I'm in love

mpbeagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Type R, 2015 Estoril Blue 335i GT, 2005 CTS-V, 2003 WRX, 1997 Z-28, 1990 Civic Dx, 1979 RS Camaro(4sp), 1978 Scirocco, 1970 454 Corvette(4sp), 1969 350/350 Corvette (4sp)
Country flag
I know you all know this already, but this is the most fun and practical car I have ever owned. I have now had my 2019 for 2 weeks and I am amazed at how fun this car is. And I don't miss all the bells and whistles on my 335 that I traded in-even the heated seats (this Honda warms up fast). Changed to 18" wheels and it is very drivable through the worst of Baltimore's streets. Thank you Honda.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I feel bad for people that don't know how great this car is lol - welcome to the club!

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Yeah, I went from an Audi S5 to this, and don't miss the Audi one little bit.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Mine was a B9 S5, and yeah, the parking sensors were nice (as was the stereo and the general quietness, etc.). But it was kind of boring, especially compared to the CTR.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I had a 2014 S4 before the CTR and don't miss it at all. I do miss the parking sensors though. The only car I've owned that I would consider objectively "better" than the CTR as an overall package was my E46 M3, but it cost $20k more than I paid for the CTR, and that was in 2003. I love this car. Congrats on yours, and good move on the wheel swap. I'm in the DC area, and I was terrified driving on the OEM wheels for a few days until I could get them changed out.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2014 S4 before the CTR and don't miss it at all. I do miss the parking sensors though. The only car I've owned that I would consider objectively "better" than the CTR as an overall package was my E46 M3, but it cost $20k more than I paid for the CTR, and that was in 2003. I love this car. Congrats on yours, and good move on the wheel swap. I'm in the DC area, and I was terrified driving on the OEM wheels for a few days until I could get them changed out.
Curious as what made the e46 M3 soo great? This is not he first time I'm hearing this about the e46.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Curious as what made the e46 M3 soo great? This is not he first time I'm hearing this about the e46.
330 hp, gobs of torque, wonderful manual transmission (though the CTR tranny is right up there). Nicely appointed interior with enough bells and whistles, but pre-iDrive when BMW lost its way IMO. Gorgeous exterior styling, not at all controversial like the CTR, everybody loved it. And the way it handled was beyond my ability to describe. I remember accelerating on a twisty on-ramp late at night and I could just feel the car grabbing the road, like I had nothing to worry about. I had an E36 M3 before that, which was also a great car, but to me the E46 was in a class by itself.

That said, it was also the most expensive car I've ever owned, and I was very careful about where I parked and fairly anal about detailing and every little scratch or ding. I ended up selling it before the warranty expired, because my family situation changed and the coupe wasn't very practical with kids and car seats, but I still feel a little pang when I see one on the road. The CTR is cheaper, more reliable (it's a Honda), has four doors, gets much better mileage, and gives me 80-90% of the performance for slightly more than half the price of a new M3.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
330 hp, gobs of torque, wonderful manual transmission (though the CTR tranny is right up there). Nicely appointed interior with enough bells and whistles, but pre-iDrive when BMW lost its way IMO. Gorgeous exterior styling, not at all controversial like the CTR, everybody loved it. And the way it handled was beyond my ability to describe. I remember accelerating on a twisty on-ramp late at night and I could just feel the car grabbing the road, like I had nothing to worry about. I had an E36 M3 before that, which was also a great car, but to me the E46 was in a class by itself.

That said, it was also the most expensive car I've ever owned, and I was very careful about where I parked and fairly anal about detailing and every little scratch or ding. I ended up selling it before the warranty expired, because my family situation changed and the coupe wasn't very practical with kids and car seats, but I still feel a little pang when I see one on the road. The CTR is cheaper, more reliable (it's a Honda), has four doors, gets much better mileage, and gives me 80-90% of the performance for slightly more than half the price of a new M3.
I really like the raspy sound when an exhaust and exhaust manifold are on it(contrary to what most people say)....
I was looking into an e46 M3 as well but people kept persuading me away because of subframe cracks in the rear? do you know if it effected all BMWs e46 or did they fix it in the later model years.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really like the raspy sound when an exhaust and exhaust manifold are on it(contrary to what most people say)....
I was looking into an e46 M3 as well but people kept persuading me away because of subframe cracks in the rear? do you know if it effected all BMWs e46 or did they fix it in the later model years.
Nothing that I'm aware of. Mine was a 2003.5 and had no such issues. But I haven't owned a BMW since I sold that one and stopped visiting the BMW forums about the same time.

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
If I remember correct, it was the e36 m3 that would have the body tear where the rear strut would bolt up. Saw it more than once actually ?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
If I remember correct, it was the e36 m3 that would have the body tear where the rear strut would bolt up. Saw it more than once actually ?
Anyone willing to go buy an almost 20 year old performance BMW needs counseling on how better to burn a stack of cash. :)

CTxieR

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46 M3
Country flag
I've owned my e46 m3 for a dozen years and every time the thought crosses my mind to get rid of it, I can't seem to part ways. It's been my commuter the whole time up until I finally decided I wanted something newer, and the CTR seemed to be the only relatively close option in a sea of mismashed objectives for kludging together an appropriate vehicle.

My example suffered from the two major defects for the e46. I suffered the rear subframe cracking and had to get a reinforcement welded in and the vanos tab broke and had to get a replacement. Oh, and don't forget the rod bearings...

This is on top of the maintenance cycle, such as needing to do a valve adjustment every 30k and replacing the plastic impeller water pump frequently so the blades didn't get brittle and explode into the engine!

All that being said, I love my car and encourage anyone who can, try and experience one. It was designed during an era where the dynamics were more about the mechanical engineering and the computers were only being tapped to enhance the design, whereas modern vehicles have electronically engineered an approximation of said design.

I will agree that anyone willing to get one now be willing to spend more to get it feeling proper. My mechanic has seen too many examples where the lack of maintenance was truly detrimental to the operation and enjoyment.

Keep up on the maintenance tho and you can get hondaesque longevity
Honda Civic 10th gen I'm in love e46_250000

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Only on a BMW are rod bearings considered "maintenance". There was an E46 at my last autocross event with an aftermarket exhaust. It sounded glorious. Wasn't all that fast though. I think their gearing is too long for autoX. Keeps them out of the powerband.
Sponsored