If you live in NJ, don't get pulled over for this like I did!

iDerek2

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate the cops in New Jersey, racist as hell and find any reason to search your car for the most stupidest shit.
Sponsored

fenerli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring CVT WOP
Country flag
On a previous car, I got an "obstructed view" ticket for having a radar detector mounted on the windshield because in NJ they can't give you a ticket for having a radar detector. Cop wrote "radar detector" in parenthesis to make it obvious in case I fought in court which I didn't since it's not a moving violation and only state moneymaker ticket.

Also on multiple occasions, I got warnings for having a clear plastic shield cover on my front license plate which I always install to protect from minor bumps to the front bumper center. Cop got all bent out of shape over how it doesn't work on laser jammers and traffic cams, etc. I said chillax, it's only for bump protection:bump:

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
On a previous car, I got an "obstructed view" ticket for having a radar detector mounted on the windshield because in NJ they can't give you a ticket for having a radar detector. Cop wrote "radar detector" in parenthesis to make it obvious in case I fought in court which I didn't since it's not a moving violation and only state moneymaker ticket.

Was it in the middle of the windshield or what? Mine is all the way down by the vents so there is no obstruction of view at all.

fenerli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring CVT WOP
Country flag
Was it in the middle of the windshield or what? Mine is all the way down by the vents so there is no obstruction of view at all.
it was attached to the windshield with suction cups and positioned flush with the bottom of rearview mirror. So, to me, no obstruction, but to the cop, a reason to give me a ticket. One cop even told me straight out, you have a detector for a "reason" ;)

556ALPHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
it was attached to the windshield with suction cups and positioned flush with the bottom of rearview mirror. So, to me, no obstruction, but to the cop, a reason to give me a ticket. One cop even told me straight out, you have a detector for a "reason" ;)
Common sense fail on cops part. Should have taken a pic and went to court on that one

Last edited:

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Well for me it's the same reason I have scanners. It's just a hobby. I'm usually the one that people are tailgating because I'm not going fast enough for their liking. You know, because going 40 on a 35 road is not fast enough for the important places that everyone else is going.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
all chicken shit tickets.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
in LA county CA, fix it tickets now cost 25 bucks. look for that in your neighborhood soon. don't know about LA the city and hope not to find out.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I'm from CNJ & work around the North Brunswick area. Can confirm all of this.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I am sure plenty of "real criminalls" (drunks and folks with warrants) are located during these stops. I just accept that if I dont play by the rules of the game then I play at my own risk instead of blaming the officiating. Then again self accountability is a dying trait.
If you've had similar experiences you might feel differently. when my apartment was broken into they got a nice camera, an amp, a sub, money, etc... and they stole my change sorter but left it right outside the door emptied out. I showed the cop and asked them about getting prints an I forget the response but it was basically a no. My wife somewhat recently was rear ended with our 2 yr old in the car and the guy took off from the offramp across all the whites back to the freeway. My wife gave them a vehicle description and they left an imprint in the bumper of the plate (which the cop either missed, or didn't care because...) which I called the cop that took the report and gave him the first 4 and what the 5th character could be based on the partial shape of it at least if it was a WA plate and you'd never guess the response I got. "well, keep an eye out you might see it around some day" BUT do something like let off the gas in the 25 zone because the person behind you is riding your ass and flashing their lights and BOOM, cop doesn't hesitate to ticket you for "improper lane travel"...

That said, I HAVE met some nice officers that were respectful back to me and let me go from things they definitely didn't need to after giving me the "talk".

So what do they do if a person from out of state tries to pump their gas in New Failsey like they would in EVERY other state in the country?
OR also

I've been to NJ. Having someone pump it can be nice, ie. if it's cold, but from what I remember, you often have to wait a few minutes for someone, as the one or two people are going around doing everyone else's gas. Also the price to pay them is put into the gas price.
I don't like it when they just drop the cap and let it hang/bounce off your car (yes I know its plastic...) or drip gas on the car or even behind the gas door I still try not to drip gas in there on my own car... they just usually don't really care I don't think. I know there is cheaper but I remember last time I flew from WA to NJ I noticed gas was a good deal cheaper.

It is the same in WA. I went over there and when I pulled in to pump some gas my friend told me to stay in the car
You must mean D.C. ??? because we pump our own in WA. or you were on the wrong side of the border in OR thinking you were in WA.

556ALPHA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Sorry to hear that you had some less than good luck with lazy cops. Way to still keep a good outlook. I was just saying if I run no tag or get limo tint I take my chances and dont blame it on the cop.

royson345

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Sedan
Country flag
Everything about New Jersey is annoying. Having a front facing license plate is something I wish they would get rid of too. I would rather pump my own gas but being from NJ my whole life I've gotten used to it. I will say though that the gas station right down the street from me, I'm very cool with the attendant and when I'm paying with my CC he doesn't mind me pumping my own gas at all. Only when I pay cash he has to swipe his card first but will still let me pump it myself.
Sponsored