If you buy your Honda at Dealership X, but there is an issue. Can you take it to A,B,C Dealership?

Buttagood4you

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 1997
I've seen people here talk about how they've taken their vehicle to the dealership to fix little issues like dents; audio, engine, etc.

If you went ahead and purchased your vehicle at dealership X. Do you have to keep going to that dealership if you want them to fix your car issues? Or can you go to your local dealership and get it fixed there too.

I want to eventually buy a civic. if I were to buy it from a dealer really far away but if I have to keep driving hella far away just to get them to fix something it seems inconvenient.

How does this work? Any tips or common sense that I should know after my purchase?
Sponsored

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You can take your car to any Honda dealership you want, no matter what dealer you bought it from. Warranty is a warranty anywhere. I bought my Nissan 370Z in California and I've brought it to a dealer here in Honolulu for warranty work. No problems what so ever.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Technically yes. It does not matter exactly where you purchased your car if it needs warranty work. However, the dealership where you actually purchased the car might be a bit more accommodating than others especially if its a small issue.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I bought mine at a dealer 90 miles away. I haven't had to take it in for anything yet but when I do it will be to a dealer close to me.

KenBT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've seen people here talk about how they've taken their vehicle to the dealership to fix little issues like dents; audio, engine, etc.

If you went ahead and purchased your vehicle at dealership X. Do you have to keep going to that dealership if you want them to fix your car issues? Or can you go to your local dealership and get it fixed there too.

I want to eventually buy a civic. if I were to buy it from a dealer really far away but if I have to keep driving hella far away just to get them to fix something it seems inconvenient.

How does this work? Any tips or common sense that I should know after my purchase?
This premise applies to all makes: you can purchase from any dealer and have it serviced by any dealer.

But here's where it gets to your advantage if you get it serviced at the same dealer you bought it from- especially if you purchased an extended warranty from them.

If for example the warranty expired in say- 4 years total- that dealer service dept may if you had a warranty issue that (bad tranny, etc.)- was covered call in Honda and request it be done- but let's say it's now 4.5 or 5 years now- just within a year past the extended warranty- if you had it done serviced by a different dealer(s) you might be SOL- but since you patronaged the dealership you bought it from- from day 1- they normally help those customers!

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I agree with that. All things equal you should take it to the dealer you bought the car from. But if it's too far (my case) or you aren't happy with their service department for some reason then take it elsewhere.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The Honda warranty applies to all Honda dealerships.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
If for example the warranty expired in say- 4 years total- that dealer service dept may if you had a warranty issue that (bad tranny, etc.)- was covered call in Honda and request it be done- but let's say it's now 4.5 or 5 years now- just within a year past the extended warranty- if you had it done serviced by a different dealer(s) you might be SOL- but since you patronaged the dealership you bought it from- from day 1- they normally help those customers!
I highly doubt it's common occurrence for a manufacturer to cover a repair under warranty when it expired 6-12 months prior, just because you've been loyal to a specific dealer. The dealer itself could be more helpful towards you, but it makes no difference to the manufacturer what dealer you service the vehicle at.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Manufacture warranty will work at any dealer. A dealer specific warranty, like paint/dent protection, might be dealer specific, check the warranty fine print.
Sponsored