If the Si had 230 HP, would you still have bought the R?

Si 230 HP at $25K, or still type R?

• Yes, still want the Type R. A type R is a Type R.

Votes: 210 82.7%
  • No, this Si is the exact car I have been looking for. Thanks Honda for saving me money.

Votes: 44 17.3%

• Total voters

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
To answer the OP's question. Remembering my mindset from a year ago when I bought my CTR - I would have bought the SI with 230HP instead of the CTR only if it had a manual shift option. At the time I didn't like the wing of the CTR and looked into removing it. Now that I've owned my CTR for a year I'm glad I didn't buy any other car and actually like the wing. There are a few minor things I'd change such as making the overall ride a bit smoother, saving the selected drive mode on startup, and not weakening the power in comfort mode. Overall its a real privilege to own a CTR and the perfect car for me.
Power isn't weakened in comfort mode though. Never has been. They just remap the throttle. Full send in +R, Sport, and comfort should all provide the same power. Though 25% throttle in sport or +R might equate to 50% throttle in comfort.
Sponsored

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Factory torque curves are different through the modes, according to the charts Hondata provided. This is for a stock car. If running Hondata, torque curves are the same through all three modes.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I honestly thought I would miss not having a sunroof more. I havent not had 1 in well over a decade. I'm the type that uses it all year, even in the rain.(commute is 95% highway) Well see if I still feel this way when Summer hits.
I could understand if you planned on tracking/autoX the car since it raises center of gravity and takes away headroom for your helmet but many of us never plan to track it so it'd be nice to have it. You can't have everything I guess though

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Id like heated seats but no lane watch and sunroof are a plus to me.
I love LaneWatch it's one of my absolute favorite features on this car for highway driving. I think the hate for it is completely unwarranted and if you don't want it you can literally tap 3 buttons in settings and turn it off.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I love LaneWatch it's one of my absolute favorite features on this car for highway driving. I think the hate for it is completely unwarranted and if you don't want it you can literally tap 3 buttons in settings and turn it off.
If you're actively engaged and watching the road, why is that one of your favorite features? Do you text and drive?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're actively engaged and watching the road, why is that one of your favorite features? Do you text and drive?
I used it to judge distance away from me (like on narrow streets) because I'm less confident in judging how close I am on that side of the car. Lanewatch was great. I'm not sure how you instantly equated it to being a distracted driver.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The differences between the SI and the type R are almost too radical to be able to make a comparison. I had a 2015 Si, which I traded on the type R. I enjoyed driving it, but the biggest problem for me was torque steer. If the car had 230 hp, it would be just that more unreasonably difficult to handle on acceleration. So, for me, the type R is a no-brainer, given that you can deal with the price differential. If not, or if the basic handling differences are not important to you, the Si is a good choice. The best way to describe the CTR is extremely poised, which my Si was not. The CTR chassis and suspension, and yes, OEM wheels and tires, are superlative in that respect.

Regarding the nanny stuff, which keeps coming up. I do not want anything in a car that makes it drive itself relative to other cars. I realize that there are things going on in the Type R system that help to balance the car in cornering, such as the application of the rear brakes to balance in turns, but that’s okay; it’s within the automobile itself, not relative to other vehicles. I want to completely drive the car in respect to others.

I did like lane watch and miss it. My extension of that would be to have cameras on both sides with an option to have them up on a split screen when you’re driving the Interstate, and a fast way of cycling between that and the other options on the screen. It just is better than mirrors, but I only want the data that it would provide, not to have the car doing what it wants to do or giving me proximity indications that I don’t really need. I want to be in control of properly interacting with the vehicles around me. For me, the weakest point of the CTR is the very slow so-called ‘infotainment’ system, which is where the expanded lane watch data would be displayed. It’s essential to driving the car well, especially in distance highway driving, but it is so slow that it’s often more of a distraction than an aid. I’m always waiting for something that I want to happen to happen, sometimes, clicking again, because it seems that I must not have hit the proper button, which just compounds the problem, so it’s a distraction.

The other minor stuff, eh, heated seats, have never had them and never missed them, the sunroof, who needs it, it weighs a lot and takes up space in the overhead, the overall design and cosmetics, well that’s a personal matter. I like it, and so does everybody else that sees the car in person.

You should also look at You Tube regarding proper adjustment of mirrors and blind spot mirrors, makes a big difference in situational awareness.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
It's much quicker to glance a few inches down to the screen and get the whole scene rather than look all the way over to the right sideview mirror and still have blindspots. It's definitely faster and safer to use LaneWatch. I just keep it on almost the entire time on the highway.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
You should also look at You Tube regarding proper adjustment of mirrors and blind spot mirrors, makes a big difference in situational awareness.
I actually did do this after advice from someone from this forum I think. There's a way to eliminate most of your blind spots. That's how my mirrors are positioned right now, it's just that glancing down at the screen is much faster for me than looking all the way over at the sideview mirror and the right rear window.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
It's much quicker to glance a few inches down to the screen and get the whole scene rather than look all the way over to the right sideview mirror and still have blindspots. It's definitely faster and safer to use LaneWatch. I just keep it on almost the entire time on the highway.
Agreed, Lane Watch is the only electronic 'aid' that I regret not having on the CTR. It doesn't do anything in itself, it's passive, just provides more and better data for the driver in doing what he should be doing.

Last edited:

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
While I drive a 6MT 2.0 sedan, I am heavily considering a R in the next few years. At current, I’d never consider an Si. For 2 reasons.
1) I already own a 18 Accord Sport with the 1.5. Not impressed. Solid motor for commuting. Not a “Si-worthy” motor.

2) forced sunroof. Those of us that are tall and know the horrors of failed sunroofs just simply don’t want one.

How I would buy an Si?
Coupe.
Slicktop.
Accord 2.0T detuned R engine.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Si should of gotten the 2.0 Accord engine but I'm sure it'll be in the 11 gen Civic Si. So worth the wait if you can't get your hands on the CTR.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
There are still a lot of CTRs available. If you can deal with the price differential, why would you not go ahead with that and get the chassis, body stiffness, and handling improvements, rather than just a more powerful Si with its handling issues, perhaps exaggerated by more power and torque? I did own one.

Certainly, Honda would not have provided the larger engine in the Si for free, so the price gap between the Si and Type R would have been reduced as would the value difference ratio, perhaps reducing Si sales. Where's the gain in either? These are smart marketing people. It would have been interesting if the CTR was offered in coupe, sedan, and hatchback, I might have bought a coupe, although I find the hatchback much more practical. They wanted to penetrate the ‘hot hatch’ market, which they effectively did. Some of that simply because the competition is dated. Honda refreshed that market. Having only one model allowed them to concentrate production at Swindon, rather than diversifying it over locations that produce the other configurations, smart. They knew from day one that it would be a limited run.

Enjoy it.
Sponsored