If a Honda Civic 2017 is Released, Will Civic's 2016 Price Drop?

AceGuy0906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Country flag
Hello all,

Simple question in the subject line. I'm thinking of buying my first car, but I would like to wait for the price to drop.

I'm trying to keep this purchase under 19k if possible. The dealer Invoice for the 2016 Honda Civic EX is 19500. And after speaking with a dealer last week, they were in the 20,000 - 20,500 range.

Is there any chance that the market price for the 2016 EX Model would drop if a 2017 Honda EX comes out later this year?
Sponsored

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
19k is below invoice and more for an EX CVT, it is very unlikely you will get that price for a EX.
20k is reasonable. Price will drop for 2016 when 2017 comes out, but don't expect a massive drop since Civics are moved very easily.

OP
OP

AceGuy0906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Country flag
19k is below invoice and more for an EX CVT, it is very unlikely you will get that price for a EX.
20k is reasonable. Price will drop for 2016 when 2017 comes out, but don't expect a massive drop since Civics are moved very easily.
Right. That was exactly my thinking. I'm gonna try to get as close to $19.5k as possible, and I'm banking on a 2017 Honda Civic release to make that easier.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
If you haven't already, see my spreadsheet that I made and others contributed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Va6t509Fom-zbmPpCz4BNqhbws8uLl70NUdIJqiIOv8

Here in North GA/South TN, our fixed price dealer (makes great for comparison sakes) was selling EXs at a sale price of $19,000 since I started watching back in April (so likely well before that) and had a few older builds it was clearing out for Memorial Day (and likely again for Labor Day) for $18,000. I leased my EX-T at a sale price of $20,000. 2017 Accords and Ridgelines are already here, so Civics should be coming before too long. If they aren't pressured to sell yet, they will be. The upcoming Holiday MIGHT be a good chance to try again, but if you can't get it at around $19k now, then wait until 2017s come out or call around more. I'd understand if you're having difficulty getting a "with Sensing" model, but everyone else still should have a large amount of stock with increasing pressure to sell.

If you're going to pay $20k+, then get a 2017 model as it'll likely have many of the issues worked out.

OP
OP

AceGuy0906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Country flag
If you haven't already, see my spreadsheet that I made and others contributed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Va6t509Fom-zbmPpCz4BNqhbws8uLl70NUdIJqiIOv8

Here in North GA/South TN, our fixed price dealer (makes great for comparison sakes) was selling EXs at a sale price of $19,000 since I started watching back in April (so likely well before that) and had a few older builds it was clearing out for Memorial Day (and likely again for Labor Day) for $18,000. I leased my EX-T at a sale price of $20,000. 2017 Accords and Ridgelines are already here, so Civics should be coming before too long. If they aren't pressured to sell yet, they will be. The upcoming Holiday MIGHT be a good chance to try again, but if you can't get it at around $19k now, then wait until 2017s come out or call around more. I'd understand if you're having difficulty getting a "with Sensing" model, but everyone else still should have a large amount of stock with increasing pressure to sell.

If you're going to pay $20k+, then get a 2017 model as it'll likely have many of the issues worked out.
Thanks for the information! I'm trying to purchase sometimes before December, so I have time on my side, I think. In all reality, I might be able to wait until April 2017 (I live in NYC and a car is not essential). However, I'm heading to graduate school in Fall 2017 and I'll be in Upstate NY where a car is a necessity, because public transportation is a rare commodity.

Again, thanks for the info! If anything I'll try to wait for the 2017 and then decide whether the price of the 2016 outweighs any feature-benefits of the 2017 price. Since I'll be going back to school, price will probably win out. Short of me winning the lottery!

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I know it depends on location, but I bought my EX-T for $19200, plus TTL + $200 for splash guards....a few others have bought from same dealership I did and received similar prices....

OP
OP

AceGuy0906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Country flag
I know it depends on location, but I bought my EX-T for $19200, plus TTL + $200 for splash guards....a few others have bought from same dealership I did and received similar prices....
That's a great price. I've gotten online quotes for 20,100 for the EX (which is 500 above invoice price), but I'm hoping that waiting until December reduces the prices as close to invoice as possible if not lower.

warren1013dd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Gentleman, I got quoted a 19,990 for a Honda Civic 2016 EX w/ sensing and will receive another $500 off for military discount. I live in Southern California right now. Any ideas on this offer? Should I take it?

Also in the link

It seems like the lowest price for a EX with sensing before TTL 19,100 in Maryland. I already got a 19900 - 500 for military discount so I'm assuming I am getting a decently good quote. Mind you this was offered online through e-mail so I'm sure I can negotiate a little bit more down.

Any ideas/suggestions?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gentleman, I got quoted a 19,990 for a Honda Civic 2016 EX w/ sensing and will receive another $500 off for military discount. I live in Southern California right now. Any ideas on this offer? Should I take it?

Also in the link

It seems like the lowest price for a EX with sensing before TTL 19,100 in Maryland. I already got a 19900 - 500 for military discount so I'm assuming I am getting a decently good quote. Mind you this was offered online through e-mail so I'm sure I can negotiate a little bit more down.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Is that the Sale Price or OTD (Out the Door)? If its the Sale Price then honestly, that's not all that impressive of a price as our local fixed-price dealer had the EX w/ Sensing for $20k Sale Price and that was when I started looking back in April.

Keep in mind that that the 2017s are just about to come out, so you need to be getting an AMAZING price on a 2016 or just wait and get a more polished, reliable 2017.

Of course, the "with Sensing" models are much, much harder to find in stock, so if that's important to you then you might not be able to find the deal you could get from a regular EX or EX-T.

warren1013dd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
Is that the Sale Price or OTD (Out the Door)? If its the Sale Price then honestly, that's not all that impressive of a price as our local fixed-price dealer had the EX w/ Sensing for $20k Sale Price and that was when I started looking back in April.

Keep in mind that that the 2017s are just about to come out, so you need to be getting an AMAZING price on a 2016 or just wait and get a more polished, reliable 2017.

Of course, the "with Sensing" models are much, much harder to find in stock, so if that's important to you then you might not be able to find the deal you could get from a regular EX or EX-T.
That is the sale price, OTD is 22,000. I haven't haggled yet, do you think I should haggle a lower deal online or go in and haggle. I really do want honda sensing and don't want to wait. What do you recommend I do right now.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the sale price, OTD is 22,000. I haven't haggled yet, do you think I should haggle a lower deal online or go in and haggle. I really do want honda sensing and don't want to wait. What do you recommend I do right now.
You should ALWAYS haggle online with as many dealers as you can drive to. Never show up on a lot without a deal already made. Negotiate and see what type of deal and then decide whether it's worth it to buy now or wait.
Sponsored