"If this screen is displayed repeatedly when starting the vehicle, see your dealer."

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L
I'll be calling the service department today. I did not order GPS [correction: navigation]. The check list in my paperwork indicates Honda Sensing items as it should. I hope there is a quick fix to quit what the system is trying to do. There should not be a GPS [correction: navigation].

This problem began immediately after having interior illumination installed. It has been doing this for two days, with trips lasting over 20 minutes. This message remains on screen unless either camera is in use. Cannot get into menus. Cannot set clock. Cannot get into climate control without starting the lane watch camera first.

See attached image.

Honda Civic 10th gen "If this screen is displayed repeatedly when starting the vehicle, see your dealer." HondaScreen.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Wouldn't you want to take it back to the place where you had the interior illumination installed, since it started immediately after that?

OP
OP

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't you want to take it back to the place where you had the interior illumination installed, since it started immediately after that?
If I have to, of course. I'm just hoping there's a simple fix like "hold these two buttons for 5 seconds" or whatever. The location of my particular dealer is a real pain to get home from due to traffic. Can wait until the weekend I guess. I could have said something before I left but I was too distracted and following someone out.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
The headunit (for U.S. EX and up trims) has a GPS receiver built-in. It is used to log data and provide features like auto-timezone setting for the clock. You can also see that the GPS has acquired a sattelite lock by the small icon at the top of the home screen, or by swiping down from the top and seeing the GPS message.

Presumably it is the same GPS used by the NAV equipped cars (EX-L NAV and Touring trims).

It is mentioned in the manual that some devices can interfere with the GPS receiver. My guess is that the dealer is going to blame the light modifications you had done (whether that is the actual problem or not).

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
That happened to my vehicle when I installed the ambient lighting/console kit on my vehicle. Like someone mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a gps - more like other tech that uses satellite to work with your vehicle.

What I had to do was start my vehicle out in my driveway since there wasn't any tall things that would've interfered with the satellite. Did it for a few minutes, then drove it around for a bit in the open area and it disappeared.

I believe that screen comes up when power is disconnected from your vehicle and is required to restart.

I'll be calling the service department today. I did not order GPS. The check list in my paperwork indicates Honda Sensing items as it should. I hope there is a quick fix to quit what the system is trying to do. There should not be a GPS.

This problem began immediately after having interior illumination installed. It has been doing this for two days, with trips lasting over 20 minutes. This message remains on screen unless either camera is in use. Cannot get into menus. Cannot set clock. Cannot get into climate control without starting the lane watch camera first.

See attached image.

HondaScreen.JPG

OP
OP

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That happened to my vehicle when I installed the ambient lighting/console kit on my vehicle. Like someone mentioned, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a gps - more like other tech that uses satellite to work with your vehicle.

What I had to do was start my vehicle out in my driveway since there wasn't any tall things that would've interfered with the satellite. Did it for a few minutes, then drove it around for a bit in the open area and it disappeared.

I believe that screen comes up when power is disconnected from your vehicle and is required to restart.
Hey thanks for the response. Yes, I misunderstood what the car is equipped with. It does have GPS, it does not have the navigation feature. So anyway, the unit also did not behave well for the service department after attempting a software upgrade and I'll have to bring it in again for more service. May or may not have to replace the head unit. TBD.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hey thanks for the response. Yes, I misunderstood what the car is equipped with. It does have GPS, it does not have the navigation feature. So anyway, the unit also did not behave well for the service department after attempting a software upgrade and I'll have to bring it in again for more service. May or may not have to replace the head unit. TBD.
Another issue would be whoever installed the lighting forgot to plug in all the plugs in the back of the unit. It can possibly happen since in my vehicle there was about 10 plugs to remove and plug back in.

OP
OP

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another issue would be whoever installed the lighting forgot to plug in all the plugs in the back of the unit. It can possibly happen since in my vehicle there was about 10 plugs to remove and plug back in.
Service department maintains this is coincidental to the lighting installation but I'm with you. I had all three interior lighting features added (center console stripes, glow above the feet, and glowing "civic" metal thing at the bottom of the door). Computer was working before so you'd think these events are causally connected.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Service department maintains this is coincidental to the lighting installation but I'm with you. I had all three interior lighting features added (center console stripes, glow above the feet, and glowing "civic" metal thing at the bottom of the door). Computer was working before so you'd think these events are causally connected.
Agreed. If Honda won't diagnose it by taking out the headunit to check all the connections, I would definitely bring it to the installer of the lighting kits. I had someone help me with installing my kit, and I'm glad he did because all the connectors were a little overwhelming for me.

OP
OP

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. If Honda won't diagnose it by taking out the headunit to check all the connections, I would definitely bring it to the installer of the lighting kits. I had someone help me with installing my kit, and I'm glad he did because all the connectors were a little overwhelming for me.
All references I make to a service department refer to my local Honda dealer and their on-site service. They will be handling this issue and were also the ones who installed the said lighting options among other purchased add-ons.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
All references I make to a service department refer to my local Honda dealer and their on-site service. They will be handling this issue and were also the ones who installed the said lighting options among other purchased add-ons.
Oh, you didn't make that clear. But that's good...it simplifies the diagnosis & repair process!

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
That's good, then Honda should definitely be able to help with that :)
Sponsored