If you want something done, do it yourself.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, little bit of backstory: a couple of months ago, some sprinklers etched half of my car in serious water spots.

So, I took it to a place in town for a wash and some mild paint correction, and they did a wonderful job. This was when I couldn't really exert energy due to health reasons.

Fast-forward to a few days ago, when it rained here. My car was super dirty afterward, and while I typically would wash it myself with my patented 5-stage exterior overhaul, I decided to take it back to that same place. However, this time, they did the opposite. Screwed up my paint! Scratches and swirl marks everywhere! I had them try to correct it, and they did okay, but my paint was still not perfect, as it should be.

So, feeling good this week, decided to correct it myself. In one pic, you can see the scratches and swirl marks. It looks as if my car has years of neglect! Afterward a wash, and after some trial-and-error in my polishing technique, got it back to mirror black perfection, as you can see in the other pic.

Let it never be said that I never had liquid black paint. #SwirlFreeCrew

Honda Civic 10th gen If you want something done, do it yourself. DA100462-6E6F-447D-B6B4-344B3D54602C

Honda Civic 10th gen If you want something done, do it yourself. 3F6AC870-4B91-48A4-A459-23A598FBC0BA

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hold on, are you saying the sprinkler water actually discolored your paint? :eek:

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hold on, are you saying the sprinkler water actually discolored your paint? :eek:
Heh, no, just super-deep water spots etched into the clearcoat.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Once at a motel I parked with the front of the car facing the grass. There was a sprinkler head nearby & apparently they watered the grass sometime over night. Needless to say the car had a lot of water spots when I saw it in the morning.

Lesson learned - I never park near grass or landscaping in the summertime. Who knows when/if sprinklers will come on.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Once at a motel I parked with the front of the car facing the grass. There was a sprinkler head nearby & apparently they watered the grass sometime over night. Needless to say the car had a lot of water spots when I saw it in the morning.

Lesson learned - I never park near grass or landscaping in the summertime. Who knows when/if sprinklers will come on.
Yep, existential lesson for people like us. :drive:

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I have hard water. It's sometimes weeks before the etching goes away on my windshield either by morning dew or rain. I recall Datsons and Chevy Vegas rusting before your very eyes in the 1970s. I feel it's best to frankly not touch the coat protection what so ever.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
p 21 paint work cleanser is what i use. won't vouch for nasty water stains as iv'e never had tuff ones. water marks are removed very easy with little elbow grease. seems to take out those micro scratches too.
stuff is very easy to use. wipe on wipe off like a typical wax job only easy.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Many sprinkler systems (esp. commercial) are fed from a well rather than city water, and there is a high mineral content to the well water.

The orange water marks on sidewalks are from iron in the sprinkler water.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wash and detail by myself, except when i bring it to Honda for service and i'm too lazy to decline a free car wash... my car is 3 years old and not 100% perfect but i can see new swirl marks every time they touch it.

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heh, no, just super-deep water spots etched into the clearcoat.
Water would not super deep etch into a cars clear coat after just one application unless there was an acid in it. I find that hard to believe. After several years ok but just once, never.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Water would not super deep etch into a cars clear coat after just one application unless there was an acid in it. I find that hard to believe. After several years ok but just once, never.
I totally see what you’re saying. To me, the marks were deep, very pronounced, but at the microscopic level, yeah, nothing like acid.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always wash and detail by myself, except when i bring it to Honda for service and i'm too lazy to decline a free car wash... my car is 3 years old and not 100% perfect but i can see new swirl marks every time they touch it.
I think even for service, I’ll tell them not to wash it. This paint just seems too soft for anything other than a diligent handwash.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I think even for service, I’ll tell them not to wash it. This paint just seems too soft for anything other than a diligent handwash.
The few lessons in life:-

(1) If you want a job done right - do it yourself :bat:

(2) Nothing in life is Free
( ie Even your Free car wash will cost you !! ) :drive:

(3) Only certainty in life - is death
( even Taxes are no longer a certainty for some ) :wave:

(4) If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true :dunno:

(5) If a Dealers mouth is moving, they are lying :bs:

(6) Nobody is unimpeachable :patriot:
(It's going to be GRAAAAAAATE )​

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My understanding is the car is well waxed, there will be no water spots.
I started detailing my own car for the past 15 years. I never saw water spots on my cars.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is of course a handwash, I would not let them do it if it was automated, but probably not a completely diligent one as they wash a lot of cars quickly with the same rags.
fortunately automatic car washes are not a thing here in china, but hand washes can be dangerous too if not done properly.
Sponsored