda loses money with this, their FLAGSHIP car versus profit leader: Civic. I have a Civic and I needed a hatchback because I design and build stuff so use the cargo space with rear seats down more than with the seats up. I appreciate the good aspects of the Civic but I spent hundreds of dollars to refine it because Honda didn't: changed front seats, exhaust system, audio system, rim and tire combo, interior and exterior insulation. I probably could have purchased the Accord and left it alone but they don't make it in a wagon anymore and I was looking forward to tossing a hatchback around after driving station wagons for 17 straight years.
Right, like I said, I'd buy an Accord hatch if they made one...Honda is still stuck in the 'Americans only want sedans' mode, while it's now 'Americans only want trucks and SUVs'. Of course the Accord is more upscale and refined than the Civic, but they do share the same basic platform. And I never believe the 'they lose money on every one' claim, total nonsense. But this is a Civic forum!
Sponsored

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Not a civic forum it’s the type r sección ,it is a hole different game

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I've swapped to the acuity solid bushings and the stage 3 shifter and the shifting is much better HOWEVER I can still feel slight buzzes of the synchros when shifting fast so I'm gonna vote CDV being the culprit for the grinds because I've changed all the other components to better stuff and it's still happening. Hopefully in a couple weeks when I swap out rotors and pads along with modded slave and new endless rf650 the problem will cease to exist entirely.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've swapped to the acuity solid bushings and the stage 3 shifter and the shifting is much better HOWEVER I can still feel slight buzzes of the synchros when shifting fast so I'm gonna vote CDV being the culprit for the grinds because I've changed all the other components to better stuff and it's still happening. Hopefully in a couple weeks when I swap out rotors and pads along with modded slave and new endless rf650 the problem will cease to exist entirely.
As someone who redlines to every gear all the time, I can unfortunately say that the CDV delete did not resolve my grinds. Apparently the issue may be more related to the master cylinder and some adjustments on there that I'll be trying next.

However, results may vary. We don't have it figured out, so maybe it'll help.

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
The CDV in the slave just slows the return of the friction materials of the clutch. This helps prevent driveline shock from dumping the clutch too quickly. The modified CMC does have the damper deleted along with a larger feed hole. This will pass more fluid quicker than stock. This paired with the clutch adjustment helps release the clutch as quick as possible which is what you want. The lock out is probably caused by the gates not being lined up properly either by being lazy with the shifter or something wrong with the linkage. I was trying to figure out how he’s shifting since I’ve seen so many people shift in a diagonal line versus a zig zag like an old school gated shifter
For some reason the resistance when shifting from 5-4 for me is very low and it's much harder to do a zig zag and I feel like every lockout I've encountered is because I'm shifting in a diagonal like you mentioned.

IDK why but it feels much easier to zig-zag when shifting from 3-2 compared to 5-4, there is always alot more resistance when I'm going into neutral from 3-2 which makes it easier to zig-zag. I'm trying to change my shifting style from 5-4 because I do think it is part of the lockout issue, as the trans is very unhappy when you do a 'diagonal' shift.

cjreynolds

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
But wait, there's more. On cold start from overnight, there's an annoying buzz when you press on the gas. It goes throughout the rpm range. It goes away after about 5-10 minutes driving. I have no idea what it is...but it makes my car sound like a POS, to be quite honest.

Thirdly, the Type-R is supposed to have a better sound system...it disappoints on that as well. The Si sounds WAAAAAY better.
I agree on the sound, I had an Si before grabbing a Type R, but I just put a JL 12 ported sub in the car and the car sounds amazeballz now with factory fronts. Don't give up!

I have that sound too. not sure what it is, it kinda reminds me of my subaru before the TGV deletes. I think it might have something to do with warming the car up.

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I want to update this as of today. I had to have the car alignment redone bc from the factory the specs were so off on the rear the car wouldn't track straight. Now that it is correct, the car feels so much sharper...its a completely different vehicle and much, much more enjoyable to drive now. I believe this to be the source of my initial dissatisfaction with the car....a terrible factory alignment. The 4th gear lockout still happens occasionally, though not as bad as the first 500 miles....I am at 900 right now. When I bring the car for the first oil change I will have it documented. I am thinking perhaps it needs some breaking in, though, I do intend to change out the transmission fluid for what many have proposed.

The radio, I've learned to live with it. What can you do? I like leaving my cars stock, so I most likely will not change speakers or subwoofers.

I also picked up a new 2020 Civic Si coupe. Compared to the 19 I had, you can definitely feel the refinements made. Handling is more taut and sharper. The power steering is nicely weighted, and less boosted compared to the 19 Si Coupe I had. Acceleration off the line and through the gears is also quicker thanks to the gearing changes that were made. On a 90 mile round trip I recently took I achieved 39 mpg and the car has not been broken in yet. This refreshed Si is definitely a better performing package than the 17-19s stock for stock.

Sadly though, there is a major issue with the paint. The driver door is completely a different color than the rest of the car. I know what you are thinking...it was the dealer's fault. I can assure it was not, since I work there. The car came from the factory like this. My guess is it was damaged at port and they did a horrendous job on the repair, or the robots drank some Molsons on the job. I do not know. The rep comes this Tuesday. I initially thought the two tone was a trick of the sun next to other cars parked near it with the colors blending into the Lunar Silver. But when I saw the difference at night, it became clear there was a problem.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I want to update this as of today. I had to have the car alignment redone bc from the factory the specs were so off on the rear the car wouldn't track straight. Now that it is correct, the car feels so much sharper...its a completely different vehicle and much, much more enjoyable to drive now. I believe this to be the source of my initial dissatisfaction with the car....a terrible factory alignment. The 4th gear lockout still happens occasionally, though not as bad as the first 500 miles....I am at 900 right now. When I bring the car for the first oil change I will have it documented. I am thinking perhaps it needs some breaking in, though, I do intend to change out the transmission fluid for what many have proposed.

The radio, I've learned to live with it. What can you do? I like leaving my cars stock, so I most likely will not change speakers or subwoofers.

I also picked up a new 2020 Civic Si coupe. Compared to the 19 I had, you can definitely feel the refinements made. Handling is more taut and sharper. The power steering is nicely weighted, and less boosted compared to the 19 Si Coupe I had. Acceleration off the line and through the gears is also quicker thanks to the gearing changes that were made. On a 90 mile round trip I recently took I achieved 39 mpg and the car has not been broken in yet. This refreshed Si is definitely a better performing package than the 17-19s stock for stock.

Sadly though, there is a major issue with the paint. The driver door is completely a different color than the rest of the car. I know what you are thinking...it was the dealer's fault. I can assure it was not, since I work there. The car came from the factory like this. My guess is it was damaged at port and they did a horrendous job on the repair, or the robots drank some Molsons on the job. I do not know. The rep comes this Tuesday. I initially thought the two tone was a trick of the sun next to other cars parked near it with the colors blending into the Lunar Silver. But when I saw the difference at night, it became clear there was a problem.
If the paint match is that bad from factory, it would be warrantable as it’s a defect. Might be worth looking into.

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
btw, i went on an extended drive today and purposely made sure that my 5-4 shifts were done in a zigzag pattern instead of pulling it diagonally down, and i had no lockouts at all in both casual and spirited driving situations. i'm beginning to think that the way people shift plays a large role in why the lockout occurs.

besides changing my shifting approach, the only thing i've done is adjust my the my cmc rod to ensure there is no play in the clutch

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

So the Type R is more of a collector car for you? I put 900 miles on my Civic during the first couple of days I had the car. My car, a 1.5 Hatchback made in Swindon, was suffering the grinds mainly from 1-2 and after about 10,000 miles it broke in nicely and a better gear oil sealed the deal. If I were in your lovely R I would put a real fluid in there and be a little easy on it until it reaches more miles/ shifts performed.

OP
OP
RedBullHondaF1

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Nope...not a collector car...my commute is 6 miles round trip. :D

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Nope...not a collector car...my commute is 6 miles round trip. :D
Take her out more or give her months to break-in. The synchros fit so tightly and cause some issues in the beginning but being soft brass they are designed to mate better after more use.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I've got about 11,000 km on my 2020 Type R. I still get the 4th gear lockout on occasion - but much much less ofthen that when it was brand new. Overall the transmission has become much better over time.
Sponsored