If you live in NJ, don't get pulled over for this like I did!

CTRXgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 civic cx hatch B20 V / 07 Audi A4 / and a gen x 2018CTR comin June 20th
Country flag
I’ve got stopped 3 times here in nj.. all for tints and no front plate. got two front plate tickets.. I have a script for the tints so they couldn’t get me on that even though I have my windshield tinted also. Just gotta know how to talk to them. Like you said be respectful

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
Yeah I try to avoid NJ when I go on my trips from Kansas City to Connecticut to visit family. I got pulled over 3 times on I-80 for not having a front plate (Kansas does not have front plates unless you pay to get one) and dealer put a dealer plate frame on my car and they did not like that either. Needless to say I could not fix the front plate issue and I did not remove the back plate frame cause I did not have a screwdriver. On the third time I received a 180 dollar ticket for not having a front plate but I thank God Kansas had my back and NJ decided to drop it. NJ is nothing but a nightmare state.

EDIT: This was about 3-4 years ago now and to this day it amazes me.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I try to avoid NJ when I go on my trips from Kansas City to Connecticut to visit family. I got pulled over 3 times on I-80 for not having a front plate (Kansas does not have front plates unless you pay to get one) and dealer put a dealer plate frame on my car and they did not like that either. Needless to say I could not fix the front plate issue and I did not remove the back plate frame cause I did not have a screwdriver. On the third time I received a 180 dollar ticket for not having a front plate but I thank God Kansas had my back and NJ decided to drop it. NJ is nothing but a nightmare state.

EDIT: This was about 3-4 years ago now and to this day it amazes me.
That's just idiotic on NJ's part. Literally zero common sense in "enforcing" that for states that don't issue front plates.

There are tons of PA & WV cars here (no front plates issued for either state) in VA. It's no issue here.

fenerli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring CVT WOP
Country flag
I had a european style custom license plate on my Golf back in the days and of course I got pulled over by NJ state trooper. He asked what's that plate in the front and I said it's "cosmetic" and I said I'm moving to CT where front plate is optional (at the time). Needless to say, that was one of my lucky days and he let me go with only a warning...

OP
OP
little_red_honda
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
On a previous car, I got an "obstructed view" ticket for having a radar detector mounted on the windshield because in NJ they can't give you a ticket for having a radar detector. Cop wrote "radar detector" in parenthesis to make it obvious in case I fought in court which I didn't since it's not a moving violation and only state moneymaker ticket.

Also on multiple occasions, I got warnings for having a clear plastic shield cover on my front license plate which I always install to protect from minor bumps to the front bumper center. Cop got all bent out of shape over how it doesn't work on laser jammers and traffic cams, etc. I said chillax, it's only for bump protection:bump:
Ive learned online that cops can get around radar detectors by turning on their radars at a precise time, so i don't even have one. I just have a dash cam mounted up behind the mirror on the windscreen.

OP
OP
little_red_honda
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan
Country flag
Everything about New Jersey is annoying. Having a front facing license plate is something I wish they would get rid of too. I would rather pump my own gas but being from NJ my whole life I've gotten used to it. I will say though that the gas station right down the street from me, I'm very cool with the attendant and when I'm paying with my CC he doesn't mind me pumping my own gas at all. Only when I pay cash he has to swipe his card first but will still let me pump it myself.
I know, NJ is so bad with all these little dumb laws. Is there a reason nj has a front plate but other states don't?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Ive learned online that cops can get around radar detectors by turning on their radars at a precise time, so i don't even have one. I just have a dash cam mounted up behind the mirror on the windscreen.
Doesn't matter. If a cop hits someone within 1-2 miles of someone around me, I'll see it and slow down.

fenerli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring CVT WOP
Country flag
I got a dashcam still waiting to install but I read somewhere that in NJ you can't mount it on the windshield if/with it's screen is visible to the driver...here comes the subjective ticket fights...

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Agreed, they can bust you for a dash mounted GPS if they wanted to.
Sponsored