T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
like the the one found in the ILX, would you consider it?

Or would it just limit availability of the 6 speed versions to the rarity of the 6 speed EX-T?

Also does anyone have any experience with the DCT from Honda? It says it has a torque converter to smooth low speed driving.

Does this defeat one of the benefits of a DCT system, which is mitigating driver train power loss?
Sponsored

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
my friend has an ilx with the dct. it shifts very quick but it's not the smoothest. I had a drag race with him and we came up about even but probably because it was my first month with a manual. This is my first manual and from now on.. Every car I'll own will be a manual. Autos take the fun away.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think manuals are superior or anything like that. I'm sure any modern, good auto could outperform me.

With that said, no.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The DCT would probably price this car well outside its target segment. Keeping it limited to the ILX gives Acura some relevancy. Particularly for those willing to pay a little more for an entry level compact luxury sedan.

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I purchased an Si specifically to get a manual. So no, I would not be interested in an automatic.

Besides being fun to drive, manual transmissions seem much more reliable with regard to repairs. Knock wood, etc. but I have driven four manuals (three purchased used) a total of more than 400,000 miles without transmission problems. Three of the cars had ~200,000 miles when sold.

Yeah, I probably just jinxed myself. Hope not, though. I really like the Si.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
The DCT would probably price this car well outside its target segment. Keeping it limited to the ILX gives Acura some relevancy. Particularly for those willing to pay a little more for an entry level compact luxury sedan.
I'd argue it would have sold better/made more sense to offer a DCT. The current Si does a poor job being the TypeR's little brother, so they might as well make it a sporty touring-like trim (like replacing the Touring/Sport Touring trim altogether).

But that's a deeper argument I've already ranted about on how the trims/options for the Civic are a complete mess. The Si should be built to make sense in Honda's family lineup, not to a specific pricepoint.

sidestory - went to a Honda dealer this weekend to help a friend look at a CR-V. They had 4 Si's on the lot and the manager said they weren't selling well.

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely not and I think the majority of true Si enthusiasts would say the same.

If the Si wasn't a manual, I wouldn't have bought it. Period. My first car was a manual (Civic EJ) and I will continue to only buy manual cars as long as I can.

If the Si can in DCT would it accelerate more quickly? Yeah. But the Si would be dead....

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I got the Si also because I couldn't find an EXT sedan in manual

Was just wondering if the Si had an automatic option would the manuals be a unicorn status

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
Not going to say the Si is outright 'dead,' but it is a hard market for the car, and Honda is mostly to blame. Power-wise, the Si isn't special anymore when compared to other trims and it's competitors. where the Si excels is in its agility, and how nimble it is in corners. IMO I don't think that a DCT would ruin the Si, but the M/T is much more engaging. But then the argument comes in about paddle shifters... idk, it will be a never-ending argument.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I bought the Si because I found finding a hatch sport in a manual was damn near impossible. Then the Si was launched and it checked all the other things I wanted but couldn't get. I wouldn't have bought the Si if it either didn't come with a manual or finding one was as difficult as the other trims.
Sunroof? Check
Heated Seats? Check
Manual? Check

Oh yeah and all these things standard.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it would be a better option than the CVT for all other trims.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I would think people would look to the ilx or even the tlx if they want a sporty auto. As far as doing a poor job as the type r's little brother, I disagree. It's the closest to a type r as you can get in terms of street handling and feel that other type r owners and car reviewers have claimed in testing both cars. Of course the track would be a different story. I was looking into a manual hatchback sport, but what sold me on the si was the smoother shorter transmission shift feels, the seats, and the tighter handling the si had to offer over the hatch.
Sponsored