If anyone from Honda reads this board...

shabadoo25

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Please give us a DCT automatic Si. Your primary competitors have this as an option.

If you don't, I'll be checking them out when it's time to turn my EX-L in.
Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check out the Acura ILX... 8 speed DCT.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
So long as the DCT has long term reliability.
Many of them don't, and end up being so expensive to repair than it's not worth fixing the car. What I like about Honda is they won't beta test it on their customers like some other manufacturers.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Please give us a DCT automatic Si. Your primary competitors have this as an option.

If you don't, I'll be checking them out when it's time to turn my EX-L in.
I hopefully with 11th gen they have a DCT. Hyundai is going to have their DCT in Hyundai Veloster N and their new Elantra N-Line. Honestly Hyundai and Kia are catching up to Honda super fast. If I were Honda I would be worried.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I hopefully with 11th gen they have a DCT. Hyundai is going to have their DCT in Hyundai Veloster N and their new Elantra N-Line. Honestly Hyundai and Kia are catching up to Honda super fast. If I were Honda I would be worried.
Civic outsells the Elantra on a greater than 2:1 margin in the US. Honda isn't worried.
Corolla is by far Civic's main competitor. Even if they don't offer Si and type R equivalents. And the reason they don't is there is not much money in those niche markets anyway. It's all about the $$$.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
So long as the DCT has long term reliability.
Many of them don't, and end up being so expensive to repair than it's not worth fixing the car. What I like about Honda is they won't beta test it on their customers like some other manufacturers.
Acura has been using a DCT since 2015, that's probably enough beta testing by now?

I understand your concerns about DCTs though, personally I would never want one unless it was in a dedicated sports car. I'd rather have an old fashioned planetary gear automatic. Civic Si doesn't really need a DCT.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I like DCT's and all but hope they keep the Civic Si manual. The moment they sell DCT it'll cannabalize the manual sales and down goes another one of the few manual cars you can buy new.

Last edited:

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like DCT's and all hope they keep the Civic Si manual. The moment they sell DCT it'll cannabalize the manual sales and down goes another one of the few manual cars you can buy new.
You really think so? I feel like the demographic in the market for an Si will still overwhelmingly choose the manual. Similar to the wrx. 90% of wrx purchasers opt for the manual. Almost not even worth it for Subaru to offer the auto. I don't think it's in Honda's interest either.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You really think so? I feel like the demographic in the market for an Si will still overwhelmingly choose the manual. Similar to the wrx. 90% of wrx purchasers opt for the manual. Almost not even worth it for Subaru to offer the auto. I don't think it's in Honda's interest either.
I think it may because the people who discount the Si because of the lack of an automatic or DCT may all start buying the Si when it is offered with it instead of buying for example a GLI/GTI. I think the primary reason the WRX still sells more manuals is because the alternative is a CVT and not even a traditional auto. If they offered a DCT/traditional auto on the WRX it may be different.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it may because the people who discount the Si because of the lack of an automatic or DCT may all start buying the Si when it is offered with it instead of buying for example a GLI/GTI. I think the primary reason the WRX still sells more manuals is because the alternative is a CVT and not even a traditional auto. If they offered a DCT/traditional auto on the WRX it may be different.
I don't think so, I think Honda and Subaru niche market guys simply prefer the manual.
Take the twins(brz/86) for example.. 78% of brz sales are manual while only 33% of 86 sales are manual. VERY interesting stat, to me anyway...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/subaru-brz-manual-transmission-take/

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
DCT is hit or miss with the exception of Porsche's PDK.
DCT's achilles heel is low speed operation. The clutches have trouble getting the car underway and working smoothly at walking speeds. Torque multiplication is not their strong point. Honda makes torque-converter DCTs which completely solve the problem since the torque converter does all the low-speed and torque multiplication duty. All the Acuras, I think, have the torque-converter DCTs. I read somewhere where the Japanese version of the Honda Civics get the torque converter DCT. Nothing but the best for the Japanese market. We get the janky CVT mainly to protect the Acura brand. That is, Honda can't offer the good auto on NA Civics because it would cannibalize sales from Acura.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DCT? Isn't that the finishing move of Jake the snake Roberts?? Oh wait, that's DDT. Hahaha!!!
Sponsored